VIA 1500 GPS Signal — TomTom Community

VIA 1500 GPS Signal

My GPS Signal is awful and my TomTom has become useless. Over more than a year now, every time I've done an update I lose my GPS signal, so I factory reset it and then it seems to work fine except that I don't have an updated map. So for the past 4 months now after getting my latest map update which always has a "quick gps fix" the GPS doesn't work or it works for a few moments and "looking for a valid gps signal" continues to appear on my screen. I've now brought it inside my house 5 times in the past 2 weeks as there is a new "quick gps fix" and each time it either doesn't work when I put it back in my car or it works for an extremely short time and then back to looking for a gps signal. Clearly it is TomTom that is having issues because why would it keep offering a "quick gps fix"? I end up using my phone for GPS navigation which is frustrating because I like to use my phone for music or audible book listening and makes it difficult if I'm trying to use it for GPS too. I thought TomTom was supposed to be a great brand for navigation systems? I've been looking to upgrade to get one with bluetooth so I guess Garmin will be getting my money for my next purchase if TomTom can't get there GPS under control.

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,563 Superuser
    @kjsac71

Remember after each up date to do a soft reset, you will loose nothing, it is like rebooting your computer and reloads all the new files from an update.

A soft reset :- with your device charged for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply; press and hold your on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound (or the TomTom hands symbol appears) then release the on/off button. Make sure you are outside and have a clear view of the sky (satellites)
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,087 Superusers
    Hi
    @kjsac71

Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ????

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky

[h3]The normal update schedule[/h3](1) ..... The Mapshare files are offered as required

(2) ..... The Quick GPS Fix files are offered daily... So whichever day you download the file the information is good for the next seven days

(3) ..... Speed Cam files are offered as required

(4) ..... Maps are quarterly

(5) ..... Applications are usually bi-monthly but can be any time (Usually announced on the Forum)

Note .....TomTom Live Units
    Get Speed Cams and Quick GPS Fix Over-The-Air as well

ATB YFM