GO 620 Guidance View - 2D North UP option is missing — TomTom Community

GO 620 Guidance View - 2D North UP option is missing

DJP2018DJP2018 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
TomTom truly disappointed me with the 620 GO. It does not have the option of 2D NORTH ALWAYS UP in Guidance View. This basically means this 620 is a children's toy and not for the true navigator minded. I have no interest in pretty 3D eye candy, nor do I want my display rotating when I make turns.

Comments

• bigbig Posts: 1,641
    Superuser
    Well, it's sort of there. If you touch the compass icon on the left, above the "+ and -" zoom buttons, you'll get a 2D north-up view but it's more of a route overview. You'll have to zoom in to make it useful but it will zoom out whenever it "feels like" doing so.
  • DJP2018DJP2018 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    big wrote:
    Well, it's sort of there. If you touch the compass icon on the left, above the "+ and -" zoom buttons, you'll get a 2D north-up view but it's more of a route overview. You'll have to zoom in to make it useful but it will zoom out whenever it "feels like" doing so.

Thank you big. I did see this and already decided that will be the way I will attempt to use it. Perhaps turning off the "Automatic zoom" will prevent it from zooming out whenever it "feels like" doing so.

If I can prevent it from zooming out whenever it feels like it, then I can probably manage to do my own manual zooming on-the-fly to make it useful... but this is just one more distraction while driving.

It's a shame too because EVERY GPS device I've owed so far has the ability to keep NORTH UP if you wish, including my last TomTom... well to be more accurate, I should state my "previous" TomTom... this GO 620 will technically be my "last" TomTom unless they bring back the NORTH ALWAYS UP option. Thanks again.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,435
    Superusers
    Hi
    @DJP2018

When I'm using the 2D North-up overview Map for driving, I find the 'Zoom into road' type is the best zoom setting option
    Tap the Direction of Travel Icon and tap the + button a few times

My Normal Setting....
    2D Rotate in direction of travel
    (Edit) Zoom... Based on road type

I planned and calculated a route
    Tapped the direction of travel chevron to select the North-up overview map
    tapped the + sign 4 times

Set off on the route....
    The cursor that represent the current location does not remain centred like in 2D or 3D
    it's sits inboard from the edge of the screen about 20/25 percent and moves around the sides of screen depending on the direction travel, but it always stays on the screen (I think this is to show as much as the route as possible)

The route was about 5 Miles, the zoom level remained normal as for (Edit) zoom Based on road type' throughout the journey

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @DJP2018

When I'm using the 2D North-up overview Map for driving, I find the 'Zoom into road' type is the best zoom setting option
    Tap the Direction of Travel Icon and tap the + button a few times

My Normal Setting....
    2D Rotate in direction of travel
    Zoom into road type

I planned and calculated a route
    Tapped the direction of travel chevron to select the North-up overview map
    tapped the + sign 4 times

Set off on the route....
    The cursor that represent the current location does not remain centred like in 2D or 3D
    it's sits inboard from the edge of the screen about 20/25 percent and moves around the sides of screen depending on the direction travel, but it always stays on the screen (I think this is to show as much as the route as possible)

The route was about 5 Miles, the zoom level remained normal as for 'Zoom into road type' throughout the journey

ATB YFM

Hello ATB,

Thank you for the reply, it was nicely explained and I will experiment. I can live with the current-location-icon not staying centered... the important thing is that the current-location-icon stays on the screen as I drive my journey. I was worried about having to continuously pan the view along the journey as I drove.

Perhaps you are exactly correct when you say you think it's trying to show as much of the route as possible. That would be fine by me.

Two questions:

Question #1. In my Go 620 under "Automatic Zoom" options, I have three options: "Zoom in to next turn", "Based on road type", and "None". I did not see "Zoom into road type" as you mentioned. I am guessing I need to select "Based on road type".

Question #2. Did you have "Automatic map view switching" ON or OFF?

