Increasing Contrast on GO 6200 Display — TomTom Community

Increasing Contrast on GO 6200 Display

After having a GO 6100 for a couple of years which annually had to go back to TomTom for problems with constant rebooting and failure of the battery to hold charge, I thought I would change to a GO 6200. The device is very similar to the 6100 but the display has very washed out colours and this is not resolved by adjusting the brightness. Has anyone found a way to adjust the contrast?

Comments

• dmulvdmulv Posts: 620 Superuser
    I believe the 6200 uses the same screen as the 6100, in which case it sounds like you've got a faulty unit.

I'd suggest contacting customer services on 020 7949 0134 to arrange for a replacement.
    One other thing to check.... have you tried using it with the original TomTom charger and lead? Alternatives can struggle to supply sufficient power, which can cause the device to lower the screen brightness (even if set to maximum), and in doing so reducing the contrast.
  • ignatiusdragonignatiusdragon Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks dmulv
    The screen has much less contrast than my 6100 at whatever brightness. I have tried adjusting the brightness and that is all that is affected. The screen still looks washed out with faded colours. I am using the original TomTom lead. It sounds as if your first suggestion is the one to follow.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,960 Superusers
    Hi
    @ignatiusdragon
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... undefined]... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    (2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... (1)
    (3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info

Note... (1) At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services

As a test... Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/go-61-brightness-problems-1025607?postid=1177429

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

I am using the charger adapter and cable provided by TomTom, the device is permanently connected and it is not going into "power saving mode". My only issue is that the display is very washed out and lacking in contrast, to the point where it is difficult to see on a bright day. This is the same whether I am using the device in the car or charging it using mains electricity (when, presumably, there is no question of the power being inadequate).

When in use in the car, the battery reads fully charged at the end of a journey, so I am assuming the power supplied is sufficient to run the device and charge it as well.

When in operation, I am getting a reading of 5.1volts and 0.46amps. As you mention the TomTom supplied power adapter is rated at 5volts 1.2amps, am I to assume there is insufficient current to adequately power the device?

As my VW is a typical British/European car, is it likely that the fitted power sockets do not provide sufficient current?
    If you're getting washed-out colours using TomTom's adapter and lead, then there's a power problem with either the adapter or the unit itself, or the screen's faulty.

Either way, I'd suggest packing it all in the box and returning it for a replacement.
    Hi
    @ignatiusdragon
    I was just checking/eliminating....
    After all one persons dull is another persons washed out

I use the Cosmic blue colour scheme
    Have my device dash mounted and tip it back a few degrees I find the slightly angled screen helps stop the mirror effect, and also improves the contrast

ATB YFM

I apologise that I am not discounting your suggestion but sending it back is a pain and I am desperate to try any alternative that avoids this for what seems such an insignificant problem.
  • ignatiusdragonignatiusdragon Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks YFM

No, definitely washed out. I cannot make it any better by changing the brightness.

I also use Cosmic blue and the unit is placed on the windscreen adjacent to the driver's door pillar and angled down. I also have a non-reflective screen protector.

It might help to add that I am on my fifth TomTom over a number of years, so I am not a novice.
    Hi
    I also use Cosmic blue and the unit is placed on the windscreen adjacent to the driver's door pillar and angled down. I also have a non-reflective screen protector.
    Mine is dash mounted and tipped back (the top of the device is away from me)
    If I hold the GO 6200 in front of me and tip the top towards me, the more I tilt it forward/towards me the more washed-out the screen becomes

ATB YFM

Odd. Mine definitely goes the other way - the more I tip the top back, the more washed out the display plus I get reflections, even with the non-reflective screen protector. My optimum clarity is with the screen angled at about 5 degrees with the top towards me.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,552 Superuser
    Someone here a while back mentioned this problem and got all the same suggestions. He finally exchanged it for another unit which was just fine. Consider the possibility you received a bad unit.
  • disgruntleddisgruntled Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just got a new Go Comfort and have the same problem as ignatiusdragon. I returned it for another new one and it's the same. Looking straight on at the display, the city or whatever it may be, outlines just disappear. I can't believe TomTom isn't aware of this. Should I keep returning them until I get one that works right?