Does downloading a new map replace the current map? — TomTom Community

Does downloading a new map replace the current map?

Knightowls73Knightowls73 Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Map purchasing
I am travelling to Canada in a few weeks and need to update the map in my TomTom. My question is, if I download the "Map of Canada & Alaska" does it replace my "Map of USA" or add to it? If I am crossing the border on my trip do I need the "Map of USA & Canada" so one map has both my start point and destination on the same map?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,424
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Knightowls73

Which Tomtom device do you own ???

ATB YFM
  • Knightowls73Knightowls73 Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    TomTom VIA 1410 / 1415 (M / TM / M SE)
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,309
    Superusers
    Well, you could add a 16 gb microsdhc card to your device (SanDisk is a good choice) and then have room for an additional map. I gather you plan to travel to Canada so your choices are USA & Canada (the one I'd pick) and have both maps in your unit, USA and USA_Canada. Then go to manage maps-->switch maps to choose the one you need.

If you select Canada_Alaska, then I guess you'd need to select a route from where you want to start to a border crossing on the USA map then switch to the Canada_Alaska map and choose a route from the border crossing to your destination.

That's why I said I'd choose the USA_Canada map to download. More convenient.
  • Knightowls73Knightowls73 Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thank you, using the USA_Canada map does make a lot more sense than switching back and forth. I was hoping the maps worked in conjunction with one another rather than separately.