Rider 550 using a lot of bandwidth while riding? — TomTom Community

Rider 550 using a lot of bandwidth while riding?

AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 265 [Exalted Navigator]
edited January 29 in RIDER
Hi, does anyone else experience that the TTR 550 uses a lot of bandwidth while driving and being connected over wifi to a 4G router along the way? I had mine using 900 MByte over a distance of 450 km's, being the only device connected to the 4G router.

It's simply killing my data contract ... ;-)

Have a nice one.

/Anders

Comments

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 726 Superuser
    WiFi is used to download updates (software & maps) and Bluetooth for services (traffic, messages, personal assistant and phone calls).

Obviously it was downloading some updates because of the WiFi connection. You shouldn’t join the 4G WiFi connection, only your home’s WiFi (broadband or whatever you have).

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#WelcometonavigationwithTomTom-RIDER.htm
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#Connectingasmartphone-Prato.htm

TT should be more clear about data usage by informing users with a proper message explaining the purpose and the data consumpion, or by doing more clever things with software...
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 265 [Exalted Navigator]
    ... and I upgraded to the 550 just because the ability to make use of the wifi on the 4G router instead of the phones Bluetooth, I don't always have the phone with me. The router always is ... Crap!

On the other hand, no update was downloaded that I know of but it must have been doing something ...

Let's see if someone from TomTom has something to say about this.

Have a nice day,
    Anders
    It can't be anything else than a failed download of an update (most probably the latest map which is quite large). Don't waste your data contract...

WiFi only releases you from the need of MyDrive Connect and a computer. For anything else you need your smart phone.
    Have a look at the attached pic, well ... guess what dates I was out riding ...

Aug 10, 1.5 Gbyte
    Aug 12, 2 GByte
    Aug 13, 2.75 GByte
    Aug 14, 3.3 GByte ...

... so I doubt it was a misbehaving download, the few downloads that became available were all download using broadband. The amount of data diff's correlates to the distance and hours being in use, more or less.8213dc7b-becb-4900-b7a6-c33fcdfd2190.jpg

Well, I will most likely run it without any connection while riding which is sad since that was the only reason for upgrading.

Have a nice evening,
    Anders
    Something seems wrong.

Anyway the needed amount of data for live traffic is some MBs per month.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1576/~/tomtom-traffic-data-usage.

It would be a nice idea to open a support case with the info supplied here.
    Hi, I have opened a support ticket, let's see what the Tomtom feedback will be ... :-)

Have a nice day,
    Anders
    ... and the answer from Tomtom Support is that not only traffic information is sent while driving but as it moves it will continuously communicate with the Tomtom servers exchanging corrections for GPS data, maps and all other kind of information. So it is pretty clear that even if nothing goes wrong, wifi is not to be used while driving.

As Tomtom say, when connected to a phone instead using Bluetooth it should not use more than 10 MByte/day.

Well, good to understand this. Need to re-think how to use the GPS.

Have a nice day,
    Anders