TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Who is creating speed camera data and how often?

CarminatCarminat Posts: 934 [Supreme Pioneer]
edited January 29 in Speed Cameras
I drive into London along the M4 motorway regularly. For MANY months now, the cameras have been wrong. There's a stretch of 40mph average speed cameras reported between junctions 12 and 13 which were removerd MANY months ago. So long ago, in fact, that the later average speed cameras which have been reinstalled at 50mph replaced them months ago! These are not in the database on my device. They still appear as 40mph (from the old expired data) and are an extreme annoyance to be constantly warning me that I'm travelling over the 40mph limit which is no longer valid. There is a stretch of average speed, previously just a mile or so at junction 10, which long ago was extended to start soon after junction 11 yet this too is not in the database. From Heston Services, the 60mph limit fixed cameras were long ago replaced by av erage speed cameras, similarly the 40mph fixed speed on the overhead approach into London were also replaced by average speed cameras.

These details have been in place for MANY months and yet they don't appear correctly on the database - I update my device very regularly.

This service is what we are paying for - even on lifetime devices. So just what are we paying for? A simple service that warns of a few cameras which were shown a few years ago? Who is doing the database reporting? How often are they reporting? The M4 is a VERY heavily trafficked route. I can understand that some minor routes out in the countryside may not be surveyed for cameras too frequently, but a route like the M4 surely should have surveys on an almost constant basis. And if somebody is actually doing it, they would find it VERY easy to cruise along this motorway to sort it all out.

I find these inadequate surveys on most motorways, so it seems we are paying for something we are not getting. Let's hear back from TomTom as to whether or not they actually employ a dedicated team of camera reporters, because from what I see in my travels, it seems they do not.

If I bought a new device and when I got home found only an empty box I would have been conned by the seller. I've bought the camera service and there's nothing there!!
Where there's a will, there's a wake.

Comments

• CarminatCarminat Posts: 934 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Nudge, nudge, nudge!!!

Perhaps I should have entitled this "Who from TomTom monitors and answers enquiries of this nature on this forum?"

Maybe the answer to both questions is "Nobody"!!
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,491 Superuser
    @Carminat

Maybe @MvanAken or even @Robbiebot could chime in
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button :thumb_up:
    If someone answered your question? Answer yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,037 TomTom Moderator
    Hi Carminat

Have you reported the missing Speed cameras using MapShare reporter already? If not, then could you do this, please?

Our team will then look into the proposed solution and making the changes.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,491 Superuser
    @VikramK

You are missing the point of this thread, the big question is
    Carminat wrote:
    Let's hear back from TomTom as to whether or not they actually employ a dedicated team of camera reporters, because from what I see in my travels, it seems they do not.
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button :thumb_up:
    If someone answered your question? Answer yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
    VikramK wrote:
    Hi Carminat

Have you reported the missing Speed cameras using MapShare reporter already? If not, then could you do this, please?

Regards
    Vikram
    No VikramK, I have not. I don't know about anybody else, but as a driver who has done over 200,000 miles in the UK over the last four years, there are two reasons for that :-

First, I don't have a computer running MapShare reporter sitting on the passenger seat beside me, so I can't report anything as I drive AND (ever since Tom Tom abandoned the Mapshare reporting feature on devices) it would be dangerous, not to say illegal, to sit there at the driving seat making notes of locations and details suitable for MapShare reporter AND I can't remember a whole bunch (with any degree of accuracy) when I get home 300 miles and six hours later in the day.

Second, I have paid YOU to do that for me - isn't that how you justify charging the camera subscription? Or do you sell the subscription only in order to require subscribers to do the reporting for you? If the latter, why do we pay for the privilege? Why don't you offer some incentive to us for doing the reporting? My point is that we have all paid for the camera service and my evidence/experience suggests you are not providing it. This is exactly the same situation as with maps - we pay for map updates in order to have up to date maps and generally speaking, you provide them, having found changes by some means, one of which is surely by driving along roads. That's the way to do good camera updating and I'm asking if indeed you do just that? I'm not expecting you to be driving along every last minor back road in the country, but I AM saying you are NOT red hot on the cameras ball with every last motorway in the country. For a company the size and supposed reputation of TomTom, you should be employing somebody like me (or several of me) to do this on a permanent basis in order to match up to your publicity/marketing.
    And still the only comment from TomTom is to ask me to report missing cameras using the Mapshare reporter which is not in my van, rather than using their own staff to go out and check. M4 cameras were still not right yesterday. In the matter of value for money, the camera service is not.

