New SD card not recognized — TomTom Community

New SD card not recognized

1515 tried to update us and europe maps - not enough space. Bought a 32 SDHC card (as recommended by TT) - installed it - TT formatted it - not recognized when I try the icon it says: insert memory card. Looked on the device - it shows the card and available space. Meanwhile downloaded something twice for several hours - first time it stopped about 95% - second time the create space screen appeared. In addition it seems to sometimes "connect" to PC and loose connection. On the device the message: something went wrong - service not available ... appears and goes away again.
I have yet (in several years) have ANYTHING go right on the TT website. Tech support tries and keeps asking questions until they find something I can't do and then pounce and declare that as the problem. Example: try a different computer - didn't work same problem - try a third computer - don't have one. I am nearing the end of the second week trying to update my maps - might try smoke signals ...
Any help is appreciated.
KlausG

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,814
    Superuser
    @KlausG

First try to do a soft reset, you will loose nothing, it is like rebooting your computer and reloads all the new files from an update.

A soft reset :- with your device charged for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply; press and hold your on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound (or the TomTom hands symbol appears) then release the on/off button.

If it is refusing to see the memory card contact Customer Services

CS United States
    866 486 6866
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST
    Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m EST
  • KlausGKlausG Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Thanks - we must have done the soft boot 20 times or more - re-boot computer - re-load software - etc. - and with every new tech we go through the same thing. It seems that this problem has been around for a time. I played with it and found one strange item. The network connection - besides the internet wifi has a second connection listed: Unknown - no internet access, Local area connection doesn't have valid IP configuration. It is definitely from TT. Does this mean anything?
    I can get to a partial map download (since I can't create more space by transferring to the HD card) and then it won't connect to the device: "waiting for device" and suggestion: unplug USB and re-connect.
    KlausG
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,277 Moderator
    Hi KlausG

I had a look at your contact history but I am not able to find any recent incident number for your contact with the Customer Service.

Could you click on this link to sent me the incident number through a PM, so I can send them a heads up.

Thanks
    Vikram
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,007
    Superusers
    Those models were very picky on 32GB cards. Try to get a 16GB card and it should be fine with that.
    I am unable to use the link you sent (Not Authorized) and when I sign in there is no more link.
    the case number is: Reference Number: 161203-xxxxxx

Mod edit: Please don't post personal information on a public forum. Thank you:)
    How many cards should I buy? 8GB did not work - 32GB - incredible overkill - from the TT website - did not work - now I buy a 16gb? Anybody interested to get unusable SD cards - I'll send them to you ...
    This is truly disgusting - tech support sent me a link because they can't find the incident from a few days ago - the link gets me to "You are not authorized to use this webpage" - when I sign in the link disappears.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,311
    Superusers
    Klaus, can you try support again? Open Saturdays.

(for what it is worth, I always suggest -- and use -- 16 gb cards by SanDisk in my devices).
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,277 Moderator
    KlausG wrote:
    How many cards should I buy? 8GB did not work - 32GB - incredible overkill - from the TT website - did not work - now I buy a 16gb? Anybody interested to get unusable SD cards - I'll send them to you ...
    This is truly disgusting - tech support sent me a link because they can't find the incident from a few days ago - the link gets me to "You are not authorized to use this webpage" - when I sign in the link disappears.

Thank you for providing the incident number. I have now sent a heads up to the customer service. So someone will get in touch with you for further assistance.

Regards
    Vikram
  • dyngsdyngs Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have the same issue with my GO 5000. I had 8GB is working but too small for map them bought 32GB but is not recognised. I followed all steps as above but not solution. Please help
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,007
    Superusers
    Just in case, format it to FAT32 in a PC, then put it in the TT. If it doesn't recognize it yet, keep the card in, then press and hold the ON button, until you hear the drum roll. If no luck, then the card is incompatible or maybe non-genuine.
    thanks for reply, these steps did not work,
    my card is new Samsung EVO+ 32GB UHS-I Class 10.

I will have to order new card 16GB... so disappointing!!!!
    As per advised I bought new card SanDisk Ultra 16GB UHS_I card. Connected to TomTom and again the same issue!!!! Card is not recognised. Exactly same think as I was connected this 32GB that I bought before.
    This is new card, I formatted then press tomtom to reset and heat this sounds. But nothing works I can not install my Europe map as card is not recognised!!!!
    When I hard restart I can see on Tom Tom in black screen that 16GB card is inserted but in MyDrive connect it is grey out.
    Please anyone can help me.
    How many card do I need to buy to install map? :disappointed_relieved:
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,311
    Superusers
    Did the device do the formatting for maps?

What country are you in?