Location Search functionality on Start 52 -Postcode Only?? - Page 5 — TomTom Community

Location Search functionality on Start 52 -Postcode Only??

1235»

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,087 Superusers
    Hi
    @Yikkity
    But the Driving test doesn't, So they won't

ATB YFM
  • millerartmillerart Posts: 22 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I raised this issue A YEAR AGO and still no update to fix it. Absolutely ridiculous. I won't be buying TomTom again.
  • gunny50gunny50 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    just bought mine last week, absolutely useless to me - Already had issues not finding postcodes as it is a farm etc. I bought this to attend breakdowns , I have lost business as the tom tom cant find the address as no street names just post codes

GUTTED
    Hi
    @gunny50
    Did you purchase the device at Halfords, Currys they have a 30 day exchange policy
    Get yourself a Via or a GO

ATB YFM
    I find it ridiculous that this is still being offered for sale despite major issues with its performance. GET IT FIXED TOMTOM!
  • Wray1Wray1 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Is anyone aware of a software update to enable the Start 52 to accept postcodes only? As it is, it is useless to me in my rural area, something I discovered too late to return it and get a different model.
    Also, can anyone tell me how to enter mapcodes? The method suggested by TomTom on their help pages doesn't work. When I press 'search', it doesn't come up with a keyboard and I have to go into the 'enter town or postcode' routine and entering a mapcode comes up with ridiculous and totally inaccurate suggestions.
    I feel very disappointed and let down by TomTom after many years of using my XL, only changed because map updates were stopped.
    Wray1 wrote:
    Is anyone aware of a software update to enable the Start 52 to accept postcodes only? As it is, it is useless to me in my rural area, something I discovered too late to return it and get a different model.
    Also, can anyone tell me how to enter mapcodes? The method suggested by TomTom on their help pages doesn't work. When I press 'search', it doesn't come up with a keyboard and I have to go into the 'enter town or postcode' routine and entering a mapcode comes up with ridiculous and totally inaccurate suggestions.
    I feel very disappointed and let down by TomTom after many years of using my XL, only changed because map updates were stopped.
    I started this thread a year ago and was assured there would be an update. The last time I contacted TomTom, a couple of months ago, I got the answer 'Oh, didn't the last update solve it? Very sorry, we're still working on it' or words to that effect. Yes, I tried the mapcodes. It's completely USELESS. The fact that they're still selling this model with such a serious fault is beyond belief. They're just not interested.
    Thank you millerart. I've been reading the whole thread with great interest and a sinking feeling this morning. It would seem that I've thrown away my money and bought something that is utterly useless to me. I spent the whole weekend in the Lake District having to find places on Google Earth from their postcodes and then attempt to put a marker down on the TomTom map, save it and name it. For Start 52 users the often seen "for satnav use postcode etc etc" is meaningless.
    As an experiment last night, on my mobile phone's Google Maps I typed in a Co-Op store in my old village in the Midlands. It 'knew' the store, immediately found it and within 30 seconds from start to finish I had a route planned. If only Google Maps would market a stand-alone satnav with all of the good features of TomTom, and I don't think I'm alone in this thought.
    Thank you for your much appreciated efforts on our behalf.
    Hi
    Edit... Sorry I missed your first post

@Wray1
    As Above
    Did you purchase the device at Halfords, Currys they have a 30 day exchange policy
    Get yourself a Via or a GO

ATB YFM
    Thank you, but I bought it from Amazon quite a while ago.
  • GuyAGuyA Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    It is quite clear that this product is "Not fit for the purpose". You are entitled to send it back to the retailer for a full refund - no ifs, no buts, no alternative products. That is the LAW.
    The manufacturer's and retailers warranties and terms and conditions are completely irrelevant!
    Don't forget to write a bad review - explaining WHY you are giving the product only 1 star (it would be NO stars if that were possible!)
  • Spf6275Spf6275 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Just read through this thread with dismay... I thought I was doing something wrong trying to get the start 52 to search a postcode, a simple task which my previous cheap Asda £29.99 sat nav did effortlessly!..
    Now I've read this and realise I've wasted my money on this Tom Tom start 52.. well done Tom Tom, my one and only time purchasing your products.. never again..
  • Alex0404Alex0404 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Yeah, I should had read your reviews before I bought the Start 52. Same issue here, very annoying. The funny thing is, even free android apps can navigate you without address, so excuse my language, but WTF??? It costed me 80 pound...
  • LuinLuin Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    edited October 10
    What a pain! I have to search for postcode and get Latitude and Longitude from Google Maps then enter it into the Start 52. I won't buy a TomTom again if they can't be bothered to sort this out with a simple update. https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Latitude-and-Longitude-from-Google-Maps