Poor performance TomTom, not caring about customers.
    Average speed cameras are still wrong on the M4 - a major route into London and TomTom don't check the cameras database.

Once again I say "Poor performance TomTom, not caring about customers". That's PAYING customers, by the way.
  • Kwclough5100Kwclough5100 Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Many many new locations around Newcastle upon Tyne for mobile camera sites, reported vai my 5100 as when I see them but they are never put on the database as a hot spot.

also years old problem of not able to report that fact there is really a camera van at a hotspot.
  • KennersKenners Posts: 11 [Master Traveler]
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 421 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I have a suspicion that TomTom don't actually have anyone who knows about navigation working on anything. Reasons? Here's a few examples: Mapshare reports being rejected arbirarily and even when accepted, not appearing on maps. Here's one example I reported recently. Then there is the issue of regularly being sent down narrow country lanes when there are perfectly good A or B roads nearby. This also has been reported ad nauseum but nothing gets done about it. I reported just such a case very recently, which you can see at the tail end of this thread. Finally, consider the fact that there has been almost no enhancements provided for our devices in many months. Does this strike you as a company that is both competent in what it is doing and one that cares about its customers. The camera database is quite frankly an expensive white elephant, unfit for purpose. Even the voice recognition is so bad that I have to leave it switched off (it somehow thinks that the background sound of my air conditioning equates to the wake-up command "Hello TomTom")!
    BrianE
    BrianE wrote:
    Even the voice recognition is so bad that I have to leave it switched off (it somehow thinks that the background sound of my air conditioning equates to the wake-up command "Hello TomTom")!

LOL

I use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.speedcams.android.map&hl=en_GB Seems to update every so often though refuses to recognise the cameras at 21A M6 as it joins the M62 Eastbound.

As for mini-roundabouts, Garmin does not always recognise them either.
    BrianE wrote:
    Even the voice recognition is so bad that I have to leave it switched off (it somehow thinks that the background sound of my air conditioning equates to the wake-up command "Hello TomTom")!
    Ahah! Mystery solved, I wondered why my GO6200 wakes up and asks me for instructions. I keep meaning to change the wake up command to something like "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" to see if I can stop it doing it! Most annoying that there is no navigation whilst it tries to understand my aircon!
  • Kwclough5100Kwclough5100 Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Kenners wrote:
    Map share does not allow for mobile hot spots.
    also why disable the option to report a camera is at the hotspot to update live there is one there and not just keep it as a maybe?
    too many new spots never put on. must of had loads of people reporting them by now.
    im a member of a Facebook group for cameras that are seen active and most sightings are not on the tomtom
    Carminat wrote:
    BrianE wrote:
    Ahah! Mystery solved, I wondered why my GO6200 wakes up and asks me for instructions. I keep meaning to change the wake up command to something like "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" to see if I can stop it doing it! Most annoying that there is no navigation whilst it tries to understand my aircon!
    What a good idea - I might try something like that. Although given the fact that it can't respond properly to most of anything else I have to say, I doubt it will still be much use. I could perhaps try swearing at it - that might provoke a reaction?!
    BrianE
    It must be at least ten years since I found that TT voice recognition DOESN'T. With every new TT I buy, I give it a test and it still hasn't improved. I have already tried swearing, both mildly and extremely foully, and it's not successful - the device simply shows a list of addresses and says it doesn't recognise that, which number do you require, please state the number on the list or say Back. The only command it DOES recognise is BACK.

But I confess, I haven't tried "Hello TomTom".

Many years ago I suggested that they should startup with a voice training session. Alternatively, when voice is activated, use a numbered list for the next set of commands and so on. Nobody listened.
    "Thanks for your report!
    Come back at any time to check the status of your reports in Map Share Reporter.
    Report another map change
    [h2]My reports[/h2]On screen: 3 Total: 3
    Filter by
    Current view is last 6 months
    SubmittedTypeStatus info_button_v6.png?21321
    19 May 2018 Add camera Pending, 18 May 2018 Update camera Accepted, 10 May 2018 Update camera Accepted"

"Accepted" I have been passed Langsett Barn in between A616 and indeed cameras have been updated, instead of "Fixed camera, 40 Miles an hour" I get "Average speed zone, 40 miles and hour" brought a smile to my face.

