Is my GPS receiver dying?

Noctuola
Noctuola Registered Users Posts: 19
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I've had my Runner 3 since last May. Until a few months ago it always picked up the GPS signal VERY quickly at the start of a run, but then it started getting slower and slower and now it generally takes several minutes (regardless of whether or not it's cloudy or there are trees around).

Today, for the first time, it completely failed to record an accurate GPS track at all. For half of this morning's run the entire track was shifted about 100-200m to the northeast and at one point it lost the signal completely and failed to register almost 2 km of my route -- I ran over 10k but it was recorded as about 8.5k.

The GPS tracks have always been super accurate when I've viewed them in Strava -- until today's epic fail. Could this be an indication that the GPS receiver is packing up?

If so, do I have any recourse? Has anyone else had issues with the GPS?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,948
     Superuser
    Are you updating the QuickGPS file a minimum of every three days by syncing the watch? This caches the expected satellite locations and makes for quicker attainment. Also do not try to get signal while moving, you are just making it harder on the watch. Best to just sit still with the button pointing skyward (or take it off and place it on a flat surface) until it finds the GPS. Make sure the watch is in an unobstructed area without large buildings, tree cover or reflective surfaces as this will cause a lot of interference. It will also take longer the first time you are in a new location but will speed up thereafter as it caches the location data for that spot. Once you get the Go it is best to give it another minute or two as Go is just the minimum satellites locked on. The longer you wait the more it will grab and the better your signal will be.

You may want to try a factory reset as the firmware may have developed a glitch causing the bad readings. To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the device to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided and when prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Noctuola
    Noctuola Registered Users Posts: 19
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you for your detailed reply. Yes, my last sync was three days before the problem run, so the satellite info should have been current -- and I've never before had an issue with GPS fix after two rest days without syncing. I didn't try to get signal while moving; the watch seemed to pick up the signal quite normally before I started running.

The factory reset, however, APPEARS to have done some good. At any rate, I got a perfect GPS track for my run this morning, so I hope it really was just a firmware glitch. Thanks so much for suggesting it.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,948
     Superuser
    Noctuola wrote:
    Thank you for your detailed reply. Yes, my last sync was three days before the problem run, so the satellite info should have been current -- and I've never before had an issue with GPS fix after two rest days without syncing. I didn't try to get signal while moving; the watch seemed to pick up the signal quite normally before I started running.

The factory reset, however, APPEARS to have done some good. At any rate, I got a perfect GPS track for my run this morning, so I hope it really was just a firmware glitch. Thanks so much for suggesting it.
    Glad I could help. When you get a chance please mark my response as a solution so others with the same question can look for it.