Spark Battery Life since latest update — TomTom Community

Spark Battery Life since latest update

JonnyHarrisJonnyHarris Posts: 1 [New Traveler]

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,787 Superusers
    There seem to be some edge cases of the watch having rapid battery drain, which is due to the BT connectivity I believe. You may want to call Customer Support to ask them about it, but I would try a factory reset first in case it is just an issue in your firmware install. To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the device to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided and when prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • jjc555555jjc555555 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I charge mine (Spark 3) every night so I did not notice until I ran my long run. Two weeks ago I ran for 3hrs 15m with HR and music on and had plenty of battery left for the upload. Yesterday I was running my long run and had the HR monitor off and it died at 2hrs 35m. It had a full charge from the beginning and nothing else turned on. The only difference was the update and turning off the HR monitor. Running in a marathon at the end of October and really not trusting the watch with this version of the firmware on it (1.6.26).
  • SweetcolSweetcol Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Since the update 1.6.26, my batery life have diminish. I lost around 2 hours of GPS/HR activity. Then I updated for version 1.7.53 but the battery life stayed the same =(.
  • DwijayaDwijaya Posts: 27 [Outstanding Explorer]
    My spark running on 1.7.60 version, the battery life with heart rate monitor on, night mode off, auto sync on yes it feels like drain enough.

Sunday full battery start running 1.23 hours (music Bluetooth)
    Monday swimming 20"
    Yesterday gym 40“
    Today indoor cycling 42" - less than quarter

Is it considerably normal battery life?
    Dwijaya wrote:
    My spark running on 1.7.60 version, the battery life with heart rate monitor on, night mode off, auto sync on yes it feels like drain enough.

Monday swimming 20"
    Yesterday gym 40“

It could be, particularly with music playing. Battery life is rated for around 5 hours for GPS/HR/Music, 9 for GPS/HR, 11 for GPS only, 2 weeks for watch only (that includes pause time as the sensors are still on - so if during a 2 hour activity you had 30 minutes of pause it was 2:30 of battery life, not just the 2 hours it was recording for). Those of course are estimates and best case scenario and are impacted by usage (using backlight, switching screens, etc.) and environmental conditions (overcast skies, tree cover, tall buildings, etc.). If you have night mode or the backlight on that is going to impact it greatly. I have found that they are pretty accurate estimates and my usage and testing has pretty well matched them. Bear in mind that the battery gauge is a rough estimate at best and I have gone many hours when it indicates that it was almost empty.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Dwijaya wrote:

Monday swimming 20"
    Yesterday gym 40“

It could be, particularly with music playing. Battery life is rated for around 5 hours for GPS/HR/Music, 9 for GPS/HR, 11 for GPS only, 2 weeks for watch only (that includes pause time as the sensors are still on - so if during a 2 hour activity you had 30 minutes of pause it was 2:30 of battery life, not just the 2 hours it was recording for). Those of course are estimates and best case scenario and are impacted by usage (using backlight, switching screens, etc.) and environmental conditions (overcast skies, tree cover, tall buildings, etc.). If you have night mode or the backlight on that is going to impact it greatly. I have found that they are pretty accurate estimates and my usage and testing has pretty well matched them. Bear in mind that the battery gauge is a rough estimate at best and I have gone many hours when it indicates that it was almost empty.
    Sorry for my mistake, the 1.5 hours running session is not directly to bluetooth headset but connected to mobile phone, since last finding practically no longer direct connected to tomtom again....i used to be not bring the mobile phone while running because that is my biggest concern with tomtom spark music it can directly played. but eversince the finding i've to carried my mobile while running
    i think the battery it's getting worst, it tooks only 2x24hours to drain the battery without using it

here's what i already tried :
    Backlight : off
    Sensor : on (just tried setting it OFF)
    MObile Sync : ON (tried manual before with several connect issued)
    Smartphone NOtif : ON (just OFF it)

any relevant solving alternative that i should try besides those sensor & notifications setting? anyone having this kind of issue or even worst?

i'm thinking cleaning the pin connector both on the watch and charger, anyone tried this before? is it relevant?

PS :
    sadly, i'm no longer connect bluetooth headset with tomtom since having this drain issue:sweat_smile:

thanks
  • tiwariramctiwariramc Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Hi,
    I have a Spark3 cardio.