Two accepted and I am sure both will be updated, third, we wait and see :)

To those despondent about Tomtom`s camera coverage. As far as I can see this project is a community spirited project, I doubt Tomtom, can go round every street in UK on a monthly basis checking for updated cameras.
    Kenners wrote:
    19 May 2018 Add camera Pending, 18 May 2018 Update camera Accepted, 10 May 2018 Update camera Accepted"

"Accepted" I have been passed Langsett Barn in between A616 and indeed cameras have been updated, instead of "Fixed camera, 40 Miles an hour" I get "Average speed zone, 40 miles and hour" brought a smile to my face.

Two accepted and I am sure both will be updated, third, we wait and see :)

To those despondent about Tomtom`s camera coverage. As far as I can see this project is a community spirited project, I doubt Tomtom, can go round every street in UK on a monthly basis checking for updated cameras.
    So you are telling us that this week you reported cameras on the A616 and hopefully they will be updated on the “community spirited project”.

And your reward is a smile on your face as you realise that you have paid to subscribe to be able to report cameras so that TomTom can charge others for them and charge you to continue reporting them.

I happen to to be a member of another “community spirited project”, which already has all the average speed cameras on the A616, not “wait and see”. By the way, it doesn’t beep to warn of cameras, it speaks a warning, including the type of camera - fixed, redspeed, red light, average speed, mobile AND the speed at which it traps. And if you are successful in being the first to report a new camera, they give you a year’s free subscription.

TomTom don’t offer that reward, they simply sell the service. But my starting of this thread was because TT’s cameras are seriously out of date and if they sell a service they should either make sure it is up to date and accurate, or offer a reward for us to participate in the “community spirited project”. As they don’t offer rewards for our reports, the least they could do is get the data up to date and accurate - that requires far better resources than just hoping we will report cameras. Frankly, I don’t think TT applies resources to the project, because even minimal resources would capture cameras on a heavily trafficked motorway near the country’s capital. I asked TT to comment.
    It appears we are talking at cross purposes.

I do not pay anything, you appear to have paid-for app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.speedcams.android.map&hl=en_GB That is the one I use, it does talk to you, as I do not pay anything that is where the "community spirited project" comes in, nothing is free in life, and I get this almost free :)

I have no idea the app you use. :)

I do wonder why yours is not up to date and this one seems to get updated, strange one!
    Kenners wrote:
    I do wonder why yours is not up to date and this one seems to get updated, strange one!
    You seem to have not read my post - I said that whilst your app is only just reporting cameras on the A616 and is waiting for approval of them, the app I use already has them all up and working since long before you reported them - so yours is NOT up to date, mine is!
  • rjm2krjm2k Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Adding my 2ps as a new member, just subscribed to TT speed cams after getting caught.

I'm finding the TT database quite inaccurate and even worse impossible to update. The mobile cam that caught me has been there for years, yet it doesn't show and they rejected my submission.

There is a variable speed zone near me because of roadworks, it is incorrectly reported by TT, they show it starting about a mile later than it really does and there seems to be no way of correcting that. Additionally, I find it rather irritating that in a known temporary 40 limit, it still shows the original speed limit as 70 but I guess that's so that only those who pay for the cams get the extra info.

On the "other community spirited project" I have found that to be quite inaccurate too, apparently reporting 70 cameras in a 30 zone! additionally, the app for that particular project doesn't work on my main phone, I intend to look into that app more and see if I can update the information local to me.

on top of all that, I have found that after they "retired" my Go 720 (despite still owing me 2 map updates that I paid for), there is a rumour that they will shortly retire my Go 50 (with lifetime maps and traffic) too. It will be the last tomtom I purchase if that's the case. products like TT need to provide added benefits over and above others, it seems they do the exact opposite
    You seem to agree with my comment about updates on TT cameras.

But I have to say I offer you no sympathy for getting caught by a camera that "has been there for years" which quite obviously you know about, even to the extent that you have reported it to TT! However, TT do not report mobile camera SITES, only mobile cameras which have been reported as in action - they put them on the database for only a couple of hours, then take them off again. The database I use puts mobile camera SITES on their database, whether there is ever a camera there - users wanted it that way, but many complain that there's never a mobile van there and they don't want to be notified of them - it does have the option of not notifying about mobile sites. TomTom policy is to only show mobiles when there is actually one operating there and then, as reported by their users - seems a poor idea to me as I can't be messing with tapping screens and indeed it's illegal whilst driving (and there's no other way of reporting with any accuracy).

