MyPlaces Display Problem in MyDrive Route Planner — TomTom Community

MyPlaces Display Problem in MyDrive Route Planner

MikeStratMikeStrat Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
Is anybody else experiencing this display problem in the MyDrive Route Planner?

When I click on the MyPlaces icon button, a listing all of my "Favorites" opens, as expected. However, upon arrowing over to the list of Favorites (MyPlaces), the list immediately shifts to showing each favorite from the far right, cutting off the left side of the favorites list. Also, after clicking on the MyPlaces icon button, if I carefully arrow to and click on the "POI Files" link, the display list now becomes split between showing a portion of each Favorite and a portion of each POI File. I hope that is clear.

So is this happening only on my computer (Windows), or is this a known bug? From there. I'd like to know what I can possibly do as this display problem is unworkable, as is. Thanks much in advance for replies.

Mikeeeade249-1b70-47a4-a231-163e26da84bc.jpgde595473-c29d-4cb1-ad44-9c69dca4e051.jpg

Comments

• Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 232 [Exalted Navigator]
    I have experienced this same issue on a Windows PC and made a post earlier - see My Places

@Niall suggested clearing Tomtom cookies which has worked for him but sadly not for me.
  • MikeStratMikeStrat Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thank you much, LS, for the reply. Chrome is also my default browser for viewing the MyDrive Route Planner. However, this Favorites / POI display problem is also happening in the Microsoft Edge broswer, as well as Chrome, on my computer. So I would guess that there must be something else besides cookies at fault.

Mike
    @Mike Strat

Yes, I have tried several different browsers, so concur it may be unrelated to just cookies. Irritating, as I mentioned I have resorted to selecting my places from the map display to generate my routes before sending them to my device :grin:.
    A few minutes ago I uninstalled and reinstalled MyDrive Connect, but to no avail. The Favorites/POI display problem continues to persist. hmmmmm

Mike
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    Mine is working fine in Windows 10/Microsoft Edge. It's also fine on my work PC (not sure what the operating system is there but the browser is Internet Explorer).a8b27c7e-66dc-4b51-a7a0-68cdf6b4fd04.jpgb359ac14-d9e1-40d4-9672-1db9b029bfc5.jpg
    Okee dokee... I've come up with a doable solution for the display problem! Note that I'm not completely happy with it, though, as per my comments further below.

First off, I should point out that I am using a Rider 400 and perhaps the soution will also apply to similar TomTom GPS devices.

What I determined is that excessively long Favorite and POI file names were the cause of the display problem in the MyDrive Route Planner! So what's "excessivly long", you may ask. Well on my Rider 400 device, in MyPlaces, I noticed that the names of several Favorites and POI files were so long that they extended to more than one line. So on a hunch, I edited each of those longer names down to only one line (as displayed on the Rider 400 in MyPlaces)... and whadda ya know... this made the MyDrive Route Planner display problem go away! I'm relieved.

Editorial: OK, so I'm relieved. However, I also feel that having to resort to this solution was a bit bogus. Why should we not be able to have long file names that work with the MyDrive Route Planner? I'm guessing that the display problem originated from "olden days" programming when file names were typically restricted to a rather short length. So can we possibly get TomTom to update the MyDrive Route Planner with a fix for this name length restriction / problem??? Would be very much appreciated.

In the meantime, the "one line, only, name" bandaid works, for now.

Happy riding everybody! : - )

Mike
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    But why do you bee long file names.
    How about this.
    Stowmarket-Cambridge -Romford this would give you a good indication of the route type or Cambridge etc. 2018
    tugman wrote:
    But why do you bee [need] long file names.
    How about this.
    Stowmarket-Cambridge -Romford this would give you a good indication of the route type or Cambridge etc. 2018

Hello Tugman... and thank you for your input! Well I would say that naming of Favorites and POI files can be a personal preference style. I like to include more detail so that I have a better clue when I'm looking through my many saved Favorites and POI files. That said, I'll conform to using shorter names in order to use the MyDrive Route Planner effectively.

Well I just thought of a workable compromise for me: Within my POI files, there are quite a few POIs with an "excessively long" name... and I can keep them there, as such, with no problem. However, if I copy a long named POI to MyPlaces Favorites, for use with the MyDrive Route Planner, I would then simply shorten the name of the Favorite in MyPlaces! :-D

Well I'm good to go, so it's time now for me to get off this computer and get ready to ride! Happy riding... and route planning, everybody! ;-)

Mike
  • Alan CastilloAlan Castillo Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Yep. Exact same problem.

Nothing has solved it :(

en.discussions.tomtom.com/ask-a-question-469/myplaces-shrinks-when-i-mouse-over-1038743
    OK, I solved it !

I had tried making the descriptions shorter but it didn't work.

Now I went through the whole list and made them as short as convenient, and it worked.

