unstable tom tom start 25 — TomTom Community

unstable tom tom start 25

my tomtom start 25 has become unstable and constantly drops out to the main menu and/or tells me that the route had been cancelled.
Most often the first screen to appear says Departure. If I click Yes it then asks me to confirm the Destination. When I click Yes it displays the time and date etc and when I click Done it returns to the planned route.
This is happening approximately every 5 minute but sometimes when I click done it will immediately go to the Departure screen again and sometimes it simply says Route Cleared and I have to re-enter the details of the destination.
I loaded the latest gpsquickfix update and did the cold boot I believe is required last night but no difference today. I'm on holiday and need this device working correctly so I'm getting quite frustrated
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,071
    Superusers
    Hi
    @GPSmith

Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ???? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky

ATB YFM
  • GPSmithGPSmith Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Yamfazman
    Thanks for that. When I had a similar problem about 6 months ago after an update I was told to do the reset and that fixed it. So naturally I already tried that a few times - that's what I meant when I said I had tried a 'cold boot'.
    This time it has had absolutely no effect.
    So my device is currently completely unstable/unusable/worse than useless - when I need it most - being in Queensland about 3000km from home.
    Also I have updated the TomTomDrive software to see if that made any difference but sadly no.
    Cheers with extreme frustration...
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    Slide the sharp edge of a business card completely around the glass under the bezel to loosen any 'grunge' that may have deposited there.

Also, remove a screen protector if you have one.

Finally, are you using the cable that came with the device?
    Thanks dhn
    I don't have a screen protector and I'm using the original cable.
    I have cleaned around the glass and will report if that fixes it when I go out this afternoon (I already got lost this morning in Townsville)
    Cheers with great hopes....
    It's a bummer
    I planned a route to the nearest LPG servo and within 90 seconds of departure it has dropped back to the menu and asked me to confirm the depart point/the destination/the time etc etc etc
    I tried clearing the route and leaving it to just show me the road etc and guess what...
    within about 2-3 minutes... back to the menu...
    No different from before.
    So now I'm about 1 day (left in Townsville) off deciding between a Garmin or a Navman as I can't see much choice but to fork out the $$ and consign my TomTom to the rubbish.
    Thanks to the forum for your help.... if there are any other ideas I'd love to hear them and save the $$
    Cheers and very close to had enough...
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    Perhaps a complete Factory Reset (Restore to Factory Defaults).
    OK, Thanks, I have tried that and loosing my favourites could be a small price to pay.
    Moving on tomorrow so we'll know soon enough if that has stabilized things. I remain ever hopeful
    Cheers
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,567
    Superuser
    Hi all

@GPSmith

You can save your favorites and POIs on your PC before doing the Factory Restore. You will reinstall them after.

See this FAQ and the video:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13814

Regards.
    I have now travelled about 500 km since the reset.
    I'm still dropping back to the menu but only once or twice per day and clicking done returns me to the planned trip.
    So it's very much better and basically usable again even tho' there is still the odd hiccup.
    Thanks for the responses.