TomTom Runner 3 should be able to display seconds

fleetrunner219fleetrunner219 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi,

i just bought the Tomtom Runner 3 Cardio + Music.
It has all the features i looked for when researching and comparing wachtes.
Yet, what i didn't specificly look for is the display of seconds.

I assumed that this was a given feature for digital watches.
Especially such feature rich watches.
Especially one with such a big Display.

This clock can meassure my heartrate, play music and record my GPS location.
How can it not display seconds?

I think this should be added as soon as possible.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,625 Superusers
    It does not show seconds because this would cause a substantial battery drain. Many watches do not include seconds or allow the user to turn it off as it requires the screen to be refreshed every second, which will cause a much faster loss of battery life. The majority of users would prefer the extended battery life to a second display as few people need this level of precision when looking at a clock.

This is unlikely to change considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (and has now recalled all inventory from the US and is not even selling any devices in their largest market), we can safely assume at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes (and even that may be limited - it has been over six months since the last update broke connectivity for many users and introduced battery drain issues and that is still unresolved). I would not expect much more development and certainly not something major particularly on the watch side (they may continue to tweak the MySports site and app, but not the watches themselves).

I would take care with your buying decision and if you are able, you may want to consider returning the device and going with another brand from a company that is actively in the sports watch market and intends to continue producing and supporting devices.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • fleetrunner219fleetrunner219 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @tfarabaugh Thank you for the detailed answer. I did not know that TomTom left that market. I thought the Runner 3 was pretty new and it had great reviews.
    So i assumed they would stay in this market.

The battery drain argument makes perfect sense, thou i would not consider it an issue considering that the device constantly meassures my heart rate with an optical sensor - i'd assume that compared to that the updatiung of the screen would be relatively "cheap".

But i guess discussing this is useless since tomtom woun't make any updates anyway.

So again, thanks for the answer anbd have a nice day!
    @tfarabaugh Thank you for the detailed answer. I did not know that TomTom left that market. I thought the Runner 3 was pretty new and it had great reviews.
    So i assumed they would stay in this market.

The battery drain argument makes perfect sense, thou i would not consider it an issue considering that the device constantly meassures my heart rate with an optical sensor - i'd assume that compared to that the updatiung of the screen would be relatively "cheap".

But i guess discussing this is useless since tomtom woun't make any updates anyway.

So again, thanks for the answer anbd have a nice day!
    It does not measure you heart rate constantly, it takes a reading for one second every tem minutes, so the battery drain from the 24/7 HR is minimal.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • fleetrunner219fleetrunner219 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @tfarabaugh i can not mark it as a solution :-( Maybe my ranking is too low or i need to wait?
    @tfarabaugh i can not mark it as a solution :-( Maybe my ranking is too low or i need to wait?
    Don't worry about it, a moderator will take care of it.