How to, if possible, manage free space in GO60 — TomTom Community

How to, if possible, manage free space in GO60

XosemaXosema Posts: 31 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 11 in MyDrive Connect
I have this GO60 which has worked fine most of the time. I only remember a problem with an update a while ago (it was not only my case and it finally got solved in more or less a reasonable time). The other time I found some trouble with an update was the time the internal memory was not enough to store the maps. I should say I have the Europe maps "forever and ever" as it is the one it came with.

So I went and bought an 8GB SD card, I thought it would be plenty of space together with the 6-7 GB the GO60 has built in. All this time it has worked well with every update (except that one mentioned above) until today. And surely some of you already know where I'm going.

I noticed from the first time I used the SD card that MyDrive said it was quite full (not completely full, but it didn't have quite a lot of free space, I'd say under 10%) after that. Meanwhile, the built in memory was hardly used, just a few dozen MB, and the rest was free space. I just didn't care too much about it as long as it worked. It seemed funny to me, as kind of a tech guy, since built in memory should be faster than external memory, but I thought that maybe it was not an issue here. Since the device kind of knows "where it's going", it has plenty of time to preload whatever it needs ahead of time.

But today I went and try to update to the most recent version of the Europe map and, guess what, I can't. It turns out I have 88 free MB in the SD card and most of the built in memory is, again, also free, but I can't update the map unless I choose less 3D buildings or delete something or get a bigger SD card.

And this is where my question comes. Isn't there any other option by which I could manage what goes where so part of the map goes to the built in memory and part goes to the SD card? I'm guessing a "no" as an answer, but I'd hope there's a "yes".

Because, all in all, it should be authomatic and the update should manage itself in order to be stored wherever as long as there's enough free space between both internal and external memory.
  • I could choose to have less 3D buildings, yes, it's quite unlikely I need 3D buildings from any country other than my own (and even so, I don't think I need it at all, but it's nice to have) but that is only delaying the inevitable as, sooner or later, as maps keep growing, I would be again at this same point. So there's no sense in that.
  • I can delete voices... but it's a nonsense as well, since they're located in the built in memory, so that changes nothing. And also, in case it changed anything, I would be in the same case as before. And also, in both cases, those are things that have been paid for, so I kind of have the right to have them.
  • I can buy a bigger SD card (in fact I bought one today, oddly as it seems, but I was hoping to use it in my camera) but I'm buying AGAIN free space that I still have in the built in memory, which it seems I'm not going to use at all if I can't manage it. I already have more maps than I will need and even if I update the radar map and add some voices (if I ever wanted to) there's still plenty of free space there.
So, again, I'm asking if there's a way I can manage a certain part of the maps is stored internally and another part externally. There should be a way. At least I think it's a legitimate suggestion for the next update of MyDrive Connect and the engine that runs the maps in the navigators, don't you think?

I kind of feel cheated this way, so to speak.

Also, if I remove the current SD card and add a new and bigger one, does it mess with MyDrive saying "you're updated" when it's actually not since the new one is empty?

Thank you.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,188 Superusers
    You can't split a map between internal and external.

I'd get a 16 gb SanDisk brand sd card and install it.

Since MyDriveConnect determines if enough space is not there on internal, it sends the map to the storage card. So, I'd clear the downloads folder in settings and try for the Europe with Buildings again.
  • XosemaXosema Posts: 31 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thank you for answering, but that is really disappointing. Not that I didn't expect it before, but it's utterly disappointing.

What good is having over 6GB internal memory if, once your map goes beyond that, you just can't use it? it's... it's useless! literally! And annoying, very annoying.

It shouldn't be that hard to implement having a map splitted in both memories. Come on.

I precisely bought a 16GB SanDisk sd card today but, as I said before, I intended to use it with my camera, not with my navigator. Also, I didn't download anything yet, I preferred to come here and ask the community before doing anything, so there's no need to clear the downloads folder, but thank you for telling me.

Oh, it's so, so annoying!
  • LuisdelaLuisdela Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I've just run out of internal memory in my Go600 and I tried to download a lighter map, with 3d buildings just in Italy and Spain. It won't let me anyway, the Continue button in the map section won't go. It's annoying that I must be forced to buy an external card in order to keep maps up to date.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,188 Superusers
    Maps grow in size over time. A 16 gb SanDisk microsdhc card is a good choice.
    dhn wrote:
    Maps grow in size over time. A 16 gb SanDisk microsdhc card is a good choice.

Yes, but that makes the memory in the navigator itself completely pointless, mostly useless. It makes no sense at all having 6+GB if you just can't use it.

