Pace when running - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Pace when running

Comments

• JdL_ELJdL_EL Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    @Simia,

Thanks for the information.
    I will also contact the service desk (again).

I mentioned above that the solution given (factory reset) seemed to work for me. But in the mean time I observed the same issue again with my watch as well... :(

Will await the response (and hopefully a firmware update...).
  • tomeqtomeq Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Another unhappy user of runner 3. Actual pace is completely wrong. In pic 1, my final split pace was 7:11, but during the run I was getting readings like 7:50, even 9:08 (!). I have to say this part of my run was in forest, so accuracy of gpd didnt help much, but readings are far far away from useful.
    To compare, first km of my run was in field and street, opened area without trees and huge buildings. Check actual pace - nice and steady. This scares me, becouse it could mean its not only FW problem.

I have to confirm what countzero says, my split pace was different in my watch and in app too. (Watch 7:25, app 7:11) And I have to say only useful and correct information I get from this watch is HR. Hope this will be fixed asap, this way tomtom runner 3 is nearly useless peace of gear.
  • AthloniAthloni Posts: 15 [Legendary Explorer]
    It's a 100% bug in running mode. A workaround is using freestyle mode.

So a message to TomTom: it's very simple to solve the problem. Just use the same algoritme as you do in freestyle mode.
  • tomeqtomeq Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Tried freestyle mode today. It is not workaround! Its even much worse then running mode. My split av. pace was 6:21, instant pace from 20 to 200 seconds above average nearly all time.

Guys from TOMTOM - have you ever tried your product in real conditions? Dont think so...
  • 010runner010runner Posts: 17 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I have this problem now for over 9 months. First i thought that the GPS signal could not pick up the watch. But also in the open the watch gives
    completely wrong data on current speed. This is the whole point of having a sport watch. I need to see the pace . I have a very bad habit of speeding when i can not see my own pace. The pace is totally off, i run at 5:00 i think ,the watch says 8:00 so i do not look anymore.
    This is however not the way it should be. I see TT is now handling the situation. I do not know if this malfunction applies to all TT Runner models.
    But from what i read in this thread the problem is the same. A higher pace on the watch, compared to the read out on TT Sports.

I used to have a Nike wristband that has no GPS. I guess it works on footsteps or so. The watch has to be calibrated on a 1 km road running normal pace. Once that is done, it will quickly inform current pace. Sometimes the simpler things have more value as they provide just that
    bit of information runners need. The current running pace..
    All the rest is nice after the work out.

Until the problem is fixed i will not use the TT anymore.
    Tom Tom does not seem to care a lot
    Perhaps we should take another route
    Not via this TT Forum but maybe we should
    inform distributors and report writers of the flaw in the watch.

I mean afterall consumers want to know , how fast they are actually running
    during the race.
    If TT does not have the equipment.
    Consumers should and sellers should be informed.
    An update, TT Support responded. Lots of questions, but the standard ones. This feeds the idea that TT really does not understand what is the problem. When we say, the problem is the watch when running it gives an inaccurate current pace. It is not really relevant to ask , which Windows , what PC , which version of the TT app we use. In the end the assistant advised that he will put the problem forward to the technical department.
    Surprising as one would think that they are aware already.
    I remain positive, if an Iphone can register and publish a current pace, than a TT Sportwatch should also be able.
  • olopholoph Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I hate to break it to you, but I have had tomtom for running since the first version of the tomtom runner, and the current pace function has always been an issue. I was not surprised when buying the spark 3 that the issue is still there and even worse.
    As a matter of fact the Spark 3 is so bad at displaying the current pace that i consider it to not be a function that should be available at all in the current state.
    Since tomtom have not fixed the issue in any of the running watches for the last 4 years i am not keeping my hopes up.
  • rendejorendejo Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    After trying my new Adventurer for a few runs, I noticed the current pace was nog accurate. Average pace is displayed correctly. At first I thought it might be because of me running in the woods, where the watch might have problems getting gps. Now reading these three (!) pages of the same problem with the current pace, it's shocking to me!

I had a Multisport Cardio, which functioned fine. And now the newer model is having problems. Strange thing. Also strange and disappointing to be honest, that Tomtom doesn't recognise the problem (see 010runner's comment, with Tomtom asking non relevant questions). They better fix this. It's a €300 watch!
  • kent davieskent davies Posts: 91 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    This problem isn't new so If TomTom was to fix this they already have done it.

This issue is not probably going to be fixed.
    TomTom doen't care anymore. They give up on Sportwatches.
    Everybody at TomTom knows It's a well known bug on all TomTom watches. They calculate it to smoothen out the peaks, but the calculation is far to aggressive.
  • kent davieskent davies Posts: 91 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Athloni wrote:
    TomTom doen't care anymore. They give up on Sportwatches.

I don't agree. Look at the releases they did this month. There are big software changes. Phone notifications are two years behind but the new features are great.

You are right regarding pace. Its algorithm tends to smoothen the data and is too aggressive. It's a well-known issue.
    You are right regarding pace. Its algorithm tends to smoothen the data and is too aggressive. It's a well-known issue.

