Not enough space though there is plenty- GO mobile iOS — TomTom Community

Not enough space though there is plenty- GO mobile iOS

davidpost1970davidpost1970 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
I like to install a new map on my iPhone and the GO app answers consistently there isn't enough space on my iPhone. But I have 17,06 GB space available and the map ask for only 6,98 GB. I already deleted the app and reinstalled it. But no effect. Any suggestions?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,167 Superusers
    Seek support advise for that:

:flag_nl: Nederland (Holland)
    020 850 1007
    Maandag t/m vrijdag van 9.00 tot 17:30
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator
    Hi davidpost1970

Welcome to the community :)

I would suggest that you try few troubleshooting steps below:

# In the iPhone settings, go to ‘iCloud’
    # Go to ‘iCloud Drive’
    # Scroll to find the specific app and toggle the app to ‘Off’
    # Now, uninstall the app by ‘Tap and hold’ the app icon till it starts shaking and click the ‘x’ in the top right corner of the icon
    # Once done please reinstall and test.

Regards
    Vikram :)
  • davidpost1970davidpost1970 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Vikram, Thanks al lot for your reply. Unfortunately your solution doesn't work. I tried it several times, even with a reboot of the whole iPhone. But it still doesn't work. B.t.w. I tried to download Western Europe. But because of so called space shortage it won't. But downloading all the involved country's one by one is no problem. But it's of course quite troublesome if I have to change maps during travel. Kind regards, David
  • GuviGuvi Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi David,

Did you manage to fix/solve this? I have the same issue: I had the whole European map installed, but didn't have room for the update alongside. So I deleted it to create more room and planned to redownload. I now have plenty of room (5gb surplus), but TomTom Go still complains about not having enough free storage.

Gus
  • davidpost1970davidpost1970 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Gus,

Nope, still same problem. Had during a long ride to switch maps. Very annoying.

David
  • pianoman2100pianoman2100 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Having same issue - so if anyone figures anything it would be good to know.

Matt
  • GuviGuvi Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just a quick update...

I got sort of the same response as Vikram sent from Dutch Support, and it doesn't work.

[Literal translation]
    • Go to Settings and select 'iCloud'
    • Select 'iCloud Drive'
    • Scroll down to GO Mobile and tap 'Off'
    • Delete the application by pressing the icon until it jiggles and tapping the cross in the top corner.
    • Connect the iPhone to your computer and open iTunes.
    • Install the application via iTunes and download the map while the phone is still connected to the computer to see whether the issue has been solved.

Installing when connected to a computer will download the map without relying on the phone cache, so less room is needed on the device itself. The amount of free space indicated when installing the map sadly doesn't mention the amount of cache required.
    [/Literal translation]

There's a couple of issues with this:

The iCloud settings are no longer located at the indicated location. You now have to click your user name at the top of the Settings app.

But more importantly, it's n longer possible to load apps via iTunes. I managed to load the app via Apple Configurator 2, but downloading the map that way doesn't work either. So we're back to square one.

I reported back to support, and hope to receive a more helpful message soon!

I'll keep you posted.
  • pianoman2100pianoman2100 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Guvi,

many thanks.

M
  • Xela55Xela55 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same issue. Plenty of space but:

Can download:
    • Duitsland, Oostenrijk en Zwitserland 1,09 GB
    • Europa Noord 3 GB
    Cannot download:
    • Europa 8,11 GB
    • Europa Midden 4,17 GB
    • Europa West 5,95 GB
    Are there any developments concerning this issue?
  • sergey.zelyukinsergey.zelyukin Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same issue. I have iphone 6s with 11 GB of FREE space and I cannot install Europe (Center ans East), which has 3.19 GB size and 6.39 GB required for installation. Even if I summarize 3.19 and 6.39 I will have enough space, but... What's the heck?
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 4,967 Community Manager
    iOS requires at least twice the space of the map so that it can unpack the downloaded file.
  • sergey.zelyukinsergey.zelyukin Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Ok, if you know it, I believe it would be better to say it in the app, and not make your users going crazy with this issue.
  • fjacobsfjacobs Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here, no reply from TomTom yet. This is so annoying. They seem to manage to bill another year subscription, but can't build a proper functioning app.
  • fjacobsfjacobs Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    iOS requires at least twice the space of the map so that it can unpack the downloaded file

Well, I had twice the space easily and it still doesn't install. This is just bad software engineering...
  • DeddiekoelDeddiekoel Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had the same issue. With almost 20 Gb of storage available I removed one of my games (with GO app still open) maybe this pushed me over a certain limit but when I went back to the GO app I could download Europe West.
    Maybe the change in storage striggered something that gave the GO app the right storage available...