Unless my way of thinking is mistaken, which could be but I don't see how, most users will have the map for their country or, as it is in my case, the one that came with the device, i.e. Europe. Why would I ever want to buy another map? I simply don't know.

Most of the things you can add to the device occupy really not that much. You have to be a real heavy user to fill those over 6GB of space with voices, personal routes and places and all the personalization you can do on your own. Even buying and updating speed cameras won't fill it up.

So, not only that, using a external memory is ALWAYS slower than using the internal one, therefore it's quite surprising once the internal memory is not big enough, having to use a external one.

There should be a way for users to choose what to save internally and what externally. That's the ideal way to solve it. Or else, the installation process should decide what modules of the map can be allocated in the internal memory and which ones in the SD card.

Seriously, that can't be that hard.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,236 Superusers
    Hi
    @Luisdela

(1)... As long as there is enough free space on the device
    The device will install the Map to the on-board memory

(2)... You can't split a Map across the on-board and the Micro SD memory

(3)... Subject to the first bulletpoint.... You can manage where to install the map....

9c344780-5c8d-4cb0-b72a-2389d2b666e6.png
    ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @Luisdela

(1)... As long as there is enough free space on the device
    The device will install the Map to the on-board memory

(2)... You can't split a Map across the on-board and the Micro SD memory

(3)... Subject to the first bulletpoint.... You can....

[]

ATB YFM

That's precisely the point, not being able to split the map across both memories.

Unrelated to this, I took the 8GB sd card out and installed a 16GB one. I had some trouble reinstalling the map again. It kind of needed a second try. I had previously updated to the "only local buildings but the whole of the European map" and I had to try a few times before I could go and install the whole map with all buildings. Maybe it's something similar what's happening to Luisdela.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,580 Superuser
    @Xosema

There is an alternative, the use of zones, as an example how I set up my old Start 200b3eb3ea-7a1a-4355-bec3-6aeb47d9074c.jpg
    to determine which zone to use see https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17115/locale/en_GB

First put the full map on the external card, then remove the card, then as the internal memory is too small to hold the full map you should be offered to select the appropriate zone. After the zone is loaded then add the external memory card.
    After that use the zone map for local journeys, but for very long journeys (out of the zone) use the map on the external memory card
    Check this FAQ https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17135
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,236 Superusers
    Hi

Branded Class 10 16GB Micro SDHC memory cards under £5.00 UKP are available almost everywhere, if you care to search around discounted 32GB Cards are available for only a little more... For the cost of a couple of Cappuccinos Coffees its not worth the time or the hassle of juggling the maps around

ATB YFM
    @Niall I thank you for your effort but I think that doesn't work for me.

First of all, what you show is not what I have in MyDriveConnect, it just doesn't exactly allow me to choose zones that way, but to choose which zones I will have "with full 3D buildings" and which not. But anyway, even if it did allowed me to do it that way...

...then second, you're actually having the map twice, which I don't know if the navigator allows that or, if it's the case (mine is a GO60) how to choose between maps that are actually the same, in different "full-iness" if you will.

And that still makes the user buy another SD card for that. Remember, the original problem is that the map is, say, 8.1 (it's actually less, but due to several O.S. things, it's as if it were over 8 GB, too much for an 8 GB card which is actually less than 8GB... but that's another story, let's keep on with the example). Say you have 6.5GB of internal storage and 8GB in the SDcard. If you have a map over 8GB, then it's clear you just can't store it in one of those places alone. So, to do what you suggets, I shoud buy another bigger SD card. But what I wanted to do in the first place is telling the navigator "hey, part of the map is stored internally and the rest goes to the SD card, so there's no need for a new and bigger SD card and there's no wasted space in the navigator itself.

Again, thank you but that is not what I'm looking for if I understood you right.

@YamFazMan it's not about the price of a new SD card. In fact, the very same day I knew about it, I had bought a 16GB SD card for my camera (now, obviously, in the navigator). By the way, I don't live in the UK and I think SD cards are a bit more expensive here but, anyway, the point is having to buy it and knowing that you now have a spare SD card which you may have a use for... or maybe not. As I said, I had bought a 16GB but it was for my DSLR. Now I have an 8GB SD card for my DSLR as that 16GB one has gone to the navigator, even when, between both the navigator and the SD card there are more than 13 free GB.
  • LuisdelaLuisdela Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    It seems that my problem was related to a) using a VPN while updating the navigator, b) having an antivirus running, or c) disallowing emerging windows in Safari. I read the troubleshooting instructions and acted accordingly. The problem with MyDrive Connect is over now. Thanks for the help!!!