TomTom software is a nightmare-slow and buggy software — TomTom Community

TomTom software is a nightmare-slow and buggy software

I've owned a Tom Tom for many years now and I have wasted days of my life with its appalling slow and buggy software. Every time I update I'm hopeful it will be easier but it never is. I onec etried to download a map a day before driving to Italy. Big Mistake. After a whole day trying to make it work, look on forums etc I had to leave without it and buy paper maps.

It is really astonishing that a big comany like Tom Tom can stay in business and put their customers through this. This will be my last device - if I ever get it updated. Is it just me?

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,006 Superusers
    There can be tons of reasons and most likely PC related. Here's a list of the usual suspects:

"Official" TT tips:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-800-1000-2000-series-via-series-start-20-and-60-series-mydrive-19/faq-mydrive-connect-troubleshooting-tips-990570

If these didn't help, then try some of these:

*Always make sure that you are logged in with the correct account. One device, one account*

*** for Windows 10 users ***

If you have just updated recently, you might run into trouble with TT (and other devices too). Disconnect the device, uninstall the MyDrive Connect support app with Revo Uninstaller, restart the PC, download the latest MyDrive Connect installer from http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted and install it again. Also in Windows 10, click on the "Start" menu (Windows icon in lower left corner), click on Settings and then Updates. Look for further updates, download and install those. Restart the PC, wait a minute or two, until everything starts up. Connect the device. If it is not recognised yet, keep it connected and then press and hold the ON button, until you hear the drum roll. Then wait another minute. If you have no luck yet, visit the web site of the manufacturer of the PC and look for newer (Windows 10 compatible) USB or chipset drivers for your computer and install it.

*** TT CS official reply that worked for many with W10 issue ***

Close MyDrive Connect completely:
    If your navigation device is connected to the computer, disconnect it.
    Click the MyDrive Connect icon ( or ) in the Windows notification area or Apple menu bar and then select > Quit
    Uninstall MyDrive:
    Click on the Start button and go to All Programs › TomTom › Uninstall TomTom MyDrive
    Alternatively you can use Add or Remove Programs in the Contol Panel to remove TomTom MyDrive Connect.
    Remove the application file:
    Press the Windows logo key +R to open the Windows Run dialog
    Type %localappdata%. Click OK.
    You will see list of folder. Find and open TomTom folder
    Delete HOME 3 folder.
    Delete the MyDrive Connect folder from: C:\Program Files (x86) (if still present)
    Delete the TomTom folder from: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\ (USERNAME - It is the user name which you use to login to Windows )
    Delete the TomTom folder from: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\
    Delete every file and folder from: C:\Windows\Temp\ (in case some files can't be removed, reboot the PC and retry)
    Restart your computer.

Re download a new installer from http://www.tomtom.com/mydrive (I recommend you to use the Google Chrome while downloading the installer)

Now install MyDrive Connect with the newly downloaded installer.

After the installation process of the new MyDrive application completes successfully, please restart your computer. Now, check if the application is able to connect to your device properly or not.

*** For further troubleshooting tips, please see below ***

PLEASE NOTE:

- It is very unlikely that one would have to do these all, it is usually one of the below mentioned possibilities

- As in IT Crowd: Have you tried to turn the computer off and on again? :)

- Try to add MyDrive Connect to the exclusion list of your antivirus and firewall (or disable those temporarily)
    - Make sure that your computer is not going into stand-by or similar (this shouldn't happen with the latest MyDrive Connect)
    - Clear the cache before each update attempt. Also could do a soft reset before and after the update
    (http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965/)
    - Make sure you have all the latest updates and hotfixes/patches to your OS (not only the mandatory ones, but the optionals too)
    - In case the device looks like hung during the update or the counter stopped (or not visible at all), just leave it.
    Most probably it will be fine in a few minutes (or within a couple of hours, in case of installing large maps)
    - Check your network connections, make sure that the TT's network adapter is enabled
    - Try to uninstall and re-install the MyDrive Connect application (best to use Revo Uninstaller to remove)
    - Try to use a USB port on the mainboard, rather than a USB hub (desktop PC)
    - Try to change the port to 5000 (or 5001) in MyDrive Connect's settings
    - Try to run the MyDrive Connect app as administrator
    - Sometimes disabling caching large files helps too
    - It is worth checking the USB power saver settings

- Any further issue: Try it on another PC, try it with different USB lead...the shorter the better (below steps are Windows specific)
    - Whilst the device connected, remove the drivers from the Device Manager (Windows/Control Panel), DELETE the drivers
    - Remove the MyDrive Connect application and run CCLEANER (will remove your history, cookies, etc by default)

