Open source — TomTom Community

Open source

psanpsan Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
Hi,

As a developer it would be great if the tomtom (spark) software would go open source with the ability to develop custom firmware. With the possibility to reset the watch to factory settings then this would not be harmfull for the watch?

I guess this is just a dream, but I had to put it out there as I'm missing some features that I would be glad to try to develop myself ;)

/Andreas

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,770 Superusers
    psan wrote:
    Hi,

As a developer it would be great if the tomtom (spark) software would go open source with the ability to develop custom firmware. With the possibility to reset the watch to factory settings then this would not be harmfull for the watch?

I guess this is just a dream, but I had to put it out there as I'm missing some features that I would be glad to try to develop myself ;)

/Andreas

Definitely a dream as it is a customer support nightmare. When someone's watch goes down there will be no way to know if it was a TT problem or something someone did themselves. And to just say you don't get support if you used custom firmware is not realistic. Plus add in that it would require them to provide the source code to allow users to edit it, which is proprietary information they don't want their competition to have and I can't see it ever happening.

TomTom has opened their API to other companies and has released a developer's toolkit, so developers can access the data from the watch and develop analytics around it, but they can't change the source code. SportTracks and others have already taken advantage of it and set up automatic updating. Here is a link to the developer platform: http://developer.tomtom.com/

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • GrimlerGrimler Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Now that TomTom will stop developing new watches and sooner or later stop releasing software updates, this question is worth revisting.

Does TomTom plan on keeping the source code closed forever or will it be released X years/months after development stops?

I've been looking into extending the "smart watch" functionality of my spark watch to make it possible to send custom notifications (not only sms/phone call notifications) to the watch from my desktop computer. Much of the bluetooth protocol has already been reverse engineered by others (see this github repository: https://github.com/dlenski/ttblue), and it seems promising.
    This doesn't involve changing the code on the watch though, only mimicking the ios/android app-watch communication.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,770 Superusers
    Grimler wrote:
    Now that TomTom will stop developing new watches and sooner or later stop releasing software updates, this question is worth revisting.

Does TomTom plan on keeping the source code closed forever or will it be released X years/months after development stops?

I've been looking into extending the "smart watch" functionality of my spark watch to make it possible to send custom notifications (not only sms/phone call notifications) to the watch from my desktop computer. Much of the bluetooth protocol has already been reverse engineered by others (see this github repository: https://github.com/dlenski/ttblue), and it seems promising.
    This doesn't involve changing the code on the watch though, only mimicking the ios/android app-watch communication.
    Unlikely, it is still proprietary code and has a value to them. In any case, TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.