GO 520: Traffic alerts and real time updates or not?

TuckerdogncTuckerdognc Posts: 7 [Neophyte Traveler]
I'm very confused since there is so much information that is incorrect and/or correction the innerweb. Does the 520 have real time traffic updates and alerts if paired with a smart phone or not? I have see both yes and no, and on reputable sites ie Crutchfield, Amazon, and others.
Tagged:

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,189 Superusers
    The 520 in association with a smartphone gives Live traffic updates.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,813 Superusers
    HI
    @Tuckerdognc

The latest NAV5(Wi-fi) GO 520 connects to Live Traffic using a using Smart Phone and an APP

Tomtom.com USA... GO 520
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/car/products/go-520/

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Hi
    @Tuckerdognc

NAV5 (Wi-Fi) is simply the name of the latest Range of Tomtom models
    The first Range of Tomtom PNDs were NAV2 next NAV3 next NAV4 and the latest NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Range

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    I'm still confused about this. I'm thinking about buying a 520.

On the Go 520 page of theTomTom.com web site, I see information about traffic in two places. I don't understand the difference. One says it requires a cell phone connection. The other does not mention that. How do these two traffic functiosn work? Can I get traffic info if my cell phone does not have a data connection?

Below is the info from the web site that I was looking at.

Lifetime TomTom Traffic
    Insanely accurate traffic information enables your TomTom GO to intelligently plan routes around traffic. With real-time updates from millions of drivers, it's like having a huge network of friends helping you choose the best route to tak

TomTom Services via Smartphone
    Activate live services like traffic by connecting to your smartphone via the TomTom MyDrive app. Your TomTom GO uses your smartphone's data connection to provide you with real-time traffic, safety camera updates, and MyDrive content. On average, less than 10 MB of data per month is use
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 612 Superuser
    The second statement is just really expanding on the first - it all applies.

The TomTom itself doesn't connect directly to the mobile network for traffic updates. Instead, it makes use of your mobile phone's data connection.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,819 Superuser
    Hi @lggg

The GO5200 has the inbuilt sim which means that when you are out and about it is connected to the Tomtom Servers getting Traffic updates without the need for any Mobile phone involvement.

The GO520 is the same as the GO5200 except it has no internal mobile sim and so it relies on a connection to a Mobile phone with data to do the function that the Inbuilt sim would have done.

It is worth noting that should you have to do a factory reset of the device whilst away from home then either with the inbuilt Sim or on the GO520 using the mobile phone sim all your favourites , Poi files and Route files will be restored to the unit if you let it log into your Account. Also if you have more than one unit on the same account then it is worth logging out of your account whilst travelling. This does not effect traffic etc but stops the situation whereby when someone programmes a route on their device the same route is sent to the others on the same account even if they are in mid journey.

Doug