TomTom to announce "End of life" ? - Page 2 — TomTom Community

TomTom to announce "End of life" ?

2»

Comments

• MRQ1MRQ1 Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-purchasing-57/clarification-of-the-meaning-of-lifetime-maps-993679

"*Lifetime – this is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more. The useful life of the smartphone app means the period of time that TomTom continues to support the app with updates."

...Not something that was brought to my attention at any point until yesterday. And what it means - as I've said before - is that TomTom can and will pull the rug from under you at any time.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,162 Superusers
    MRQ1 wrote:
    ...Yes, we've seen that. But that's one post from one moderator, and doesn't negate the other statement.

Besides which. Tom Tom need to make a formal announcement as to what the position is - not abdicate responsibility for that to some 'moderator' on a forum.

The moderators here ARE Tomtom employees and the comments made by them DO represent the official position of the company. A few other Tomtom employees do pop in here from time to time BUT unless there is a 'TomTom employee' shown under their user names then said users (the great majority here) are users, just like yourself.
  • MRQ1MRQ1 Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    ...I'm afraid I have no confidence in that; it's very easy for a rogue company to claim a junior employee was acting untra-vires. And the word of a random moderator remains of little or no value.

What is required is clarification from a member of the Senior management Team, and that should be released by way of a press statement/email to users. - Otherwise TomTom's reputation continues to 'bleed out' through the hole they shot in their foot yesterday.
  • zimou13zimou13 Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    Planned obsolescence to push customers into getting off their pocketbook and buy more hardware! Typical way to increase revenue.
  • zimou13zimou13 Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    there are a lot of announcements ;)
    see: ShowBox Lucky Patcher Kodi
  • a-customera-customer Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Lorna the only emails I ever get is to notify me once a year that there are updates available nothing else so has anything changed. I agree with other comments here tomtom don't have any customer support
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,562 Superuser
    OK TomTom you are finally sending out the emails but and a BIG BUT

@VikramK can you please confirm that in future these "EoL" emails will actually identify which device they refer to, otherwise they will look like spam :(

Too many users are getting them when they have a new device and are confused that it relates to their current device rather than previous device(s), as those that send them out are too sloppy to even identify which device it relates to :rage:
  • ChrisjanChrisjan Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Good bye TomTom.
    I only received my email message yesterday March 3. This is undoubtedly a money making move. I'm in South Africa and no special offer for me in the first place.
    I have a lot of free memory with hardly anything on my GO 720. They can stick their device where the sun doesn't shine. There are many excellent brands out there.
  • WhiteSapphireWhiteSapphire Posts: 39 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Chrisjan wrote: »
    Good bye TomTom.

[...] I have a lot of free memory with hardly anything on my GO 720. They can stick their device where the sun doesn't shine. There are many excellent brands out there.

This is true, however, look at comparable models from those other brands and I'm pretty sure you'll find plenty of EOL (retired) models there too. Technology marches ever onward, and just like your PC/laptop, mobile phone, smart TV and all the etceteras, Sat-Nav devices are outgrown by the advancements we all demand - there is only so far even a Sat-Nav can go, push it too far and like a rubber band, it will eventually reach its limit.
  • topoltopol Posts: 20 [Master Explorer]
    I had a tomtom '1' 3rd edition and was informed, by email that maps etc would no longer be available ONE MONTH AFTER support was discontinued, that's service for you!!
    After I updated the 'home' software on my laptop the device no longer displayed the current time, or obviously arrival time. I tried restoring it from the backup on my laptop and it no longer started up, or switched off. It went to the recycling skip. Like a fool I bought a new device, which has all sorts of issues, but I can't find out how to contact a customer support adviser. I can't return it to the retailer as it's now 'secondhand'. - ebay anybody?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    Hi
    @topol

What is Model is your Replacement device
    What are the problems with the device ???

ATB YFM
  • topoltopol Posts: 20 [Master Explorer]
    hello yamfazman, I now have a start 52, which does what a lot of other users are complaining about, not finding the most suitable route, a software issue which tomtom say is ok, see my post headed "sensible route finding"
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online48

Dewayne
Dewayne
DougLap
DougLap
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor
Jopi1956
Jopi1956
Oberyn Martell
Oberyn Martell