Blank screen on Go 620

jiceman
jiceman Registered Users Posts: 21
Master Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I have owned a Go 620 for a few months. When I turn it on, the screen remains black even though I get sounds and voice. Is there a known problem and work-around or reset. Sometimes as it starts up, I can see a very faint TomTom logo.

Needless to say, it is useless in this mode.

Poor first impressions.

Comments

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,143
    Superuser
    @jiceman

Are you using a USB port in your vehicle?
    As the USB ports in your vehicle provides only 0.5Amps whereas your device should have 1.2Amps to run AND charge the battery. With a vehicle USB port the reduced power means that the device tries to save it's power requirements by dimming the screen, reducing power to the SIM thus dropping traffic info, and, as you have found out, it then powers off rather than going to sleep.
    Try plugging the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger, does it then keep shutting down?

Also do a soft reset, you will loose nothing, it is like rebooting your computer and reloads all the new files from an update.

A soft reset :- with your device charged for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply; press and hold your on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound (or the TomTom hands symbol appears) then release the on/off button. Make sure you are outside and have a clear view of the sky (satellites)
  • jiceman
    Master Explorer
    This is with the device plugged in to the car cigarette lighter, or into a usb port on my computer or a house wall socket. I did the soft reset (didn't wait 2 hours) and heard the drum role. But, screen is still black.

I don't know the point of the power saving mode. If I can't see the screen, what use is it that the device is still on? And, if I have to wait 2 hours until I can do a reset and use the device after it has drained (maybe left for a week in my glove box), that's also not useful.

My older Tom Tom devices where ready to go as soon as I plugged it into my car charger/lighter. Even if fully drained.

And I also charged it for 6 hours and then did a soft reset. Still a blank screen (after the drum roll sound). I can hear updates when it talks to me, but can't figure out how to turn on the display.

Is there nothing else to try?
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,143
    Superuser
    @jiceman

Is the device less than two years old? If so contact Customer Services to arrange a replacement.

:flag_us: United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST
  • jiceman
    Master Explorer
    It is two months old. I guess I need to call on a week day. Thanks.
  • jiceman
    Master Explorer
    I submitted a question to Tom tom customer service (phone number is only open during business hours) over the weekend. How many days do I typically have to wait for Tom Tom to respond?

(I see what are not talking Amazon level customer service here.)

I suspect that they will arrange for me to send the device back, or else tell me another way to fix it. I'll report back if they respond to me.
  • big
    big Posts: 1,719
    Superuser
    Usually it takes a few days for customer service to respond via email. Much of the US customer service isn't US-based but I don't know if they observe the July 4th holiday anyhow. In that case it may be a few more days still.