Reported speed on the GO Mobile iOS

Car-TravelerCar-Traveler Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
Why an we not have an offset facility in the setup section to adjust the displayed MPH and therefor when speed warnings are given that match the car speed more closely, because car MPH is always Higer than TomTom MPH, and yes I do know why.

TomTom say it can't be done.

Comments

• Car-TravelerCar-Traveler Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Sorry second word should read "can"
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 611 [Exalted Navigator]
    @Car-Traveler

Under what basis are you comparing speeds?

Please remember that, by Design, Car Speedometers usually read "high" (by between 0 & 10%).

I don't know about iPhone (or Android) "APPS" but, usually, the standard TomTom devices are more accurate than a Car's Speedo!

Regards,

John-Jay

Thanks John-Jay
    Yes I am aware of all that you said, however I feel happier keeping to the Car's speedo but would like to be warned when i exeed the limit reelative to it.

Regards Car-Traveler
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 611 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi, @Car-Traveler ,

As far as I'm aware, NONE of the TomTom devices have that facility - hence, I would assume that is also applicable to the APPS.

TBH, I'm not aware of any device that would permit that!

However, just as a "discussion", what form would you want the offset to be?

The variation of a Car Speedo is non-linear - hence a 2mph offset at 30 probably would NOT be valid at any other Speed. Similarly, if you were to want a % offset (i.e. effectively a 2mph at 30 would be 4mph at 60, etc), it would be unlikely to be valid across the speed range.

The only way that I could speculate it working was to have a whole raft of offsets (i.e. set at individuals speeds of 5, 10, 15, 20, etc, etc) & put a fixed offset against each of them. Just my opinion. but I would suggest that is a lot of software effort for very little gain!!

Regards,

John-Jay

Hi John-Jay

in my case the differnce is between 2 to 5 MPH typicaly 4 MPH a 30 as per spido,
    So if I could enter an offset as an integer within say 2 to 8 as limits in the setup area that suited my driving style would be great, as I see it that would require minimum programing and would bu user adjutable.

Regards Car-Traveler
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,552 Superuser
    @Car-Traveler

The analyst who created the spec for these new NAV4/5 devices seems to think that users do not need to customise their devices, (like the older NAV2/3 devices).
    After release of these new models there is definitely an attack of NIH syndrome at TomTom :(
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"