Obsolete with 2GB Internal memory but also have TT 8GB micro SD card added memory? — TomTom Community

Obsolete with 2GB Internal memory but also have TT 8GB micro SD card added memory?

HELP!
I have TT GO 740, now 9 years old. I have paid for many Maps of Europe and Live Services until December 2018 and have not received any warning about the GO 740 becoming obsolete. I also have map of Thailand. Maps are on 8GB micro SD card added memory purchased from TT in 2017. I was able to update 1 map today for Europe but wanted to purchase a new one for this years holiday in USA & Canada and found out about my GO being obsolete. After update today memory is:
There is 1827.9MB free of 1956.2MB available in Internal memory (93.4% available).
There is 4027.3MB free of 7659MB available in Card memory (52.5% available).
I obviously had enough space for map of whole of new Europe map update but TT don't seem to have recognised the space of Card memory that has even been purchased from TT last year when they designated my GO as obsolete.
I do not know size of USA & Canada map?
Would it fit on remaining 4027.3 MB of Card memory?
If so and I purchased the USA & Canada map could I download it to my PC then upload it with TT Home to the micro SD card and use it on my GO 740?
Why obsolete when only 52.5% utilised?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,333
    Superusers
    If you have subscriptions till Dec 2018, then, according to Tomtom, they should still be honoured.

A USA_Canada map is not likely to fit in 4 megs of space. And I don't think a new map (not Europe) would be considered as part of the ongoing map subscription anyway.

But you can verify all this with support BUT do NOT provide a model when prompted in order for a live agent to respond:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    When TT announced EOL for those devices with max 2GB internal memory due to the continually increasing map sizes, (which was their "logic") they TOTALLY disregarded or chose to ignore the FACT that many of these older devices were actually designed to accept larger or multiple maps by way of an SD or MicroSD card slot!

PS IF you could have bought the new USA_Canada map for that device (which you can't because they've deemed it EOL) it would have been the latest version USA_Canada 1010_8889 which is around 2280,6MB (which would also be offered in smaller/regional parts each at under 1GB)
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,734
    Superusers
    Hi
    @AllyT

Tomtom EOL (End of Life)

Tomtom have already stated that Lifetime Maps and any Existing Map Subscriptions will be honoured

See VikramK Post (TomTom Staff) Here....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-device-with-lifetime-maps-1032484/index1.html#post1207861

If you have Lifetime Maps or an existing Map Subscriptions Call Tomtom Support...

When calling....
    Tomtom are monitoring Eol support by an Auto Response System
    When prompted DO NOT provide your Tomtom model information, wait for a live agent to respond

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

ATB YFM