TomTom Rider Data usage for TomTom Services? — TomTom Community

TomTom Rider Data usage for TomTom Services?

RobertShaw66RobertShaw66 Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
edited January 30 in RIDER
This may turn out to be daft questions, but I just don't know and I hope someone knows the answer.

I have a TomTom Rider and as its paired to my phone, does it use my phones data and if it does what is the expected use?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,196 Superusers
    Hi
    @RobertShaw66

Internet....
    I'm in the UK the largest data download is the Full Europe Map around 7GB for my GO 520 Wifi
    Normally they issue new maps every 3 months, Feb, May, Aug, Nov

Phone....
    I use a Nokia 625 Windows Phone for Live Traffic + Phone
    I use to buy a Data Goody Bag for the Live Traffic... One month I forgot to renew, and the Data was billed to my Pay as you Go Account, the charge was so small I haven't bothered to renew my Data Goody Bag
    But obviously If your a Professional Driver on the road every day, you would use more data

The Live Traffic system is different for the USA & Canada

Tomtom FAQ
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1576

ATB YFM
  • RobertShaw66RobertShaw66 Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks.

I have the maps already on the Sat Nav.

What I'm trying to say and not very well is how much data does the Sat Nav take from the phone when riding.
    Hi
    @RobertShaw66

Phone....
    I use a Nokia 625 Windows Phone for Live Traffic + Phone
    I use to buy a Data Goody Bag for the Live Traffic... One month I forgot to renew, and the Data was billed to my Pay as you Go Account, the charge was so small I haven't bothered to renew my Data Goody Bag
    But obviously If your a Professional Driver on the road every day, you would use more data

The Live Traffic system is different for the USA & Canada

Tomtom FAQ Phone data usage
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1576

ATB YFM
  • RobertShaw66RobertShaw66 Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    Thank you. That's what I want to hear!

I'm off to France & Belgium soon for a fortnight, so I was getting a bit concerned.
  • SttumppSttumpp Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have just bought TT rider 550....
    And have to say I'm disgusted at the data usage .
    Download my drive it says. Small app! Then it feeds itself 8gb of maps . Great half a months data gone .
    I live in a remote place homes broad band not practical only mobile data....
    Then date was 3 days wrong can't set manually.
    So did software update via wifi . And 7.6 gb gone
    I've had to phone mobile company to get data add on
    No warning and a costly experience just too set date no more wifi updates for me
    ea223fe0-cfe1-4f5c-ae21-753132ff329d.jpgea223fe0-cfe1-4f5c-ae21-753132ff329d.jpg
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 726 Superuser
    There’s nothing wrong about it, nothing unusual... You used the WiFi connection that is intended only for system software and maps update and management usage. It looks that your device was outdated and it downloaded all the necessary updates. (That happens 4 times a year). You may manage the maps to load a smaller region of the map...

The Bluetooth connection that is intended for Live Traffic, MyDrive etc consumes very little data, as discussed here...

You shouldn’t use mobile phone’s WiFi PAN network, only Bluetooth...

See the user manual for more detail...
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#WelcometonavigationwithTomTom-RIDER.htm
    The rider 550 just released is out of date ? First instance tried to connect blue tooth .. do it in my drive it advised me . Big mistake that took over 6 gig off me .
    Then the date and time was 3 days wrong . Even after a road from with satt connection. So checked for update via wifi you know the bit in promotion no cables required .....
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 726 Superuser
    From the manufacturing date to the release date can be some months. It seems that it was manufactured before the release of the last map update (February), and definitely before the last software update (9 days ago), not weird at all for the digital world...
    Lessons learnt everyday . Will do updates in pub from now on ,on their free WiFi and lick my wounds... at least Sat nav knows it's Saturday and not next Monday now
    Hi
    @Sttumpp

When electronic devices like these PND's are built, the memory on the device is flashed with the latest Operating system and the latest Maps available at the date of manufacture
    They are packed and transferred to warehouses while stocks are built up
    Then distributed around the world, again transferred to a warehouse distributed to retail outlets, where they may be in stock for months

the latest Operating system and Maps were released recently so will require updating the full Europe Map is 7GB + (These updates happens 4 times per year)

It looks like you updated the device using your phone ???

Haven't you got an a Internet connection Hardwired or Wi-Fi to update the Operating system and Maps

the only data that should be used on your Phone is the Bluetooth connection for Live Traffic etc...

ATB YFM
    I live in a remote part of Wales and no phone company want to fit phone ! So 4g is all I have
    But from now on I will update else where .
    Being prompted to install mydrive is annoying tho as I had no idea it would install Europe . But for now I'm up todate thanks for the info
    I feel a warning should be added too mydrive for the sake of data charges
    Hi
    @Sttumpp

Just a heads up... You will have installed the v1005 Map. the v1010 (Europe 7GB+) is overdue, maybe available shortly

VikramK (Tomtom employee) gives an answer here....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-installation-43/when-will-the-next-tomtom-maps-updates-v10-10-be-released-1036097/index1.html#post1222059

PS If the Date/Time is wrong... Next time try....
    a Drum roll restart on the device

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky

ATB YFM