- At the moment certain USB3 port looks like incompatible with the TT devices (those are usually coloured blue on the PC).
    Could try BIOS update on the PC or enable "Legacy mode" for the USB ports in the BIOS (for further instructions, look for the user manual of your PC/mainboard)
    - Don't use the magnetic mount whilst updating, connect the micro USB directly into the device
    - Disable any network monitoring software
    - Update one item at a time, don't select all.
    Best order: NavCore/software - Map - QuickGPSfix - Speed Cams - Map Share Corrections (this is the smallest but longest in some cases)

Certain Mac versions (10.10.2, 10.10.3 10.10.4 and 10.10.5) have USB issues, but there is an official fix available, provided by Apple.
    The latest version of MyDrive connect is not compatible with Windows XP SP2 and below, make sure that you update to SP3 and install ALL the other updates.
  • ArtireArtire Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Couldn't agree more. Their software updater is appallingly bad and despite numerous updates never seems to improve. It is slow and incredibly buggy. After waiting hours for a major map update I find I can then be left hanging for hours with a message saying 'less than a minute left'. The only way to unfreeze it seems to be to close down the program, disconnect your device and then try again. Sometimes it kicks it out of its frozen state and sometimes you have to rinse and repeat a few times before it will begin to move again. If they do not fix their software properly I can guarantee this will be the last TomTom device I will ever buy.
    Have you ever reported it to them to check? In most cases it is not much to do with the MyDrive Connect software, but with drivers or other conflicting software on the PC.
  • anotherfivehourswastedanotherfivehourswasted Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I dread updating as I know it will involve leaving the computer running for a couple of days as it fails and repairs and restarts. Its been the same since day one whenever there is a major map update.

I have tried around six different computers over this time, so I don't think it is specifically computer related.

One consistent problem I have learnt to fix is that that in order to get any large update to work I have to delete the old maps and languages off my device as any attempt to update them will fail. I've learn this over time however MyDrive hasn't and so I still have to go through the process of it trying to update once, failing and then letting me repair and remove the map. I always end up with a device that doesn't work and each time I do try to update I regret it.

Whenever I look on these boards there are dozens of people reporting the same issues I'm having. I have NEVER come across software so repeatedly awful and which, update to update, never gets any better or more reliable either.

The only thing I have learnt is not to update the device close to a long trip as having to stay up into the small hours the night before to watch another repair/update fail is a miserable experience.

Don't even get me started on how an update can take anything from 2-5 hours.
  • PurdypussPurdypuss Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just bought a couple of months ago and used a couple of times and its already led me astray so just tried updating maps to be told it would take SEVEN HOURS AND 10 MINUTES!!!!! Bloody ridiculous - back to my £20 android phone which is much better.

DO NOT GET A TOM TOM GO!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    Hi
    What Speed is your internet connection? Here 55Mbps
    The full Europe install nearly 7GB around 55 Minutes

ATB YFM
  • mrpj3mrpj3 Posts: 126 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Purdypuss wrote:
    Just bought a couple of months ago and used a couple of times and its already led me astray so just tried updating maps to be told it would take SEVEN HOURS AND 10 MINUTES!!!!! Bloody ridiculous - back to my £20 android phone which is much better.

DO NOT GET A TOM TOM GO!

Not the same length of time to install things but yes, in spite of a fast fibre connection, my Go6100 takes ages to install a new map, anything up to two hours. A simple map correction of a few kb takes 10 minutes and a speed camera update around 20 minutes. The downloads take seconds but the transfer to the device is painful to witness.
    The bottleneck has to be the device and the buggy MyDrive which cause everything to process slowly.
    And yes, they do lead you astray, if allowed to and into pre-existing traffic hold ups.:8

55 minutes, even that is unacceptable. I have another device, which takes about 20 minutes to download and install a full map of Europe. Different manufacturer and their own software.
    7GB, 55 minutes, how is that unacceptable? What is the size of the map of that other manufacturer?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    mrpj3 wrote:
    Not the same length of time to install things but yes, in spite of a fast fibre connection, my Go6100 takes ages to install a new map, anything up to two hours. A simple map correction of a few kb takes 10 minutes and a speed camera update around 20 minutes. The downloads take seconds but the transfer to the device is painful to witness.
    The bottleneck has to be the device and the buggy MyDrive which cause everything to process slowly.
    That's a pretty bland statement......
    A fast fibre connection ??? How Fast ???
    Yes, the previous NAV4 devices Download the Map, Decompress and Transfer the Map file to the device 7.18 GB in under an hour for a GO 5000 is very reasonable
    mrpj3 wrote:
    55 minutes, even that is unacceptable. I have another device, which takes about 20 minutes to download and install a full map of Europe. Different manufacturer and their own software.
    Another bland statement ??? What size is the Map ???

