MyDrive Connect and support for Linux — TomTom Community

MyDrive Connect and support for Linux

tobltobstobltobs Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
edited January 31 in MyDrive Connect
I know that TomTom thinks it doesn't make sense to support Linux as those are not enough customers.
Anyway there are still a few who would need at least a basic support for Linux.
Why is Garmin able to support Linux and TomTom not?

However my questions/suggestions:

Could TomTom please clarify that it is possible/impossible to use
- MyDrive with a Windows guest in VirtualBox,
- or if Wine is possible?

I mean take a look at Google (search for TomTom VirtualBox or TomTom Ubuntu) and add all those hours of senseless wasted time. If it is possible, then please TomTom support us with a tutorial, if not then make it obvious to every Linux user that it doesn't make sense to buy a TomTom.

Coming from Garmin I really regret to buy a TomTom this time.

To all those windows fan boys (especially the wanna be Stig), suggesting to buy a cheap windows box: No that is not an option and it is not about the money.

Comments

• walkerxwalkerx Posts: 252 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    with the release of the new devices that can receive updates via wifi, I don't think we'll ever see a Linux version of their desktop app, which is a bit stupid, seeing the devices run of a Linux build and they can write the software for android and mac
  • tfctfc Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I managed to use VirtualBox with an old Windows 7 disk to update the maps on my G0 510, this pages describes what I did, uploaded for my benefit mainly, http://walks.ndrw.co.uk/index.php?f=virtualbox.

I hope it is of use to you
  • enzo.svenzo.sv Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If I had known, I would have bought a garmin device! The next one will not be a tomtom...
  • Corrien MoesCorrien Moes Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    tobltobs wrote:
    I know that TomTom thinks it doesn't make sense to support Linux as those are not enough customers.
    Anyway there are still a few who would need at least a basic support for Linux.
    Why is Garmin able to support Linux and TomTom not?

However my questions/suggestions:

Could TomTom please clarify that it is possible/impossible to use
    - MyDrive with a Windows guest in VirtualBox,
    - or if Wine is possible?

I mean take a look at Google (search for TomTom VirtualBox or TomTom Ubuntu) and add all those hours of senseless wasted time. If it is possible, then please TomTom support us with a tutorial, if not then make it obvious to every Linux user that it doesn't make sense to buy a TomTom.

Coming from Garmin I really regret to buy a TomTom this time.

To all those windows fan boys (especially the wanna be Stig), suggesting to buy a cheap windows box: No that is not an option and it is not about the money.
  • Corrien MoesCorrien Moes Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I also regret that I bought a TomTom device. I bring it back to the store I bought it from. Of course I go back to Garmin. But still it is unbelievable that the Dutch company is not able to support the LINUX and UBUNTU users. I always thought the Dutch are so smart.
  • jksgvbjksgvb Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Why is there no web-based app for mydrive connect? That would make everybody happy and you could update it yourselves whenever needed.
  • RoadPilotRoadPilot Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I used to be able to use TomTom Home with Wine. Today I made numerous attempts to see if there was any chance of getting MyDrive Connect, to work with Ubuntu 18.04. I've come to the realization that not yet. There seems to be some issue with the USB Ethernet thing for one.

I'd say that if TomTom are concerned about so many Linux distrubutions to make software for. Why don't they use something like snapd? They should be able to come up with some package in that format.

I don't want to load an old computer with some old Windows operating system just for the sake of updating my TomTom.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,563 Superuser
    @RoadPilot

If your VIA 225 has a serial number starting with "BK" then I am afraid that TomTom have declared that device "End of Life" see https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/obsolete-products/
    That means no more updates, so you will need to purchase a new device, and the new NAV5 devices update via WiFi, so there is no need for a computer running Windos/MacOS//Linux
  • RoadPilotRoadPilot Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Niall wrote:
    @RoadPilot

If your VIA 225 has a serial number starting with "BK" then I am afraid that TomTom have declared that device "End of Life" see https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/obsolete-products/
    That means no more updates, so you will need to purchase a new device, and the new NAV5 devices update via WiFi, so there is no need for a computer running Windos/MacOS//Linux

The product was sold with lifetime maps. Not sure what that really means now. Yes I only found out yesterday that there was no phone or email support. Nothing was said about map and software updates.

I started looking at the new TomToms. Seems like the prices have gone up, compared to what I paid. Or at least to get WIFI you pay almost $300 AUD where I live. The price is OK. I may consider that. Even though I actually plan to get a Mac. Which means I will be able to install software for MyDrive Connect. Besides. My next car I'm sure to opt for in built navigation.

I did some thinking this morning about whether or not it was worth trying to load Windows Vista onto an old laptop that came with Windows XP and now has an older version of Linux. It never came with a Windows XP disc.

My Current laptop had Windows Vista. I replaced that with Ubuntu when Vista support ran out. Even though I have recently increased the RAM and have discovered it's 64 bit. I don't think it's worth the hassle of putting WIndows 10 on it.

So yes it's either buy a new navigation device or get a new computer.
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 252 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    @RoadPilot there should be no reason why they can't create a version for linux, especially as the devices use linux