TomTom Camper - "Wrong" Speed Limits Displayed — TomTom Community

TomTom Camper - "Wrong" Speed Limits Displayed

QFBQFB Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 2019 in Map quality
Hi

I'm having problems with my new TomTom Camper, the speed limits it's showing me are "wrong" and I've tried everything I can to find a setting to change things and I can't.

In spite of having added my vehicle as a Large Camper with all the correct dimensions the unit shows me the speed limits for the road I'm travelling on as if I were driving a car, surely this cannot be what is supposed to happen?

So, I'm going along a single carriageway "A" road and it tells me the speed limit is 60mph when it is in fact 50mph for my vehicle.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Q

Comments

• QFBQFB Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Sorry if I'm not supposed to do this but just hoping I might be able to get some advice on this as it just seems wrong to me that I insert all the details for a "Large Camper" and then the displayed speed limits are those applicable to a standard car.

Is this really how this expensive Camper specific device is supposed to work? Makes a nonsense of the system sounding an alarm if you are speeding when you are already 10mph above the speed limit for the vehicle you are actually driving! Certainly the Garmin units display the speed limit for the vehicle you are actually driving.
    Hi

Just an update on this. I am sorry to say that my fears have now been confirmed by TomTom Support.

I can confirm that if you enter your vehicle dimensions the TomTom GO Camper WILL NOT take these into account when displaying speed limits and providing speed warnings so if this is important to you avoid this unit. The Garmin equivalent does offer this functionality.

So, driving along a single carriageway road the National Speed Limit for a car is 60mph and the National Speed Limit for a large camper is 50mph. If you are using the TomTom GO Camper with the "Large Camper" settings enabled the speed limit and warnings displayed will be as for a car, 60mph, even though the speed limit for your vehicle is 50mph.

You can therefore drive along breaking the speed limit for your vehicle and you will receive no warning or indication of this fact.

Why this design flaw has not been addressed I do not know, this is not the case with comparable Garmin units which provide accurate speed warnings.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,140 Moderator
    Hi QFB

There seem to be some confusion here. I reviewed the case and I see that you have already requested for the refund.

But I wanted to explain that the whole point to have a camper specific device is to ensure that is gives you routes and speed limits that apply to the selected vehicle profile.

Device should change the max speed limit when it goes to motorways. Speed limits should be shown on the bottom of the screen.

However if you set a predefined speed limit then the device will always consider that value..

Regards
    Vikram
    Yes indeed @VikramK I couldn't agree more, " the whole point to have a camper specific device is to ensure that is gives you routes and speed limits that apply to the selected vehicle profile." - The problem is that it doesn't.

As you say "Device should change the max speed limit when he goes to motorways. Speed limits should be shown on the bottom of the screen." - The problem is that it doesn't. With my "Large Camper" settings the displayed speed limit on a single carriageway road here in the UK is shown as 60mph, the actual limit for my vehicle is 50mph. The same holds true on a motorway, my limit is 60mph, the device shows 70mph as if I were in a car.

I do not set a pre-defined speed limit and TomTom confirmed that I shouldn't need to, they also confirmed that this unit DOES NOT display speed limits appropriate to the the entered vehicle dimensions/weights.

I can't do any more than believe what TomTom support tell me and they have confirmed my own observations, sadly. They said that this unit will not show vehicle size specific speed limits.

It needs fixing, or I need to be given the right instructions!
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,140 Moderator
    Hi Quentin

Well... some misunderstanding here. I will ask the customer service to get back and ask for more info so this can be investigated further.

btw... Did you see this happening on all the routes which you traveled or this behavior was specific to certain roads?

Thanks
    Vikram :)
    VikramK wrote:
    Well... some misunderstanding here. I will ask the customer service to get back and ask for more info so this can be investigated further.
    btw... Did you see this happening on all the routes which you traveled or this behavior was specific to certain roads?

Hi @VikramK - I can confirm that this happens on all roads where there is a difference in the speed limits applicable a Large Camper and a regular car. Obviously if the applicable speed limit for the two vehicles is the same no difference will be apparent.

The unit ALWAYS displays the National Speed Limit applicable to a car; eg. motorway and dual carriageway 70mph, single carriageway 60mph. The respective speed limits on these roads for a Large Camper are however 70mph and 50mph so the limit displayed on the unit on a single carriageway road is 10mph HIGHER than the speed limit applicable to the large Camper.

Where there is a speed limit of say 30mph in an urban area this applies to both types of vehicle so the 30mph displayed by the unit in that instance will be correct for both vehicles.

The problems arise where a lower speed limit applies to the Large Camper, in those circumstances it is always incorrect.

I can confirm that a unit such as the Garmin 660 LMT-D correctly displays the speed limits applicable to a larger vehicle and provides appropriate audible warnings when those limits are exceeded. The TomTom GO Camper does not.
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 231 [Exalted Navigator]
    I was considering buying the Go Camper device but instead purchased the MAP OF EUROPE - CAMPER** to install on my Go 6200.

** It says on the TT webstore page:

This is a customized map designed for Camper and Caravan.:thinking:

And yet there is no option to input the Vehicle Type as either Camper or Caravan :grinning:

Very strange and I trust the Development team will correct this glaring software error very quickly.

I was advised by Customer Services to select Van as the Vehicle Type and I tried entering several different combinations of "Van" dimensions to pretend I was using either a Camper or Caravan, but found the device was still attempting to send me down very narrow single track roads.

Of course selecting a Van instead of a Caravan or Camper will mean that speed limits will be incorrect for the vehicle type! :disappointed_relieved:

I then tried inputting different Van dimensions and found that:

Changing the overall length up to the maximum of 18.75m - NO DIFFERENCE
    Changing the width up to the maximum of 2.6m - NO DIFFERENCE

But changing the height it did route me away from Low height bridges.

There appears to be a serious flaw in the software logic applied to the routes calculated by the device when selecting a Van as the Vehicle Type.

I would be very interested to know why changing the length and "Width" of the Van has "no" effect on the route selected and the device still plots routes through these narrow width single track roads.

Being sent down very Narrow Roads that are just about the width of the vehicle with no room to pass another vehicle coming the opposite way without one vehicle having to reverse several hundred yards or more is very frustrating. Recently I had to reverse my car a hundred yards or more as an oncoming vehicle was blocking my ingress – this would have been difficult if not impossible to do the same with a Caravan in tow. The Go 6200 was set to a Van Vehicle Type.

I would like to know what size road measurements TomTom has on its Database and the criteria that are needed to avoid routing through these narrow width roads.

Customer Services have acknowledged that other users have reported the same issue Based on this they have created a ticket to be investigated and forwarded it to the developers. I was also advised that the developers are actively looking into this issue impacting some customers, but regret that at this time they have not determined the underlying cause and cannot therefore give any reference point on when they will have the issue fixed.

I hope that corrections for Vehicle Type / Speed limits / correct routing away from single track roads will be made before my subscription to the Map of Europe - CAMPER expires…………………. :kissing_smiling_eyes:
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    I have asked TomTom why they can't simple give us an option to avoid unclassified roads. I am still awaiting a response to this question. Will I ever get one? Doubtful.