Funny thing is, the long ones I edited had been there for a while now, but never had this problem.
  • DanielForniesSoriaDanielForniesSoria Posts: 59 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi All,
    Thanks for reporting this.
    This is a MyDrive Web specific visual issue.
    We have logged a bug and planned fixing it for our next release.

Best Regards,
    Daniel
    Fantastic :)
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 667
    Superuser
    BrianE wrote:
    Mine is working fine in Windows 10/Microsoft Edge.
    Microsoft Edge? So you're the one!
    :wink:
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,341
    Superusers
    Known issue that apparently will be rectified in the next app update.

Some have done a workaround by shortening the names on the list. Others have said they have no problems using Edge as the browser and Windows 10.
  • BoltsBolts Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for your reply.
    When i first loaded it, it worked fine, it only started doing it after some updates.
    Thanks again for your help, I will wait for the update.
    I spent several hours attempting to shorten the names of My Places, but it was just not working for me. @Mike Strat

Having shortened the names so that they do not appear on the right hand side of My Places I am now finding that the shortened names are themselves too long. :thinking:

But as I did not know what is the maximum length for the shortened description this was a complete lottery and waste of my time! However the shortened names have been abbreviated so much that I cannot even understand where they are!!!!!

As others have said above descriptions are personal and as my wife and I go dancing and we put in the My Places description "basic" information for each venue to assist us:

For example we need to know:
    - the style of dance.
    - the name of the dance organisation.
    -whether it is a weekly or monthly dance as the same organisation venues can be in different locations!
    - the dance may be held in a Hall within a large building or School so we need the hall and building name.
    - Plus we need the address
    - which may be up to a 1/4 mile away from the car park so need that address too.

As you can see shortening the description is not going to be an easy task for us especially as I don't even know what description length is valid. But as I have said above the ones I have shortened I now can't read easily. This is made worse as we only travel to some locations every few months or even once a year so we cannot remember all the relevant facts for that dance venue. So I am going to have to spend another few hours reinstating the long descriptions……………. :disappointed_relieved:

I have reported this to Customer Services who have been in touch saying that they acknowledge the bug and that the development team is working on the issue to get it fixed “ASAP”.

I suggested as this issue has been caused by the Development team changing the parameters of the MyDrive program surely the quickest solution is to revert MyDrive back to the previous version "which was working correctly" and then the Development team can release an updated version once they have fixed the display error?

So I then read above that:

“We have logged a bug and planned fixing it for our next release.”

Excuse me for being cynical but 13 months ago MapCodes stopped working in MyDrive and TT advised firstly:

“This might have to do with the search improvements we released yesterday. I'll double check.”

And then confirmed:

“I got a confirmation that this indeed has to do with the recent release. The team is aware of this and will address the matter in a later release. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact release date.”

Fast forward 13 months and we are still waiting ……………. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

So please @Daniel Fornies Soria when is the next MyDrive release expected??

And any news on when the MapCodes functionality will be reinstated to MyDrive?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,038
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Lost Soul

Maybe ???
    The MyDrive Web Route planner is Browser based (I realise there is a screen layout problem)
    The longest file name in Windows 10 (Including the file path) is 260 characters
    See... https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-maximum-character-limit-for-file-names-in-windows-10

As far as I'm aware you can't use the Windows 10 invalid file characters in a file name for the MDW Route planner
    • (greater than)
    • : (colon)
    • (double quote)
    • / (forward slash)
    • \ (backslash)
    • | (vertical bar or pipe)
    • ? (question mark)
    • * (asterisk)
    Maybe the Max file name for the MDW Route planner is 260 characters ???

This is the longest file name I can generate, Holding Shift X down for thirty seconds
    I can't be bothered to count the characters :relaxed:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.gpx

Edit... Word says there are 220 characters including the .gpx

ATB YFM
    Lost Soul wrote:
    I spent several hours attempting to shorten the names of My Places, but it was just not working for me. @Mike Strat

Having shortened the names so that they do not appear on the right hand side of My Places I am now finding that the shortened names are themselves too long. :thinking:

But as I did not know what is the maximum length for the shortened description this was a complete lottery and waste of my time! However the shortened names have been abbreviated so much that I cannot even understand where they are!!!!!

As others have said above descriptions are personal and as my wife and I go dancing and we put in the My Places description "basic" information for each venue to assist us:

LS... I hear ya. I like and need longgg descriptive names, too. That said, I'm doing a work around until TomTom gets around to fixing this display problem.

In my work around, what I first did was to first SAVE all my Favorites into a POI file using Tyre to Travel Pro. I then deleted from MyPlaces what looked to me to be all of the longggg named Favorites (which was most of them) until I got a "normal" display of the MyPlaces column in the MyDrive Route Planner. I then experimented with reinstating the Favorites from the POI file into MyPlaces, one at a time, and then looked to see if the MyPlaces display column was negatively affected. For any such Favorite that messed it up, I then tried to shortened the name further until the display problem went away.

