GO 520 connecting to smart phone and power question

Tuckerdognc
Tuckerdognc Registered Users Posts: 7
Neophyte Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I have an xl something. 2010. Don't even think it shows up anymore. So, I get an offer for the new 520. I have spent about 90 minutes looking for the answer to "just simply" connect to the phone and finally found the video on TomTom (about bluetooth etc).

So, I assume: Are the tom tom and the iphone (or android) both connected to power as well? Must the phone be on at the same time to get real time live traffic updates? So, there are two cords for powered required? One of the tomtom 520 and one for the iphone or android correct? Both going to the 12V (US)?

I read the manual about PAN and "might work" and "depends" and I really don't want to spend $160 unless I know I will be able to get real time live traffic. My XL(XYZ) had lifetime traffic and maps but it's "lifetime" is ending according to TomTom. Any clarification is appreciated.

Comments

• dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,385
     Superuser
    Tomtom has said that devices with lifetime maps will continue to get them.

Yes, the 520 will need power from the car with the included cable. Your smartphone is required to pick and transfer live traffic.

If you need a power cable for the phone, there are solutions for split ports that provide sufficient power to the two devices. The gps needs more than the power provided by a usb port in the car (.5A) but that is sufficient for the phone.
  • Tuckerdognc
    Neophyte Traveler
    dhn wrote:
    Tomtom has said that devices with lifetime maps will continue to get them.

Yes, the 520 will need power from the car with the included cable. Your smartphone is required to pick and transfer live traffic.

If you need a power cable for the phone, there are solutions for split ports that provide sufficient power to the two devices. The gps needs more than the power provided by a usb port in the car (.5A) but that is sufficient for the phone.
    Thanks. Fortunately, the car has two "chargers" next to one another and the USB in-between so I think I'm set; so that isn't an issue. The pairing is through Bluetooth, correct?
    I have enjoyed the tomtom I've had. The cable had a built in traffic node ... and I always enjoyed the "upcoming" notice, number of miles, and identification of the next step. I assume the 520 has all this as well?

And...
    Do you know which tomtom is the next step up that has a dash cam or lane assist?

Thanks for the quick response.
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,385
     Superuser
    Assume nothing about features of the 520 device. Many things in older models have been eliminated or cut back.

Here's a manual. Why not go through it and get a 'fee' for what's in there.....

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/refman/TomTom-GO-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf
  • Tuckerdognc
    Neophyte Traveler
    I have looked at the manual and my head spins from the "mays," "coulds," "mights," "sometimes," "depending upons," "not always," "notes," etc. Pages and pages of asterisks. My favorite: There may not be an alternate route if none exists.
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    To answer a few more of the questions you raised: The 520 definitely will give you better traffic info than the XL. Basic things like miles and/or time to destination are there. The "next step", for the most part is NOT there unless you are almost at that next step or if you ask for a list of "next steps" which then obscures your map. Currently, no TomTom satnav has a dash cam. They do have lane assist, which sometimes doesn't work (a fix is promised).
  • Tuckerdognc
    Neophyte Traveler
    big wrote:
    The "next step", for the most part is NOT there unless you are almost at that next step or if you ask for a list of "next steps" which then obscures your map.
    When I say "next step," what I mean is, for example, in so many miles you will turn or come to an intersection. At the top of the XL, the intersection is identified and at the bottom of the map it shows 12 miles, for example, before you will make the turn (which is also indicated, left, right, slight right). So does the 520 still have that at the top?

And can you still review the directions (like with WAZE) if you want to check in text mode?

The lane assist has never always shown up ... I've used a tom tom for 8-9 yrs and I'd say about 90% of the time. Often, though, we laugh at obvious ones and freak over the ones where, if you miss it, you end up in the fourth dimension. The panic is when you're on an interstate and everyone is going 80 and you get the "bear left than bear left, turn left, then turn right, bear left." WTF? :-)
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    Yes, in the new models the next step only shows up when you are just a couple of miles from the next step. It's ridiculous, but so are a lot of things about the new models. You CAN review the directions in text mode.

The lane assist isn't at every intersection, just like on the old ones. But on intersections where is normally does show up, sometimes it does not. That is the issue TomTom has acknowledged and promises to fix.