Planning a Pleasure Ride on TomTom Rider 400 — TomTom Community

Planning a Pleasure Ride on TomTom Rider 400

bucks108bucks108 Posts: 3
edited January 22 in RIDER
I've been struggling to get to grips with my TomTom Rider 400 for a while now. It's great if I just want to get from A to B in the quickest time but I want to use it to plan pleasure rides off the beaten track. The most logical way seems to do it on a PC using MyDrive. I had a go last night putting stops at various junctions so the route would take me on the roads I wanted it to but after plotting the route I couldn't work out how to end or save the route. I'd like to be able to save the route I've plotted and then download it to the device and follow that route on my ride.

Another annoying thing is each time I insert a stop the map recalibrates and zooms out so I have to zoom back in to the point where I left off so I can move further along the route and insert another stop. In an ideal world I'd like to be able to choose a starting point, put as many stops as I like and at the end of the route make my last stop the final destination and then for the map to calculate the route at the end. Am I missing something?

Lastly, you must ride over the exact square inch where the stop flag is placed before you can ride through a town. Unless you hit this exact spot the devise will keep trying to re-route you back to that spot. Is there a way where if you're riding through a town where you've put a stop marker but you don't hit the exact spot you can simply click 'done' or 'ignore' so you can continue your route without being continually redirected back to the point you've missed?

I'm sure it's a very powerful devise but I've found it difficult to do relatively easy things with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Martin

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,236 Superusers
    Hi
    @bucks108
    bucks108 wrote:
    Lastly, you must ride over the exact square inch where the stop flag is placed before you can ride through a town. Unless you hit this exact spot the devise will keep trying to re-route you back to that spot. Is there a way where if you're riding through a town where you've put a stop marker but you don't hit the exact spot you can simply click 'done' or 'ignore' so you can continue your route without being continually redirected back to the point you've missed

That's the nature of a .ITN Route... The route is planned from Start --> Stop to Stop --> End, the device will doggedly follow the stops

The next time wander off the planned route and then when you wanted to resume...
    Try... Tap the Direction of Travel Icon (Above the + and - signs)
    cfd5cf93-527b-4ed6-b87a-d1d1f270ae3e.png
    The view will switch to the the North-up overview Planning Map

Pinch zoom the map... Tap on one of the Blue Stop Icons (The next one that you
    want to travel to) a quick menu opens, tap the 3Dot Menu Icon... Start
    Route from here

Also....
    If you are using a .ITN Route... tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current
    Route... There are several menu choices to edit the live route

If you are using a .GPX Track... tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current
    Track... There are less menu choices to edit the live route

ATB YFM
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 252 [Exalted Navigator]
    bucks108 wrote:
    Another annoying thing is each time I insert a stop the map recalibrates and zooms out so I have to zoom back in to the point where I left off so I can move further along the route and insert another stop. In an ideal world I'd like to be able to choose a starting point, put as many stops as I like and at the end of the route make my last stop the final destination and then for the map to calculate the route at the end. Am I missing something?

Lastly, you must ride over the exact square inch where the stop flag is placed before you can ride through a town. Unless you hit this exact spot the devise will keep trying to re-route you back to that spot. Is there a way where if you're riding through a town where you've put a stop marker but you don't hit the exact spot you can simply click 'done' or 'ignore' so you can continue your route without being continually redirected back to the point you've missed?

I'm sure it's a very powerful devise but I've found it difficult to do relatively easy things with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Martin

For route planning use MyRoute-App. You can do what you have asked in that. Way better than Mydrive. Registration is free to use Google Maps. Pay the subscription to use TomTom's map.
    Here's one I made earlier:

1f3f4147-19d8-46d9-80da-ded16d2c4c39.png
    It's a bit clunky transferring it to the Rider, but they do have a connector for Windows that makes it easier.

When the Rider routes you back because you "missed" (by about 50cm!!) a waypoint. Select the main menu (...), "Current Route", "Skip Next Stop". This option may be on the 2nd or third page of the Current Route Menu. It is something you will use A LOT, so move the menu item to the first page.
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 252 [Exalted Navigator]
    I would also recommend zooming right in to a waypoint to ensure it's not on a side road.
  • callefrcallefr Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    You could also try "TyretoTravel" software (just google it) on your PC. I don't claim that it is great software but it helps. It is in any case better than Mydrive.

All together, and after owing a TomTom GPS rider II and rider400 for many years now I conclude that progress [I mean useful enhancements on top of the basic GPS functions] over all these years is minimal, while some standard functions (such as speed limit indications) are getting more and more outdated despite always riding with the latest maps and updates in Europe.
  • ztech6ztech6 Posts: 55 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    MyRoute-App works quite well on a smart phone (Samsung) and you can save it as .itn file to the phone. Then blue tooth to the route to the device. I've done this a few times when I've decided to change my itinerary on the road, TT 420 + Samsung s7.
  • BoarderBoarder Posts: 107 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hi,
    use MyRoute-app or tyre as mentioned above. MyDrive is a pain.

When placing waypoints don’t put them on junctions. Place the a little way (a 100m or more ideally) down the road you are planning to turn into.

Zoom in in to check placement

If you need to delete a waypoint because you missed it select the bottom most one on the sidebar as you will then be shown a small pop up menu that allows you to delete it.

Steve