rider 450 with bluetooth tethering creates bad sound quality to headset — TomTom Community

rider 450 with bluetooth tethering creates bad sound quality to headset

KjschuilKjschuil Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
My devices:
-Rider 450
-iphone x, tethering on, WIFI off
-Midland BTx2 Pro Headset

With tethering on for TomTom Services the sound quality for navigation instructions is badly effected.
Turning the network connection off (to my iphone) on the rider gives back normal (good) quality navigation instructions.

So far 3 contact moments with TomTom Support and Waypoint Moordrecht Support Desk (thumbs up) has also asked TomTom to solve this.

Version Rider

Comments

• ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 256 [Exalted Navigator]
    This is a well known issue with the Rider 4xx series. It was reported to TomTom soon after the device was launched. Here we are several years later and we are still waiting for a fix!

The problem is still present in the Rider 5xx series, so I'm told.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 753
    Superuser
    Join the club...
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 256 [Exalted Navigator]
    For me, the hoarse voice is an intermittent problem with the data connections. So times it's fine. Other times awful. At its worst, most of the voice instruction is missing. Turn ..... in ....... yar.............
    Superuser
    After all this time I’m convinced that they can’t fix it...
  • KjschuilKjschuil Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    How have you guys solved it (with TomTom)?
    Superuser
    We haven’t... Some guys have returned the device and purchased something else...
    can't we get the TomTom Go app and use the sound of that route (you put the same route as in Rider 450) and then use Rider for visual effect and the app for passing the AD2P sound from app (good quality) to the headset.

A bit of a work around......
    Superuser
    No, there is no workaround about it, and we shouldn’t accept any workarounds. Only a solution.
  • JP_RAVENJP_RAVEN Posts: 15 [Master Traveler]
    I just bought a new TomTom Rider 550 and a Sena Headset. I'm devastated to find that it also suffers from the hoarse voice problem considering it's a brand new product (May 2018) and yet, looking at this and other threads on this forum, this issue has existed for years!

Just to be clear, if I turn my phone (iPhone 10) off or put it into airplane Mode) the problem goes away, but that's not a solution.

What's happening, TomTom? Can you fix this or should I return my device and buy a Garmin instead?
    Amazing! I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 from aliexpress and uses that in combination with Rider 450, and guess what? Crystal clear quality sound!!
    Superuser
    It seems that the BNEP / PAN connection to an Apple iOS device causes dropped packets on HFP (or A2DP) connections (by consuming all of the available bandwidth?).

A log file of Bluetooth on both smartphones may enlighten us... (or a Bluetooth sniffer output even better).

We shouldn’t complaining about it only to TomTom but to Apple too.
    There are also a lot of similar cases with car navigation systems...
  • LawnmoamanLawnmoaman Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I have been through this issue time and again for over a year. Not even close to fixed and sod all concern shown by TomTom Support.
    I will NEVER purchase any TomTom product again and will be advising all friends and acquaintances to do the same.
    I should have bought the Garmin Zumo that I was first looking at.
    Will never ever to buy TomTom 'anything' ever again
  • smudger64smudger64 Posts: 61 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Lawnmoaman wrote: »
    I have been through this issue time and again for over a year. Not even close to fixed and sod all concern shown by TomTom Support.
    I will NEVER purchase any TomTom product again and will be advising all friends and acquaintances to do the same.
    I should have bought the Garmin Zumo that I was first looking at.
    Will never ever to buy TomTom 'anything' ever again

Sadly garmin are far worse.