TomTom Go 5000 not charging/holding charge — TomTom Community

TomTom Go 5000 not charging/holding charge

Hello,
Long time TomTom user with a serious problem.
My TomTom Go 5000 isn't holding the charge anymore.
I can't use it in the car with the supplied holder and I can no longer connect it to a computer to update/reset/restore since it turns off every time.

What are my options? I would prefer NOT to purchase a new device since the same kind of device will cost aroud € 300.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,598 Superuser
    @NeSilva

    Are you using a USB port in your vehicle?
    As the USB ports in your vehicle provides only 0.5Amps whereas your device should have 1.2Amps to run AND charge the battery. With a vehicle USB port the reduced power means that the device tries to save it's power requirements by dimming the screen, reducing power to the SIM thus dropping traffic info, and, as you have found out, it then sleeps.
    Try plugging the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger, does it then keep sleeping?
  • NeSilvaNeSilva Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Niall wrote:
    @NeSilva

    Are you using a USB port in your vehicle?
    As the USB ports in your vehicle provides only 0.5Amps whereas your device should have 1.2Amps to run AND charge the battery. With a vehicle USB port the reduced power means that the device tries to save it's power requirements by dimming the screen, reducing power to the SIM thus dropping traffic info, and, as you have found out, it then sleeps.
    Try plugging the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger, does it then keep sleeping?
    Hi Niall, thank you for the quick reply.
    That was my first step.
    I'm using the original charger with the original cable and original windshield holder.
    Everything was working fine until a few days ago.

    I've noticed it took longer and longer to turn on.
    Changed cables, tried new adapters, nothing worked.

    Took it out of the cradle and brought it home to update and, even plugged in in USB at my home computer, it doesn't get past the boot up animation screens.

    I hope it's the internal battery that's gone...
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,203 Superusers
    Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,598 Superuser
    @NeSilva

    If you feel that the battery is dead then a replacement is only $40 plus postage from here https://www.newpower99.com/TomTom_GO_5000_Battery_Replacement_Kit_p/tomtom go 5000.htm

    Which includes this video
    [video]
  • NeSilvaNeSilva Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    dhn wrote:
    Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.
    Tried that to no avail. It still shuts off while booting.
  • NeSilvaNeSilva Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Niall wrote:
    @NeSilva

    If you feel that the battery is dead then a replacement is only $40 plus postage from here https://www.newpower99.com/TomTom_GO_5000_Battery_Replacement_Kit_p/tomtom go 5000.htm

    Which includes this video
    [video]
    I'm considering this solution at the moment.
    Although it's not "official" replacement.

    Do you know anything a little closer to where I'm located?
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online14

bonsipogi
bonsipogi
DougLap
DougLap
Fazer-Thom
Fazer-Thom
Jürgen
Jürgen
+10 Guests