This is a pain in the A workaround and not fully satisfactory, so, in the meantime, I'm keeping the POI file of all my longggg named Favorites for when (and if) TomTom gets around to fixing this bug in the next MyDrive release. Hope this helps a bit.

Mike
    @YamFazMan

I would be ecstatic with 260 characters................ :grinning:

But based on the pop out screen when you first select My Places I am hazarding a guess that to avoid the display "bug" I would need to restrict My Places description lengths down to ~ 40 characters.

That would be almost impossible to meet the majority of my needs - my typical long description is 80-100 characters and that includes a filing system header to group like places together. :thinking:
    @Mike Strat

Hi Mike, I wish I had known about Tyre to Travel Pro beforehand...... :grinning: although it does seem to be geared towards motorcyclists?

Do you think it would be useful for me as a car user?

Although if you can transfer all MY Places simply into a POI file that facility alone may be worth the cost of the subscription; although now I have used the guide created by @GEB * see below:grinning:

I thought I was being sensible to back up my data as I used the Tomtom facility to :

"Download your MyDrive Data"

But all that did to was to generate a GZ Zipped file which upon unzipping showed a Json file.................. :thinking:

Taking the contents into Notepad++ and copying from there to ~MS word created a 181 page document and I would guess it may contain a transcript of my device (Go 6200) "journey movements" plus a listing of My Places etc, but it is in a strange and non-user friendly format............... :grinning: * see below

@Daniel Fornies Soria Is there any TomTom instruction or guide as to how we can use all this information once the data is downloaded from Mydrive???

* I did use the guide and Macro that User @GEB had written for Notepad++ using the macro named Fav2csvNF plus the How to Guide from @YamFazMan which has extracted My Places in a simple and useable format. Thanks guys :ok_hand::grin:
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,038
    Superusers
    Hi
    @BrianE
    BrianE wrote:
    Mine is working fine in Windows 10/Microsoft Edge. It's also fine on my work PC (not sure what the operating system is there but the browser is Internet Explorer).a8b27c7e-66dc-4b51-a7a0-68cdf6b4fd04.jpg
    How did you blur the personal info in the above screengrab

ATB YFM
  • DanielForniesSoriaDanielForniesSoria Posts: 59 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi all,

We have advanced a quick fix for this visual issue and should be available now in https://mydrive.tomtom.com .
    We'll push further fixes and features in the coming release, estimated in a couple of weeks.
    Apologies for the inconvenience!

The MyDrive Web Team.
    @Daniel Fornies Soria

I cleared all the relevant Cookies and relogged back into MyDrive and Yippee I can now select My Places again :grinning: ( this is using a Windows PC with Google Chrome as Browser)

Thank you and the MyDrive Web Team, just got to spend some time reinstating all the long descriptions for My places again .

I look forward to seeing what further fixes and features will be released "shortly". :smiley:
    Hi all,

We have advanced a quick fix for this visual issue and should be available now in https://mydrive.tomtom.com .
    We'll push further fixes and features in the coming release, estimated in a couple of weeks.
    Apologies for the inconvenience!

The MyDrive Web Team.

Well I am quite impressed and happy with this rather quick response and fix by TomTom! Thank you so much, Daniel, for letting us know and for your efforts! I just tested the display fix by entering a rather longggg named Favorite into MyPlaces... and the display works just fine now! : - )

Well, that said... can I now push the envelope a bit more by asking TomTom to provide the ability to widen and narrow the MyPlaces / POI display column, as desired? ; - )

Again, thank you so much, Daniel, and to the rest of the TomTom MyDrive Web Team!

Mike
    Lost Soul wrote:
    @Mike Strat

Hi Mike, I wish I had known about Tyre to Travel Pro beforehand...... :grinning: although it does seem to be geared towards motorcyclists?

Do you think it would be useful for me as a car user?

Although if you can transfer all MY Places simply into a POI file that facility alone may be worth the cost of the subscription; although now I have used the guide created by @GEB * see below:grinning:

Heya LS... though Tyre to Travel is a great motorcycle planning program, in planning routes, there are icons to select for various modes of transportation, i.e.; car, motorcycle, truck and RV. So I would have to believe it would be great for you as a car user. What I have found is that not one of the Route Planners I use, TomTom MyDrive Route Planner and Tyre to Travel, can do everything, so I have to switch from on to the other, depending on what I need to do. For example, the TomTom MyDrive Route Planner cannot edit, create or open POI files... only download them from an external source into a TomTom decvice. So I use Tyre to Travel for creating and editing POI files.

Also, I'm not sure that the "Pro" version of Tyre to Travel is needed to create and edit POI files. I have the pro version as it came free with my TomTom Rider 400. The basic version is free to everybody, so give that version a try. That said, there are other free POI editors, but I very much like that Tyre to Travel communicates very nicely with my Rider.

Mike