Discrepancy in kCals burned

Kimaspire
Kimaspire Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi. I have a Runner 3 Cardio Music. I only wear the watch for my workouts but not in between. Why do the kCalories burned in the workout download always disagree with the number burned in the Daily Activity feed.

For example, this morning I did a short run which says 555kCals burned, but on the Morning Summary feed it says 890 were burned. The summaries are always considerably higher?

Can anybody explain the difference please?

Thank you

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,949
     Superuser
    The summary includes your calories from the 24/7 activity tracker, while the workout is only those burned during the workout. If you were alive and breathing, digesting, etc. then you were burning calories and that is what a 24/7 activity tracker is supposed to be tracking. It computes a BMR based on your gender, height, weight, etc. and takes this along with steps and sports activities to come up with calories burned. So if in the morning when you wake up it says 400 calories between midnight and whenever you woke up you burned 400 calories just being alive. This is exactly what it and all other activity trackers are designed to do. In my experience it is generally pretty accurate (or as accurate as BMR based calculations can be as they are based on averages).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Kimaspire
    Kimaspire Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Ok - thank you tfarabaugh. That makes sense.

(I had just assumed that it would only calculate calories burned if it was measuring a heart rate and as it sits in the cupboard for the day when I'm not out training I couldn't work out what the extra calories were.)