A few questions about my TomTom Via 1605 — TomTom Community

A few questions about my TomTom Via 1605

I just updated the new maps on my device, and since I turned it off, it won't come back on. It's been plugged in to my computer, and still nothing. Is it too old? Also, I have recently mounted it on a magnetic mount, would that have an effect on the device?
And if I was to replace it, would I lose my updates? and what would one recommend for a new device? I like to plan my routes on the computer, and would like to send it to the device, the Via 1605 doesn't allow that.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,167 Superusers
    Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

Are you using the cable that came with the device?
  • CloupinetteCloupinette Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Yes, I use the cable that came with the device, I tried the reset, but it just won't turn on :-(
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,563 Superuser
    @Cloupinette

Have you got a mains charger rated at 5V 2amps?
    Where you using a USB port on a laptop? As this has a tendency to be switched off by the operating system
  • CloupinetteCloupinette Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Yeah, I think it's fried. I had never had an issue whether it was plugged on my desktop or in the car. It gets really hot too after a few minutes plugged in. I am about to go on a long road trip to the US, so I don't want to take a chance with it not working, I rely on it too much.
    Thank you all for the suggestions :-)
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,563 Superuser
    @Cloupinette

If you feel up to it change the battery see https://www.newpower99.com/TomTom_Via_1605_Battery_Replacement_Kit_p/tomtom via 1605.htm
    Here is the video on how to do it
    [video]