Start 25 keeps showing "Charging Battery"

My 12 month old start 25 keeps flashing up"charging battery" when using it in the car. At the same time, the screen brightness changes. This happens about every minute or so. The car power source is constant, and the charging lead is not faulty. It does this whatever car its used in. This is very distracting when driving and I can't believe it's right. Any suggestions please?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,156 Superusers
    Are you using a usb port in the car? If so, don't. Insufficient power. Use the car charger that came with the device.

If you are using the latter, then ensure contact is firm at both the device end with the cable insertion and the charger is fully inserted into the hole in the auto.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,525 Superuser
    @idratheruseamap

Are you using a USB port in your vehicle?
    As the USB ports in your vehicle provides only 0.5Amps whereas your device should have 1.2Amps to run AND charge the battery. With a vehicle USB port the reduced power means that the device tries to save it's power requirements by dimming the screen, it then sleeps.
    Try plugging the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger, does it then keep sleeping?
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • idratheruseamapidratheruseamap Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Many thanks for the replies. The device is plugged in to the cigarette lighter using the original cable. When not powering the tom tom, this same c/l powers other devices with no problem. Also, I have checked the output from the c/l using a multi-meter and it is a constant voltage (i.e. not intermittent). The same issue occurs whatever car the tom tom is used in.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,156 Superusers
    Maybe support has some ideas:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.