As a test, I have just deleted the Europe map from my GO 520
    The latest NAV5(Wifi) devices install updates on the fly
    My Fibre Broadband hardwired to router 55Mbps
    My Fibre Broadband over Wifi 30 Mbps
    Full Europe 7.18GB
    Device connected Hardwired and over USB with MyDriveConnect running in the background
    Full Europe Map installed, device ready to use 24 Mins 43 Seconds

ATB YFM
  • 4x4 Tim4x4 Tim Posts: 22 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Just grabbed the latest MyDrive Connect and installed it; started an update. Initially said 1:20. One Hour and Twenty. Then at 1% complete the timer stopped changing.

Looking at network traffic, I see TomTom using 600 BYTES per second.

Seems I am being punished for being a long time TomTom customer. I suspect had I purchased something this time around rather than simply updating my LIFETIME MAP I'd get better network service from their servers. But 600 BYTES is ludicrous.

Last TomTom I'll ever own.

One last thing: Go 500's come with lifetime maps and lifetime traffic. Guess what, they claim MY TT GO 500 doesn't qualify for some stupid reason. So I get pop ups on my maps saying TRAFFIC is Out Dated, please update Traffic Services As Soon As Possible. And clearing the pop-up while driving is nearly impossible. Their solution? Buy the Update because this is a SAFETY concern and they can't disable the pop-ups.
    The GO 500 does have free traffic. Did you contact TT CS to sort this out? Also seems like something blocks MyDrive to access the network. Maybe a 3rd party software, firewall or antivirus.
  • wakjakwakjak Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I cannot begin to calculate how much time I've wasted trying to get mydrive to respond, its basically unusable. Tom Tom need to get their act together selling products which are unfit for use.

Sort your selves out TOM TOM!
  • wakjakwakjak Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Wow, what a surprise, it only took 5 seconds for my message to be posted, its a shame the route planner does not respond at the same speed?
  • pickerkapickerka Posts: 4 [New Traveler]
    dmart000 wrote:
    I've owned a Tom Tom for many years now and I have wasted days of my life with its appalling slow and buggy software. Every time I update I'm hopeful it will be easier but it never is. I onec etried to download a map a day before driving to Italy. Big Mistake. After a whole day trying to make it work, look on forums etc I had to leave without it and buy paper maps.

It is really astonishing that a big comany like Tom Tom can stay in business and put their customers through this. This will be my last device - if I ever get it updated. Is it just me?
    Go for Garmin, tomtom is a toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pickerkapickerka Posts: 4 [New Traveler]
    My cell phone is 10 times more reliable....
  • PH27PH27 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    As I have said before if all else fails do a "Factory Reset" Make sure you have backed up your data on "My Drive" and your battery is charged and plugged in to the charger/electric. This will put TT back to the day you got, basically start again but this time if a bug got in it should now be gone. When I have had numerous problems
    in the past doing a Factory reset always works. Takes no longer than 1/2 hour. Good luck.
    If the problem is with "My Drive" software uninstall, "shut down" PC, reboot and download new version and reinstall. Log in. Hopefully this will cure your problems.
    I realise these problems are some months ago but others may get so hope the helps.
  • MrTDMrTD Posts: 49 [Master Explorer]
    I just love the do a factory reset replies.
    Why the bloody hell should a person who has paid £300 for a device have to keep doing a factory reset to get the thing working as it should work ?

Do we not pay to have a working device ?

" When I have had numerous problems
    in the past doing a Factory reset always works."

You should not be having numerous problems end of
    Might depend on the model, but haven't had to do a single factory reset for years, on any of my TT devices and they are not slow. Those are the GO models though.
  • GigondasGigondas Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The main problem I'm seeing is that download is not resumable. Whenever the TomTom processes, which I'm watching, lose their network connection (possibly because of a microfailure that other processes manifestly don't worry about), the downloader has to restart downloading its gigabytes right from the beginning. I've stopped using wifi download because of this brittleness; and I've lost hope of downloading the whole Europe map. But even then, Western Europe keeps downloading to 15% or so and then goes back to 0%, on a stable ethernet connection, without the PC ever going to sleep, since I'm working on it.

The least it should be able to do is read the download state before its glitch and resume *from* there instead of starting from scratch every single time.
  • Tobasco RedTobasco Red Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Very frustrating here too. New TT Go Basic - losing wifi connection, authentication failing to different routers, not updating via usb. After a all day trying, at least with four factory resets, this morning (day after) finally starting to updating and at 91% freeze!!
    Luckily after restart saying it's up to date!
    All this after dumping a start 20 with loose micro-usb port with was also very resistant to updates via my drive.
  • LC123LC123 Posts: 31 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    MrTD wrote:
    I just love the do a factory reset replies.
    Why the bloody hell should a person who has paid £300 for a device have to keep doing a factory reset to get the thing working as it should work ?

Do we not pay to have a working device ?

" When I have had numerous problems
    in the past doing a Factory reset always works."

You should not be having numerous problems end of

I agree. I work in IT and develop software and have done support in various capacities, and a factory reset is never a fix, it should never be the first thing to try or the default answer, along side a drum roll reset, which is nothing more than "Turning off" then back on again, that's all that is doing.

I dare say turning off and back on and indeed a factory reset may get things working again in some circumstances, but the underlying problem is still there and will just resurface, and because the advice is "factory reset" all the time, the actual cause of the problem is never investigated, never gets fixed and just keeps coming back.

Lets remember these devices were already factory reset when we got them out of the box, so how many do they need in their lifetime?

Fix the actual problems TomTom then a factory reset would not be required.
    In my opinion, factory reset shouldn't be the resolution of course. But usually a soft reset is recommended as a first step, which is (as you said), just a normal switch off, switch on. You have to keep in mind, when you remove the PND from the cradle or just press the ON button once, you put the device into sleep mode. If you choose to turn it off regularly, then most likely you won't face these issues (or not that often). Just keep in mind, when you run your PC for days (at least with Windows), without switching it off, sometimes that one becomes slow/buggy too. Now I don't say it is all cool, but sort of expected. Is there a way to optimize these? Sure. I suppose there could be some sort of piece of code written to flush the RAM (or whatever is getting "clogged up" somewhere) each time, when the device wakes up from sleep mode, or something similar (but I'm not a programmer).
  • LC123LC123 Posts: 31 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Zsolt wrote:
    In my opinion, factory reset shouldn't be the resolution of course. But usually a soft reset is recommended as a first step, which is (as you said), just a normal switch off, switch on. You have to keep in mind, when you remove the PND from the cradle or just press the ON button once, you put the device into sleep mode. If you choose to turn it off regularly, then most likely you won't face these issues (or not that often). Just keep in mind, when you run your PC for days (at least with Windows), without switching it off, sometimes that one becomes slow/buggy too. Now I don't say it is all cool, but sort of expected. Is there a way to optimize these? Sure. I suppose there could be some sort of piece of code written to flush the RAM (or whatever is getting "clogged up" somewhere) each time, when the device wakes up from sleep mode, or something similar (but I'm not a programmer).

Hi

I agree and know the device just sleeps by default, but I don't see why that should result in problems or the build up of problems because it doesn't get rebooted often. The reality is there are billions of much more complicated devices (i.e. smart phones) that are going into and out of sleep dozens if not hundreds of times a day, every day, and seldom ever do they get restarted and they work without issue.

Perversely, dig just a little into the About box on TomTom, and you will notice it is an Android device, yes TomTom's are essentially a smart phone locked down to run just the one app. Obviously this makes sense as it makes it easier to offer a Google Play app and integrate TomTom into car units running Android Auto, as well as have a SIM enabled version, but given TomToms are running Android which powers billions of devices that go into and out of sleep constantly means the drum roll reset excuse shouldn't wash with anyone. The problems are bugs in the app itself that need fixing.

TomTom specifies the hardware and software, there are very few variation of devices (unlike Android smartphones), all they have to do is get one app working reliably, the end user can't even install apps or change fundamental settings like they can on a smartphone so can't break anything, meaning a factory reset should never be required to attempt to "fix" something, as any changes to the device that might need resetting are completely due to and at the control of TomTom, so they are breaking their own devices.
    I don't know how is it going with your smartphones, but so far whatever I had (right now a few iPhone SEs, Samsung Galaxy S9s), always had to reboot after a couple of weeks, otherwise apps didn't receive updates, the phones slowed down and so on.

Again, not looking for an excuse, just stating how technology is.
  • jimhcatloverjimhcatlover Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Why is the map update so slow?
    TomTom device connected to Windows 10 PC all updates installed and rebooted.
    Wired connection to FTTP connection and tested at 148mb speed.
    My Drive Connect updated to latest version.

Map update takes hours. I used to blame my crappy ADSL connection but now I can see that it was TomTom's crap servers all along. I can tell you that I will probably never purchase another TT device.

Now sitting back and waiting for some idiot from TT to tell me that it's my fault