Another problem with my Runner 2... "Please Wait" — TomTom Community

Another problem with my Runner 2... "Please Wait"

Sam131Sam131 Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
So I've had a go at recording 4 activities with my new Runner 2 watch. First one was a row that worked fine. The second was an identical row which did not work at at all, the third was a run that worked fine, and the fourth, this morning, was a run, which failed completely.

Me: "I want to do some exercise"
TomTom: "Please Wait"

... The watch is now actively trying to stop me from exercising!

I went through to "Run" and then it flashed up with "Please Wait" and never moved off from that screen.

In the end I gave up, and started my run anyway.

I checked the watch throughout, and the whole time it just said, "Please Wait".

So there you have it. My experience of the Runner 2 watch so far is that it is 50% reliable, and actively tries to discourage you from doing exercise!

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,791 Superusers
    There are icons at the top of the screen which indicate what sensors it is waiting for, if they are flashing it means they are not ready. The satellite flashing means it cannot find GPS signal, the heart flashing means it cannot find HR. For the row were you using Gym mode (if indoor) or Freestyle (if outdoor) and were you using a chest strap (the internal HR will not be accurate for rowing because of the constant wrist and forearm tension - you should use a strap)? If so, did you have it set for External under Sensors>Heart? If you were in Freestyle when was the last time you synced to update the QuickGPS file? This is also true for running, without an update GPS file it will take longer to find signal. Are you updating the QuickGPS file a minimum of every three days by syncing the watch? This caches the expected satellite locations and makes for quicker attainment. Also do not try to get signal while moving, you are just making it harder on the watch. Best to just sit still with the button pointing skyward (or take it off and place it on a flat surface) until it finds the GPS. Make sure the watch is in an unobstructed area without large buildings, tree cover or reflective surfaces as this will cause a lot of interference. It will also take longer the first time you are in a new location but will speed up thereafter as it caches the location data for that spot. Once you get the Go it is best to give it another minute or two as Go is just the minimum satellites locked on. The longer you wait the more it will grab and the better your signal will be.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Sam131Sam131 Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi there. Thanks for the reply. The GPS symbol was flashing, which suggests that was part of the problem.

It was a beautiful, cloudless morning in the park and I updated the watch when I first got it 10 days ago.

I started it looking as I walked up to where I start running, so about 5 minutes prior, then I waited and faffed for another 5 minutes, and it never acquired location details, and then, as I ran, and afterwards on the walk back home, it never found a signal.

Pretty incredible!

(On the rowing front, I've brought it up before but the stock response ( - that rowing involves undue flex of the wrist which means the watch fails to get good readings) does not fit the facts - that, for one 30 minute spell of rowing, it managed to get 30 minutes of constantly correct data, and then, less than 24 hours later, it failed for an entire 30 minute period to get a single correct reading, despite me occasionally re-positioning the watch in an effort to assist it.)
    The GPS data is only good for 3 days which explains why it had trouble locking on (plus the walking didn't help). If you update it just before you use it, it should find it faster. On the rowing front, was it an HR or a satellite issue that prevented it from starting? You never specified if it was indoor or outdoor rowing. With the HR, I think the first time may just have been luck. I have never had great luck with any wrist based sensor with rowing so I always use a chest strap.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Sam131Sam131 Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi there. It did start, it just consistently recorded my heart rate as about 40-50 bpm for the entire 30 minute session.

I used the GYM profile, as I understood that GPS wouldn't then be an issue.

As I say, it seems very odd that it can consistently work flawlessly for 30 minutes and then consistently fail to work for 30 minutes.

Additionally, I can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect of syncing and updating via a PC twice a week.

I've ordered a cheap Garmin which I'm going to test, and if that is any better, I'm going to return the TomTom as faulty, or not fit for purpose.
    The QuickGPS is updated when you sync by phone, not only when you do it by computer. Honestly, considering TT has left the wearables industry and I doubt we will see any updating go forward, you may be better off going with another brand.