Seems you are using the wrong "other community spirited project" if it is as inaccurate as you say, the one I use is extremely accurate AND up to date.
  • rjm2krjm2k Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I don't recall asking for sympathy, nor did I offer any explanation as it's none of your business. I wanted to add the camera as it's supposed to be about improving road safety rather than generating revenue, interestingly, despite the camera catching around 30-60 people for every hour it is there, the numbers don't come down but there is never any change to the road to improve safety when the camera isn't there.

Anyway, I have tried reporting cameras on TT and nothing shows, not even for a few hours. The variable speed zone I mentioned is by far inaccurate and I will try to report this via mapshare. I will also try out the other community project a little more.
    Nudge, nudge, nudge TomTom. Five months ago I asked the question and still no response.
    [h1]Who is creating speed camera data and how often?[/h1]The cameras on M4 are still wrong, as if it matters!!!
    Well, this might give you a clue about what's going on at TomTom. I went to the trouble of sending the following letter by post to their HQ. I expected to receive a written reply from a senior member of staff at TomTom, but no, my enquiry was directed back to a UK customer services advisor and although he tried to be helpful, he couldn't find any colleagues that could provide satisfactory answers to my questions. The best he could offer was for me to keep on using mapshare reporter and eventually things should improve. In other words, the customers have got to keep on finding the errors and problems that they should be doing and then maybe, just maybe, some of them might get fixed at some indeterminate date in the future. Here's the letter I wrote:-

"Dear Sirs

I have one of your portable in-car satellite navigators (model GO 6200) and I have a number of questions for which I would really appreciate having some answers.

First of all, may I say that there are many features of my GO 6200 that I really like, such as the clear instructions given at complex junctions and the way the map zooms in at roundabouts to make it easier to see which exit to take. However, there are a number of things which are not so good, many of which have been discussed ad nauseum on your official forum and which are causing your customers to become increasingly frustrated. I have therefore decided to write this letter to you in the hope that you can provide answers as to why some of the issues we have raised, often over a period of several years, have still not been addressed. Here are some of the issues for which I would like answers:-

1. Being routed down narrow country lanes, when there are perfectly good A or B classified roads available. I have raised this issue many times on the forum, the latest just a few days ago here: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/ask-a-question-469/what-on-earth-is-wrong-with-tomtom-routing-1036552 In the UK, this could easily be solved by providing an option to avoid unclassified roads. As it is, being sent down these wholly-unsuitable roads is likely to cause damage to our vehicles and would be potentially dangerous on a wet night in winter. Imagine meeting a vehicle coming the other way and having to reverse back up such a narrow, winding track in the dark and rain with windows misting up – would you like to do it? I think not. Something is fundamentally wrong when Google maps can plan decent routes, but our dedicated satellite navigation equipment cannot.
    2. Lack of proper support for custom POI’s. For example, many of us would prefer to use third-party mobile speed camera databases, such as the excellent one available at pockergpsworld, but we can’t do so and the TomTom mobile cameras (in the UK at least) are hopelessly inadequate.
    3. The ability to turn off the annoying feature which zooms the map right out to 2D North-up view when a planned destination is reached, rather than staying on the selected 3D zoomed in view while driving along the active route. I have tried to turn this off, but I have never been able to do it on any TomTom device.
    4. Mapshare Reporter – It takes way too long for reported changes to take effect and often our reports are rejected for no good reason. Here is an example from the forum and despite the assurance that TomTom’s error has been corrected, it’s still showing as rejected when I log in to Mapshare: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-quality-75/proof-that-tomtom-don-t-know-what-they-are-doing-1035493
    5. The poor voice-recognition feature. It’s so unreliable as to be almost useless. My Amazon Fire TV can recognise my spoken instructions with almost 100% accuracy so why can’t my GO 6200? It even thought the sound of my air conditioning was its wake-up command recently, so how bad is that?

I hope you will address the issues I have raised and provide some real answers as to why little or no progress is being made on resolving these matters. We have paid a lot of money for our devices and we expect them to function as they ought to do, especially since TomTom have been in the business for a long time.

I look forward to receiving your response at your earliest convenience."
    BrianE
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,037 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Carminat

The team has been reviewing the stretch(M4) from Bristol to London and the information in our database seems to be updated.

So could you provide some precise locations with coordinates which I will forward.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.