And they now this for a LONGGGGGG time now ;-)
  • Mstrlucky74Mstrlucky74 Posts: 13 [Legendary Explorer]
    I just got my Spark 3 and this could be a deal killer. Might be returning it. Pace is very important to runners and this one metric should be VERY close to accurate. From what I've read Garmin has nailed pace both current and average.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,805
    Superusers
    If this is a vital feature for you and you are within your return period you may want to look at other devices that offer this option now. I would not count on it coming, you need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future. Go into it with the assumption that what is in the box is all there is and it will never be updated, to save setting yourself up with false expectations.

I will add that I have the new Garmin Vivoactive3 and the "instant pace" is no better than on the TomTom, it updates quicker but it is all over the place, constantly bouncing around (there is a trade-off between responsiveness and smoothness and they fall of the side of responsiveness where TT falls on the side of smoothness). I find it is as useless as the instant pace on the TT. I stick with average pace on both.
  • AntoineTAntoineT Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have checked with the last firmware. It seems that TomTom doesn't care about this problem.
    The current pace is a useless info...
    Can please someone at TomTom answer that they DO care ans are working on it??
    Hello Athloni i guess you better forget about it. Concentrate on finding the watch that will give the right information on current pace.
    T T is not going to fix it. I would however demand that they tell people before that people make the choice to buy. There are plenty of people that do not care about current pace etc. Just a nice picture of the course some data on total time total miles/km is fine. But i would guessed that T T should have been aware that those that order a watch with a heartrate measurement are mostly people that take running seriously. Thus the
    combination of a watch with such devices should have a clause saying we estimated your current pace but no garantees we are right. As with the heart rate monitor they say we estimated the heart rate but can not garantee we are right. If you do not do this for you are liable. Remember Volkswagen ? Sounds familiar does it not ?
    What also is not accurate i noticed is the data on display. When i look at the bottom and scroll lets say 1000 mtrs the pace is off. When i look
    at the left and click "tussentijden" i get the date on each 1000 mts , that pace is correct. Does anyone have the same issue ?
  • BethovenBethoven Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    BentP wrote:
    My TomTom Runner reports what seems to be accurate pace. However, my new Spark 3 is way off. This has been a very disappointing upgrade, and I find it hard to believe that TomTom can't get it right when all competitors can.

This is my experience exactly. My Runner 1 was good for instant pace, not exact obviously but sufficient for this marathoner. This new Spark I bought is terrible. Even on the TomTom Sport website over the first km it says I'm running much slower than my first 1 km split time (fastest pace was a brief spike of 4:34 min/km, with the rest slower than that, but the 1 km split was somehow run in 4:23!?). Spark is a huge step backwards. Really, really disappointed. Wish my old Runner 1 hadn't started to freeze. Heart rate monitor is not as accurate as Runner 1 also - ran a hilly 1/2 marathon 2 weeks ago and gave it absolutely everything, running at a faster pace than training and finishing 1:42:34, beating my PB by 6mins. Spark says I ran 63% in the 'Easy' zone. Yeah right.
  • DrakakurDrakakur Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This topic is disheartening to read. I did a 10 km race yesterday, and after 5 km the current pace indicated I gained one additional minute per kilometer. That is of course hard to digest when you are doing a race.

The interesting part is when I looked at the data on the TomTom website. For example: the 1 kilometer between the 7 and 8 km marks, the graph indicates that I always had a current pace above 6:00 per km. However, the split time indicates for the same kilometer that my average pace was 5:50...

Now... I assume that the current pace has just been plain wrong, but what about the average pace as mentioned in splits? Is that one reliable?

Shame it hasn't been fixed yet, might try a factory reset to see whether that changes anything...
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,805
    Superusers
    Drakakur wrote:
    This topic is disheartening to read. I did a 10 km race yesterday, and after 5 km the current pace indicated I gained one additional minute per kilometer. That is of course hard to digest when you are doing a race.

The interesting part is when I looked at the data on the TomTom website. For example: the 1 kilometer between the 7 and 8 km marks, the graph indicates that I always had a current pace above 6:00 per km. However, the split time indicates for the same kilometer that my average pace was 5:50...

Now... I assume that the current pace has just been plain wrong, but what about the average pace as mentioned in splits? Is that one reliable?

Shame it hasn't been fixed yet, might try a factory reset to see whether that changes anything...
    I would not personally rely on any pace data given other than overall average pace, which is hard to mess up (time/distance). Any of the "real time" paces are just too unreliable to use.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Drakakur wrote:

I would not personally rely on any pace data given other than overall average pace, which is hard to mess up (time/distance). Any of the "real time" paces are just too unreliable to use.

Thanks, I hear what you are saying. I just checked and the split times are actually correct. Just a simple time/distance for each kilometer. That's probably why average pace would be correct as well.. it's just a time/distance that gets updated every once in a while..? Will be using that for my next run as I usually aim for a constant speed anyway.
  • WobulatorWobulator Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    For what it's worth, I have the exact same problem. Pushes me to run faster because I think I'm falling behind... But it's very frustrating
    Wobulator wrote:
    For what it's worth, I have the exact same problem. Pushes me to run faster because I think I'm falling behind... But it's very frustrating

I guess if it makes you run faster, it has at least some positive effect right. I feel completely demotivated when it happens and I then I am starting to doubt when I am running in the first place... :)