GO 620 Unable to connect for Traffic Services with iPhone5 — TomTom Community

GO 620 Unable to connect for Traffic Services with iPhone5

I have followed ALL the instructions for connecting my iPhone5 using the My Drive App to my GO620.

The phone does connect via bluetooth. The My Drive App is running on my phone.

My GO620 does show that I am connected for Phone audio and Smartphone messages, but that it is unable to connect for Traffic & other services. I do have that function enabled.

On my iPhone I have:
Mobile Data enabled with Roaming on
Personal Hotspot enabled
Notifications Enabled for My Drive
Location enabled for My Drive
TomTom Traffic Checker widget running

Is there anything else that I should be looking for as I have now run out of ideas?

My only other option will be to contact Product Support but wanted any other ideas from the Forum before doing so.

Many thanks in anticipation

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,006 Superusers
    For some, resetting the network settings on the iPhone helped. Also try to press and hold the ON button on the TT, until you hear the drum roll. If you use iOS 10.2, it is full of bugs and Apple is just about to release 10.3 to address some of those.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Nuttyal,

Welcome to the Community!

Should Zsolt's advise not help you sort this out, you can find some further advice here [FAQ - Bluetooth® connections].

Please, post back here if you have further questions.

Cheers, Mikko
  • NuttyalNuttyal Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    hi Mikko,

Thanks for your response.

I did follow the instructions indicated, but still not able to connect for traffic data.

I contacted customer support who were quite helpful and we went through various scenarios. Unfortunately I was still not able to resolve the issue. They ended up by saying they were aware of a technical issue with the iPhones and that they are investigating. Would have been helpful if they had told me that at first!

I did subsequently try again and noticed that my phone did connect for traffic data but only for a short while on a couple of occasions. So there does appear to be a technical issue somewhere! It is not my iPhone or TomTom device.

Regards

Nuttyal
  • bigbig Posts: 1,568 Superuser
    @Nuttyal Does it make a difference if you disable Personal Hotspot? It does not need to be enabled and I wonder if the phone or the TomTom is getting "confused" by the simultaneous WiFi and Bluetooth connections you'd get with hotspot enabled.

@Zsolt -- I wouldn't count on 10.3 any time soon -- Beta 1 has just been released to developers and there are typically several beta cycles. Not to mention a new iOS always breaks the MyDrive app!
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,006 Superusers
    Hmm...that's odd. Last week, my local radio channel mentioned the iOS update coming to public in the middle of January. Seems like that information might be incorrect then.
    I have now resolved this issue!

The answer is relatively simple when thinking about it, but frustrations always get in the way!

For the TomTom device to be able to connect with the iPhone for 'Data for Traffic', the device needs to be disconnected from any other WiFi signal. That means being away from your home internet connection.

As soon as I disconnected my WiFi from my TomTom device, it was able to instantly connect for 'Data for Traffic' through my Smartphone

With my TomTom device being connected to the internet and me being sat in front of my computer, trying to connect my iPhone for Data for Traffic, I will not succeed!

It is now clear that a connected WiFi signal takes priority over the Smartphone WiFi.

Maybe the instruction manual should give a warning of this anomaly so that other users don't fall into the same predicament!
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Nuttyal,

I'm glad to hear you got it sorted and thanks for sharing the solution! :D

The Wi-Fi® connection indeed overrides all Bluetooth® connections. The reason behind this is that the Wi-Fi® is mean for updating only and the device goes to a power saving mode disconnecting all Bluetooth® connections. Once you're out of the range of your Wi-Fi® connection the Bluetooth® connections resume again.

I'll take this up with the documentation team to see how we could communicate this better.

Cheers, Mikko
  • bigbig Posts: 1,568 Superuser
    Yes, WiFi takes precedence, but that's not a problem -- if you are connected WiFi then traffic is received via WiFi instead of via the phone's bluetooth. This is great for vehicles which have WiFi built in, for example. See this link for confirmation: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-wi-fi-6200-5200-620-520-482/does-tomtom-go-620-wifi-allow-traffic-updates-via-wifi-1012571?postid=1123034

Yes, the notice that your phone is not connected is confusing!
    I think if we are tech savvy, we can work out the issues and realise where the problems stem from. BUT, if we are not as tech savvy as some, we can have a lot of problems trying to sort issues especially when the instruction manuals don't alert us to anomalies that can arise as in my case; and I consider myself to be fairly tech savvy.

Problem now sorted and i hope that if any other user has the same issue they should be able to find a resolution here.

Thank you MikkoK for your input. If you are able to get the instruction manual amended it would be a great help.
  • Lev-rileyLev-riley Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tomtom service now working thank you that solved my problem just turn off you tomtoms wifi you saved me from taking it back to the shop and getting my money back
    nuttyal you want to get a job at tomtom

thank you very much

Samsung S8
    :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: