Road Closures- Not able to cope TomTom devices — TomTom Community

Road Closures- Not able to cope TomTom devices

MrGainMrGain Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
Why can't TomTom cope with road closures?

Classic example tonight, road closed for hours, surrounding areas clogged with traffic, TomTom re routes to the closed road simply because the algorithm writers at TomTom won't use TMC and "see" the road as traffic free and open.

TomTom genius at it's best - hopeless.

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,542 Superuser
    @MrGain

Which device are you finding this problem on?

See https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_GB
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • MrGainMrGain Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi,

Go 5000 / 5100

Not really a problem Audi Nav sorted it.

Cheers
    Hi,

I understand now why this happens, as TomTom doesn’t use TMC and relies primarily on traffic flow data routes are planned using routes with the least traffic, so unless a manual entry has been made to confirm a closed road TomTom will route using the closed road which of course has no traffic!!

TomTom have chosen not to confirm or deny if this the case.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 622 Superuser
    MrGain wrote:
    I understand now why this happens, as TomTom doesn’t use TMC and relies primarily on traffic flow data routes are planned using routes with the least traffic, so unless a manual entry has been made to confirm a closed road TomTom will route using the closed road which of course has no traffic!!
    Only partially... it also uses feeds from government traffic agencies and local councils, and other sources. See the PDF here for more details.
    For whatever reason TomTom are way off the pace taking closed roads into account, no mention of closed roads just road delays.

"The data in each HD Traffic file includes road delays allowing routing programs to evaluate the true travel time to each destination. All relevant congestion information can be displayed on the device screen"

To be fair TomTom traffic is better than Connected Nav Pro from BMW, however I would never solely rely on TomTom.

Never had a reply from TomTom when I've sent examples of failed routes from Geneva to the French Alps.