Is Spark 3 cardio watch reliable?

ashitaka111
ashitaka111 Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi guys! I just bought a watch tomtom spark 3 cardio music. The thing I noticed after first use was the difference between my celphone (runtastic) and the watch. According to runtastic I ran 12 km while the watch was giving me 13.86.
I thought that tomtom is a good brand and it should be way more reliable than a celphone but today I tried again to put "running" mode on the watch and I saw that it was calculating metres even if I was sitting and not moving at all.
Is it normal? Do you guys use it too ? I tried also tu reset it from factory mode but still it has some sort of "demo" on and when I click it starts pretending how fast am I going while celphone doesnt' do anything if I start runtastic and Keep on sit.
Any suggestions ? thanks
fabio

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,948
     Superuser
    Turn off Demo mode by pressing down from the clock and going into Settings> Demo> Off.

A variance in distance between devices is totally normal. The nature of consumer grade GPS is that each data point collected is only accurate to within 15m-30m of your actual location. We give it a lot more credit than it deserves, it is not exact, it is an estimate. The watch collects the data points and then the website tries to figure out a route using them (considering that some points may overlap or duplicate) and a corresponding speed and distance. The watch then smooths the data to come up with the most reasonable route taken according to the algorithm it is programmed with. Every watch, even two of the same model, will come up with different distances and speeds, as they are collecting different GPS data.

I would take care with your buying decision considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (they are just selling out existing stock), and all development has stopped. If you are able, you may want to consider returning the device and going with another brand from a company that is actively in the sports watch market and intends to continue producing and supporting devices.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.