Pathetic "Exclusive replacement offer" prevents adding POIs — TomTom Community

Pathetic "Exclusive replacement offer" prevents adding POIs

I wish to add camera locations as POI’s to my TomTom Home Version 3.
I click on Add traffic, Voices etc.
I then click on points of Interest.
I then can only get “Exclusive replacement offer”.
No matter what I do I can’t get past this pathetic offer.
I even agreed for them to send me details – but the offer wouldn’t go away”
Any Ideas?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,167 Superusers
    Jim, there is Home 2 for older models (many now considered End of Life) and MyDriveConnect (which Tomtom sometimes refers to as Home 3). Is that what you are referring to?
  • Jim BuntingJim Bunting Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Ooops.. Early Al something or other, I can't remember.
    I meant to refer to a TomTom I bought in France in a panic - I hate it compared to the others we have.
    It is actually a 'TomTom One 3rd Edition'. I have tried to add POIs with 'TomTom Home 2' program but can't get past the awful offer.
    I don't want to 'Update' my other TomToms which work well - it would be like buying anew phone or lending your current phone to a child - it comes back all 'improved' and unusable! Don't much care about this One, but it might be a useful backup in Europe.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,167 Superusers
    That model has been decreed End of Life by Tomtom. no more map updates.
    To be fair I have been able to update the map with no problem.

My problem is the 'Offer' blocking access to my POIs.

When I attempt to add my latest speed cameras, I can't because TomTom Home keeps making the 'Offer'

TomTom regards 'lifetime' very differently from me!

Do they really think I would buy something else with their 'lifetime' update offer!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,084 Superusers
    Hi
    @Jim Bunting

Maybe Follow this workaround for TomtomHome....

To 'trick' Home into getting a version of Home that still works as before

See the steps below:

(1).... Uninstall TomTom Home
    (2)... Download last "good" version
    Here...http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_9_91_411_win.exe

(3)... Install it without running ie, uncheck the 'Run Home' tick box when installation completes
    (4)... Using Windows Explorer, navigate to
    C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul (32 bit Windows)
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul (64 bit Windows)
    and find application.ini file
    (5)... Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.9.94.450"
    (6)... Run TomTom Home. It will believe to be running latest version 2.9.94.450 and therefore not pull the update.

ATB YFM
  • gav2uk_un28gav2uk_un28 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @YamFazMan @Jim Bunting I have a similar problem with my XL - Operate and other functions greyed out, and the persistent upgrade offer. In my opinion TomTom are acting unethically in 'forcing' Home to upgrade to a version with reduced functionality, as a marketing strategy to move users to newer devices. I am aware that memory is an issue for adding new data, but the new version of Home does not allow anything backed up to PC to be restored - that is unforgiveable. I followed the workaround kindly provided by YFM above, but still got the upgrade prompt - it seems the latest version is now 2.11.2.100, so will probably need to update the ini file every time there is a newer version - or more likely, since it is not supported anyway, TomTom just keep changing the file version number. Rant over, Home fully functional (for now).:triumph:
    Thanks for that YamFazMan – your simple work around worked and I was able to install my independent speed camera list. However when I came to set the POI warning distances I was back to the old problem and had to follow the work around again and again and again…..
    Still my TomTom One is only a back-up and the cameras are all now installed, so I am content and very grateful for the help.
    I do find, companies run by accountants trying to extract the last penny, never appreciate a ‘loyal customer base’ until they have lost it! I doubt that the actual map that we all need, takes up much more space than the old one – it’s all the useless ‘Bloatware’ that takes up the additional space.
    With luck we may soon find someone, giving two fingers to TomTom and offering to update our maps for a small reasonable charge or even for free! Come soon the day.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,084 Superusers
    Hi
    @gav2uk_un28
    @Jim Bunting

I'm not a TomtomHome user myself, its MyDriveConnect for my devices....
    But yes you are correct any further updates of TomtomHome will require the text in the .ini file to be edited to suit the latest version number...

ATB YFM