"Problem with the map/You cannot use this map on this device" error after update

ElvjElvj Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Using TomTom HOME, I updated my TomTom XXL IQ Routes Edition.

The application for car and motor navigation version is 9.510
The map is Central And Eastern Europe version is 910.4892

After reboot, i get the error:
Problem with map You cannot use this map on this device: Central_and_eastern_europe-781

I tried restoring backup... nothing

Deleting map directory and reinstalling map from TomTom HOME... nothing

It's frustrating that the official tool bricked my satnav.

How I can restore the functionality of my device?

Comments

• correggiocorreggio Posts: 0 [New Traveler]
    edited January 24
    hi
    I bought tomtom xl on the gumtree. there is a problem with map 
    you cannot use this map on this device 

united_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-817

please hellp me . 
    c.no GJxxxxxxxx56

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum.Thanks!
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,465 TomTom Moderator
    Hi correggio

Welcome to the community :)

I have re-activated the map on your account. Please remove the existing map which seems to be corrupted using TomTom HOME.

Once done, please download the fresh map.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Do you know the full history of your device because normally that message indicates that you're using a pirate map that's not compatible with that new application/navcore (not accusing you, just stating a well known error)
    PS that v910 map was released in May-2013 so now over 5 years old!!
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,521 Superuser
    @Elvj

Looking here https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7902/ that map is from May 2013

Remember after each up date to do a soft reset, you will loose nothing, it is like rebooting your computer and reloads all the new files from an update.

A soft reset :- with your device charged for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply; press and hold your on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound (or the TomTom hands symbol appears) then release the on/off button. Make sure you are outside and have a clear view of the sky (satellites)

If this has not restored you map subscription, then contact Customer Services

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • ElvjElvj Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @justmebrowsing

I don't know the device history, this is the first time I work with this satnav.
    This map was dowloaded and installed using the official tool, so I assumed that were the right one.
    I know also that the map is obsolete, but maybe this is due to the fact that the device is old.

@Niall

Already tried to soft reset, but the error message remains.
    The Customer Services isn't an option viable because in my country (Italy) this device isn't supported anymore by telephone or e-mail, so the last way to restore it is the forum.

Where I can get the right map and/or the right navcore?
    hi Elvj

Welcome to the community!

I have reactivated the map on your account, please remove the present map and download a fresh copy using TomTom HOME.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
  • ElvjElvj Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks, now the TomTom works fine!
  • AdhamAdham Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Please help. After connecting my device to my tomtom home for the first time today, my maps are all gone and all say problem with map. Help URGENTLY NEEDED PLEASE !!
    Hi Adham

I have reactivated the map on your account...

Please remove the existing map and download a fresh copy using TomTom HOME.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
  • AdhamAdham Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Dear Vikram,

Thank you for your reply. I've done what you said but halfway through downloading Europe's map, it gives me an error message that says:

Error in contacting server: Failed to write to output file.

And I have tried this several times and it gives me the same message and I am sure that I have a good internet connection.

What do I do now?

Regards,
    Adham
  • StefanpStefanp Posts: 0 [Novice Seeker]
    edited February 25
    Hi my device Tomtom xl classic;
    I share tom tom home and upgrade maps western europe, but my device say: maps problems, don't do the maps in this device, Western_Europe-477: WHY???? PLEASE HELP
    and i don't have oldest maps, what i do???
  • Andre.reisAndre.reis Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    VikramK wrote: »
    hi Elvj

Welcome to the community!

I have reactivated the map on your account, please remove the present map and download a fresh copy using TomTom HOME.

Regards
    Vikram

Hey man are you able to help me i have the same issue :( many thanks
  • Andre.reisAndre.reis Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Hey man can you help? I have the same issue
    Hi @Andre.reis

I have reactivated the map on your device.

First, remove the existing map and then install a fresh copy offered for download in TomTom HOME.

Regards
    Vikram :)
    Have a question? Ask!
  • maga3maga3 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi!

I have the same problem, it gives me an error for map: Europe_East-877.

Would appreaciate any help, thanks!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,552 Superuser
    Hi @maga3

What device and what have you tried to do .

Doug
    It's a TomTom XL, I tried to update the map and it went well but after the unit restarted I received that message, so now I can't use it.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,552 Superuser
    edited March 15
    Hi @maga3

Sorry about this. Have a look at following to see if your unit is one that has been declared obsolete.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1031975/end-of-life-for-tomtom-devices/p1

If It is then maybe we ask if they can sort out your map on the account so you can reload it.

Doug
    VikramK maybe you can help me with my issue?
  • The kid kyboThe kid kybo Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I hope someone can help.
    I have a Carminat Tom Tom system (Renault Scenic 2010) and I recently received a letter from Renault advising me of the 'WNRO' software bug and that i need to update my SD card.
    I followed the instructions to the letter but when I inserted the card into the car it just comes up with 'You cannot use this map in this device: Europe 100565'. There is a 'Continue' option, but it just repeats itself.
    It is a Renault SD card and it says Europe on it. (It came with the car and worked fine before I tried the update).
    I don't know what to do to get it working again.
    Do I need to go to a Renault dealer or did something go wrong with the install?
    Any assistance much appreciated
    Hi @VikramK

Many thanks for the speedy response and for the action you have taken. I hope it resolves the issue.

As I have never done anything like this before, what do I delete exactly?
    Everything from the SD card (i.e. format)?
    Just the map file(s)?
    Or will it be self-explanatory when I perform these steps in the Tom Tom Home program?
    Apologies for the questions, but I don’t want to make things worse.
    I’ll be doing it this evening, when I get home.

Thanks again,
    All sorted.

Thank you @VikramK