The way MySport "smooths" the pace data is bad — TomTom Community

The way MySport "smooths" the pace data is bad

BochaBocha Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
This is my first complaint and maybe the last.
I do not like what MySports does.
Since October 2016 have been making changes and is getting worse. Much data is lost from the activity. The way they "soften" the pace data is crap. So bad is that when the lap is at a rate of 3:30 but in the chart the pace is never better than 4:05, and things like that. They should put an option to see data without "improvements" and see the data stored in the csv in raw state, as we do in strava and as before Mysport. Also, the clock shows a wrong rhythm, running the km seeing that the speed is 4:30 and striving to go down, but when I mark the lap it tells me that the pace was 4:01. If they do not return to the previous state, then I will give this watch to my mother to control their walks since there does not change too much the pace .... and I hope it is useful. They are very focused on making MySport a social network and forget about those who use the product to do sport.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Bocha,

Thanks for your feedback!

I'll log this as an improvement request for the product team. I'd also recommend you to report this to Customer Service as they'll be able to gather more detailed feedback for the product team.

Cheers, Mikko
  • feelthhisfeelthhis Posts: 25 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I agree that they smooth the data way too much. I see myself always resorting to Strava when I want to visualize true data with its dips and peaks.
  • htennekhtennek Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The pace chart on my Spark 3 consistently shows a slower pace than my split pace or total distance pace. For most splits, the pace in the chart never reaches the average split pace. This is impossible. I assume the instantaneous pace, which shows in the chart, is hopelessly inaccurate, whereas split time is a straight calculation of distance and time. The smoothing is also dodgy. Today, I ran several intervals at 2'30"/km with walking breaks between them. My pace chart never rose above 3'35"/km, and for most intervals the chart showed pace of 4' or slower. Completely useless. Until TomTom fixes this problem, ignoring the pace chart seems to be the only alternative.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,563
    Superusers
    htennek wrote:
    The pace chart on my Spark 3 consistently shows a slower pace than my split pace or total distance pace. For most splits, the pace in the chart never reaches the average split pace. This is impossible. I assume the instantaneous pace, which shows in the chart, is hopelessly inaccurate, whereas split time is a straight calculation of distance and time. The smoothing is also dodgy. Today, I ran several intervals at 2'30"/km with walking breaks between them. My pace chart never rose above 3'35"/km, and for most intervals the chart showed pace of 4' or slower. Completely useless. Until TomTom fixes this problem, ignoring the pace chart seems to be the only alternative.
    TomTom will not give a timeline nor will they comment publicly on updates. Bear in mind they have left the market, pulled all their products from US stores and laid off the entire Sports Division, so it is likely that these issues will never be addressed.
  • feelthhisfeelthhis Posts: 25 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Bear in mind they have left the market, pulled all their products from US stores and laid off the entire Sports Division, so it is likely that these issues will never be addressed.
    Wow.

I went to google for more info and this is news from October 2017. I'll keep using my TomTom Runner and maybe even replace it after it dies because I like the simplicity and no-frills (will TomTom even keep manufacturing it?). Too bad that it won't be any more updates to the website and app.

Sad [old] news.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,563
    Superusers
    feelthhis wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Bear in mind they have left the market, pulled all their products from US stores and laid off the entire Sports Division, so it is likely that these issues will never be addressed.
    Wow.

I went to google for more info and this is news from October 2017. I'll keep using my TomTom Runner and maybe even replace it after it dies because I like the simplicity and no-frills (will TomTom even keep manufacturing it?). Too bad that it won't be any more updates to the website and app.

Sad [old]
    news.
    They stopped producing the Runner years ago and are not producing any new devices go forward.