TomTom Go 520 not recognized by the computer — TomTom Community

TomTom Go 520 not recognized by the computer

Running Windows 10 (latest version) and when I plug in my Tom Tom Go 520 directly into the computer using the original USB cord,it says 'device not recognised' and so I cannot use MyDrive Connect to access the Go 520. I have done all the stuff they say to do on the website like resetting etc etc etc. When I use Device Manager on the computer and look at the connections it does not show that a Tom Tom device is connected. It simply says Unknown device that is not recognised. It appears that the driver for the Tom Tom device is not on the computer. I have tried a separate computer(also running Windows 10) to the main one I use and the result is the same....the Tom Tom device is not recognised when it is plugged in. Any ideas?

Best Answer

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,189 Superusers
    Anything here?:
    http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21428/locale/en_US

Support:

:flag_au: Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST
  • Diamond JimDiamond Jim Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Unfortunately no. When I look at Device Manager then Network Adapters, there is NO Tom Tom shown there at all to even attempt to Uninstall. When I plug the Tom Tom Go 520 via USB into the computer, the computer makes the sound like something has been plugged in and conversely when I pull the USB plug out of the computer it makes the sound of something being removed. However the Tom Tom Go 520 is not recognised. Incidentally this very message comes up upon plugging in the USB plug directly into the computer i.e. 'Device not recognised'. Help!!!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,237 Superusers
    Hi
    @Diamond Jim
    Manually install Tomtom Drivers
    If Windows is unable to locate the driver or Device Manager shows an error coder 28
    Plug your Tomtom into the USB port and turn it on (device needs to be connected for the divers to show in Device Manager)
    Click Start
    Right-click My Computer (or Computer)
    Click Manage.
    In the Computer Management window, on the left, click Device Manager.
    Click on Network Adapter
    Click the + sign in front of the device category for which you wish to install the driver
    Note... If there is a yellow question mark the driver is definitely missing or corrupt
    Right click on TomTom

Note... On my system, it can be Tomtom, Tomtom #2, #3, #4 etc...I own several Tomtom devices
    Note... On my Win10 PC, its listed as Remote NDIS Compatible Device #2, #3, #4 etc...

Right-click the device, and select Update Driver. The Hardware Update Wizard opens.
    For using Windows Update, select No, not this time and click Next.
    Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), and click Next.
    In the window for search and installation options, select Search for the best driver in these locations, and select the Include this location in the search checkbox.
    Click Browse, and navigate to the folder that contains the driver files.

On my 32bit win10 PC MyDriveConnect installs the Tomtom Driver files here.....
    C:\Program Files\MyDrive Connect\Driver
    Folder... INF
    Folder... win32
    Folder... x64

On my 64bit win10 PC MyDriveConnect installs the Tomtom Driver files here.....
    C:\Program Files (x86) \MyDrive Connect\Driver
    Folder... INF
    Folder... win32
    Folder... x64

Click OK when the appropriate folder is selected.
    Back in the Hardware Update Wizard, click Next
    Windows will search for the driver and install it automatically
    When the installation is complete, click Finish

ATB YFM
    Okay did all you said and when I go to the Network Adapters, there is nothing listed that is remotely like what you have said e.g. Remote NDIS Compatible Device #2, #3, #4 etc...
    However in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers there is 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)'. When I try to update this with what you have said ' C:\Program Files (x86)\MyDrive Connect\Driver\x64 ' and follow the steps by pressing next it simply says that the 'Best Drivers for your device are already installed' and will not go any further. Help!
    Hi
    Also Try…..
    Win10 Troubleshoot
    With MyDrive Connect running, your device plugged in and turned on
    Right Click Widows10 Start button
    Click Control Panel
    Click Devices and Printers

Select the appropriate Icon
    (1)... Right Click on the Tomtom Icon and select “Troubleshoot”
    Or
    (2)...Right Click on the Remote NDIS Compatible Device Icon and select “Troubleshoot”

Follow on screen instructions

ATB YFM
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,430 Superuser
    Hi all

@Diamond Jim
    The good folder is:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MyDrive Connect\Drive\INF
    Usually an unknown device must be uninstalled.

There are several ways to install a driver.
    First watch this video about TomTom driver issues on Windows.
    Do not hesitate to activate the subtitles for more precision and put the video in pause to understand well.

[video]
    Otherwise, try the forced manual update. That's what I do for my PCs and TT devices. (W7/W8 and W10)
    At this point of the procedure choose the "Have Disk" button.
    c2cb883e-1660-4956-8ea2-1824f0274e65.png
    go to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MyDrive Connect\Driver\INF ==> tomtom.inf
    select the file "tomtom.inf" with the mouse pointer and Open = Microsoft certified TomTom drivers.
    You will have a warning message, it's normal, Windows isn't happy that you don't use the automatic update, validate OK.

Regards.
    Thanks for all your help people, but still no success. Firstly when I go to the Network Adapters, there is no Remote NDIS listed. I saw something on a different post that said go to the top of the Device Manager window and click View, then Show Hidden Devices, which I did and then under the list of Network Adapters there is Remote NDIS Compatible Device, BUT the small blue icon at the beginning is shaded while all others are unshaded. When I run through all the process of selecting to upgrade the Driver, Have Disk, selecting the .INF file and finally clicking okay, then selecting Tom Tom, it says that the job is done and updated. However even after restarting my computer, nothing is different. The situation is as before. Help!
  • NapolskiNapolski Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Diamond,

please just call support. They can get on to your machine and fix it for you directly.

With regards.
    -N
    Hi
    @Diamond Jim
    Tomtom Support

:flag_au: Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST

ATB YFM
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,430 Superuser
    A call to support remains the best solution.

Your device is recent? It's a GO 520 Wifi, not the old model that uses TomTom Home?
    If it's a GO 520 Wifi you do not need MyDrive Connect to access and manage your device.
    MDC only serves to provide an internet connection if the direct connection via Wifi is too slow or not stable. (See the last chapter for using MDC)
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22781/

It would be better to solve this driver problem with support.

Regards.
    Yes that's the reason....The wifi is not the best and I wanted to use a direct connection. We are soon to get the NBN (next month or two, so that should help the instability of the wifi connection. The device I have is a Tom Tom Go 520 WiFi. I will ring support again. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it!
    Hi
    @Diamond Jim
    Just in-case you are expecting MyDrive to behave like updating the earlier NAV4 Devices

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO 620 update using Wi-Fi...
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wifi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running
    Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted

Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required You can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

870d2bce-aa69-408c-b876-cf4aeb5e2fb5.png
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

ATB YFM
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online40

4ndyb
4ndyb
DG8OB-p
DG8OB-p
DougLap
DougLap
drenine