Copy between differing device versions, and using Itineraries on newer models — TomTom Community

Copy between differing device versions, and using Itineraries on newer models

Big GMBig GM Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
edited January 11 in RIDER
I have a 2013 model Rider (4GD00) which is still going strong and am touring with two friends, one of whom has the newer Rider 500 and the other a slightly older Rider 410.

I've begun using the MyRouteApp.com site and it is really awesome, although I have experienced an issue in that the route downloader inexplicably will not connect (on my laptop which we have on the tour with us) to the Rider 410.

This is made worse by the fact the Rider 410, despite having the same interface as the Rider 500 will not link to share routes, no matter which way around this is attempted. The Rider 410 does work on the owner's own computer, just not on this one (Windows 10 on both).

I'd already discovered that my early rider model will not accept routes from the 410 (and vice versa) and kind of appreciated that as they are clearly on different operating systems.

What has really annoyed me is the apparent lack of ability to edit itineraries once they are loaded. The reason we've had problems with the download and discovered the routes aren't shareable between devices is that we've decided, due to weather and time constraints, to alter some of the routes we planned prior to the trip. It should be as easy (or easier, given expected progression in development) to just tell the guys which waypoints - on the routes we already loaded before coming away - have been changed or removed.

My older model allows great flexibility with adding, removing or moving waypoints, but there seems to be no option whatsoever to do this on the newer models. Has this feature been removed completely? Is it doable with some sort of smartphone App? I don't own one and therefore don't currently have the inclination to learn for myself, but if someone can answer briefly, can the same route management be done on the 410/500 series as it could be done on my older Rider 4GD00 model, I would love to know!

I guess the main reason I'm curious is that eventually I suppose I'll need a new navigation device, but right now it seems I'll be very dissatisfied with the current Rider models' abilities.

Comments

• AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 267 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi "Big GM",

Am I correct in assuming that your 2013 model Rider uses .itn files to load the waypoints from? If that's the case, and that your friends export the route(s) to their GPS's using .gpx v1.1 you have two totally different types of information in your GPS units.

I would, in the case above, let even your friends use .itn files instead of anything else and that would allow them the samt kind of flexibility as you have. The .itn format is no longer supported by Tomtom but they still have it as an import format so that is good. This should give the same flexibility in the later models as you have in yours. I know it works for me ...

The TTR410 with connectivity problems I know very little about, have an issue with a Win10 tablet which runs a somewhat downsized operating system, hence not running a full USB configuration. Haven't tried my 550 but both my 4x0's failed ...

Have a nice day,

Anders
  • BoarderBoarder Posts: 107 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hi,

the itinery editing ting and file transfers for the new riders disappointing to say the least. Pitiful wouldn’t be to harsh a word.

Have you tried editing on the 2013 model and saving to the sd card, then pass that round. I don’t know which type of sd card the 2013 version used (if any) but if it is a normal one take an adapter and use a micro sd card.

If it doesn’t use one then you can use my route app on a phone or tablet. If you have one of those with an sd card, or the laptop you mentioned, save it to an sd card on that.

Steve
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 252 [Exalted Navigator]
    If you have the laptop with you and it has an SD card reader , using a MicroSD card and adaptor, use MyRoute-App to create a route and save it on the SD card. Then insert the card into the other Riders and import the route.

If the laptop has Bluetooth it may be possible to do an .itn file transfer from the laptop to the 410. The 410 must be in the My Routes menu option - The 410 should say it's Discoverable. Then use the Bluetooth file transfer to send the .itn file to the 410. The 410 should ask to accept the incoming .itn file.

MyRoute-App has an app for tablet and smartphone which is ok for creating routes while on the road.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,207 Superusers
    Hi
    @Big GM
    Big GM wrote:
    I've begun using the MyRouteApp.com site and it is really awesome, although I have experienced an issue in that the route downloader inexplicably will not connect (on my laptop which we have on the tour with us) to the Rider 410.

This is made worse by the fact the Rider 410, despite having the same interface as the Rider 500 will not link to share routes, no matter which way around this is attempted. The Rider 410 does work on the owner's own computer, just not on this one (Windows 10 on both)
    The MyRoute App uses the Tomtom MyDriveWeb Route planner in the transfer process, the MDW Route planner must be running in the background on the PC before a .GPX file syncs/transfers can take place

You can't sync/transfer a .ITN Route using the above method... For .ITN Routes use
    The the PC filing system and the Tomtom 'Easy route upload', Micro SD Card transfer or Bluetooth transfer

Tomtom... 'Easy route upload'
    The Rider 4xx/5xx will give you direct access to a small buffer/transfer area of the Rider 400 Main Memory... You can also access your Micro SD Card, you can drag & drop your .ITN or .GPX route files directly to and from the Rider 400 Memory buffer/transfer area or the Micro SD Memory card over a secure system
    You don't have to have to use the Micro SD Card as a transfer medium
    See…..
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/rider-400-tyre-pro-cant-find-the-device-1005439?postid=1096746

Transfer a .ITN or .GPX route file/s to your NAV4 device using a Micro SD Memory Card...See..... https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/mydrive-ability-to-add-waypoints-1007398?postid=1103601

Transferring a route to my PC using Bluetooth (Or a Micro SD Card)
    Tap (.... Menu) --> MyRoutes --> Share Tracks --> select the Recorded Route
    --> Tap Share --> Choose Memory card or Bluetooth --> Follow the on-screen prompts to completion.....

ATB YFM