Thanks Again.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @DJP2018

I normally drive with "Automatic map view switching" OFF

If "Automatic map view switching" was ON you would tap the direction of travel chevron after the map had switched, in order to switch it back to North-up overview map

Yes the zoom I used was "Based on road type"

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    Hi
    @DJP2018

Auto Map switching...
    When you turn on the device the Start-up screen is the 2D North-up overview (Planning) Map
    If you have a Route/Track planned... When drive off and reach a certain (low) speed the map will automaticity switch to either 3D or 2D (Rotate In direction of travel) i.e... whichever you have chosen in the Settings menu

You can turn off the automatic switching to the North-up overview map in the setting menu (I use this to stop the Mapview switching to the zoomed out North-up Overview Map when you arrive at your Destination)

With "Automatic Map Switching" turned off when you arrive at your destination the device will continue using your chosen navigation screen to show your present location...

Note you may need to tap the Plus Icon button a couple of times to zoom in for the map detail

7ad50765-0a78-4fb7-89e6-294bf8be4a26.png
    Turn off Mapview switching
    From the main screen
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to the Cogwheel Icon
    Tap Cogwheel Icon
    Tap Appearance
    Turn off Automatic Map view switching
    Tap Blue arrowhead Icon ( > ) top right on screen to exit

But unfortunately, this has an effect to both ends of the journey.....
    If you have turned off Automatic Map view switching
    Now whenever you have planned a route, you will have to tap the "Lets Go" banner or the "Direction of travel Icon" the arrowhead above the plus and minus buttons
    To switch to your chosen navigating screen
    The Map does not switch at either the start or the end of your journey

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @DJP2018

I normally drive with "Automatic map view switching" OFF

If "Automatic map view switching" was ON you would tap the direction of travel chevron after the map had switched, in order to switch it back to North-up overview map

Yes the zoom I used was "Based on road type"

ATB YFM

Hello YamFazMan,

Thank you very much. I will give this a whirl and probably be alright with my GO 620.
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @DJP2018

Auto Map switching...
    When you turn on the device the Start-up screen is the 2D North-up overview (Planning) Map
    If you have a Route/Track planned... When drive off and reach a certain (low) speed the map will automaticity switch to either 3D or 2D (Rotate In direction of travel) i.e... whichever you have chosen in the Settings menu

You can turn off the automatic switching to the North-up overview map in the setting menu (I use this to stop the Mapview switching to the zoomed out North-up Overview Map when you arrive at your Destination)

With "Automatic Map Switching" turned off when you arrive at your destination the device will continue using your chosen navigation screen to show your present location...

Note you may need to tap the Plus Icon button a couple of times to zoom in for the map detail

7ad50765-0a78-4fb7-89e6-294bf8be4a26.png
    Turn off Mapview switching
    From the main screen
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to the Cogwheel Icon
    Tap Cogwheel Icon
    Tap Appearance
    Turn off Automatic Map view switching
    Tap Blue arrowhead Icon ( > ) top right on screen to exit

But unfortunately, this has an effect to both ends of the journey.....
    If you have turned off Automatic Map view switching
    Now whenever you have planned a route, you will have to tap the "Lets Go" banner or the "Direction of travel Icon" the arrowhead above the plus and minus buttons
    To switch to your chosen navigating screenThe Map does not switch at either the start or the end of your journey

ATB YFM

Hello YamFazMan,

Thank you so much again. Even if the GO 620 is a little different than what I am used to, I think your pointers will pretty much make it work to my satisfaction.

I'm more happy that I could vent my small frustration a bit here in this forum and very grateful that anyone would take the time to go through the level of detail you (as well as "big") did to help me. That alone makes me feel better. Thank you very much again.
  • DeclasDeclas Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I’ve been in discussion with TomTom and 2D North Up is not an option.

We have 2D in direction of travel but not with screen north locked up. You can hack it with map view but this looses the automatic zoom in and out for junctions and speed. You manually have to do this which is a distraction. TomTom advised post this on the forums and get support and it is more likely to be added to there developments.

Hence responding to your posting and asking for views, support and reposting to other Forums including TomToms own.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0