Ever since I have upgraded to 1.7.64 about a month back, the battery life has become very poor. I barely get about 3-3.5 hours on a fully charged battery (earlier I was getting upto 6.5 hours) in cycling mode with HR sensor and GPS; whilst with all sensors off in just the watch mode I am getting barely two days (while earlier I was getting upto five days).

I read on this forum that a factory reset might help; have done that. However, it has made no difference.

I sent a mail to customer care and they sent me a mail treating me like a novice that I must keep the night mode off, sync mode off, etc. This was despite the fact that I had clearly mentioned in the mail that I keep all sensors off. I even sync my phone using data cable with the laptop (never use the BT mode with the phone because it takes forever).

Need advice on this issue please. Thanks in advance.
    tiwariramc wrote:
    Hi,
    I have a Spark3 cardio.

Ever since I have upgraded to 1.7.64 about a month back, the battery life has become very poor. I barely get about 3-3.5 hours on a fully charged battery (earlier I was getting upto 6.5 hours) in cycling mode with HR sensor and GPS; whilst with all sensors off in just the watch mode I am getting barely two days (while earlier I was getting upto five days).

I read on this forum that a factory reset might help; have done that. However, it has made no difference.

I sent a mail to customer care and they sent me a mail treating me like a novice that I must keep the night mode off, sync mode off, etc. This was despite the fact that I had clearly mentioned in the mail that I keep all sensors off. I even sync my phone using data cable with the laptop (never use the BT mode with the phone because it takes forever).

If you search the forums you will find this is a known issue for many users with the recent updates. They are reportedly working on a fix, but no timeline has been communicated. If you go to this post and ask the moderator to roll back your firmware version to 1.3.255 it should fix it.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/unable-to-pair-sync-after-update-to-firmware-v1-7-53-runner-and-spark-watch-series-1030088
  • tiwariramctiwariramc Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    tiwariramc wrote:
    Hi,
    I have a Spark3 cardio.

If you search the forums you will find this is a known issue for many users with the recent updates. They are reportedly working on a fix, but no timeline has been communicated. If you go to this post and ask the moderator to roll back your firmware version to 1.3.255 it should fix it.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/unable-to-pair-sync-after-update-to-firmware-v1-7-53-runner-and-spark-watch-series-1030088

Thank you so much.
    Grateful indeed
    mine is getting worst, now only stand for one night. Last night with full battery i only using for gym exercise for 45minutes with heart rate ON. Then OFF it, this morning the battery is less then quarter..unbelievable. Now i'm trying to factory reset.....what else should i do? how long this watch will perform what it should with normal battery life?

i'm back to 1.3.255 now, but the register device process took so long....is it safe to unplugged the watch from the PC at this moment?
    Dwijaya wrote:
    mine is getting worst, now only stand for one night. Last night with full battery i only using for gym exercise for 45minutes with heart rate ON. Then OFF it, this morning the battery is less then quarter..unbelievable. Now i'm trying to factory reset.....what else should i do? how long this watch will perform what it should with normal battery life?

i'm back to 1.3.255 now, but the register device process took so long....is it safe to unplugged the watch from the PC at this moment?

It seems a bit battery improvement with 1.3.255, faster sync, ease to connect, haven't try to pairing the bluetooth headset yet...hope it might work as well as before.
  • paddy8paddy8 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    My Runner 3 battery only ever lasted up to 2 days even with the heart rate monitor switched off when not running. The update reduced this to half a day or so. Remote fixes didn't work but when I sent it back to be fixed the battery now lasts at least a week with the heart rate monitor on all the time. This is great and after having had it for a year and a half this now makes for a watch that I use all the time rather than occasionally because I forgot to recharge every other day. I assume the battery wasn't right from the start and the update made it worse. If like the original poster your battery is only lasting a couple of days that you ask about sending it back to be fixed. Very prompt repair service too.
    NVmfs wrote:
    Hello all,

I am an owner of spark 3 and I am experiencing the same battery issue. Battery doesn't even last more than an hour. Could you please advise?

Many thanks,
    Nikos
    You could try reading all the replies to this post, which gives instructions on how to fix it: