Forum Layout (Topic Dates)

John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 583 [Exalted Navigator]
edited January 31 in Forum feedback
I notice that, when you list topics (whether in a specific Forum or in the List of Recent Topics), you identify the Date/time of the latest reply - but you DON'T date/time the initial Topic!

Hence, if I don't recognise the Topic Title, I have no way of telling (other than fully opening the Topic) whether they has been a recent reply to a new Topic or simply a new reply to a 5-year Topic!

Just my opinion, but I find that confusing!!

Regards,

John-Jay

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,065 Superusers
    If the topic itself is new, the topic title will be in black. Old topics have their titles in grey.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 583 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi, @dhn ,

Thanks for the response!

However, I haven't managed to find any Topics that have different Colour/Shade for the Topic title! They ALL seem to be a very dark shade of Slate Grey!!

Regards,

John-Jay

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,474 Superuser
    @John-Jay

If there is a topic with one or more comments then there should be number in green that you have not read. But I agree with you the for 'new' topics that do not have any comments distinguishing between the ones that you have previously read and unread is only by a shade of gray (which I suspect does not conform with the recognised web content accessibility standard of WCAG AA.)
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button :thumb_up:
    If someone answered your question? Answer yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,146 Superuser
    Hi All,

@John-Jay If I consult the forum without being connected to my account, the title of the subjects is always dark gray.
    If I am logged into my account with a username and password:
    - The title is dark gray for subjects that I have never opened.
    - The title becomes light gray after my consultation.

I agree with the dating of topics and messages that is not visible enough. But also not precise enough. I would prefer to have the information in the form of date / time rather than in the form of duration.

For new topics that have not yet been answered, it should be marked more visibly, a big "NEW" next to the title for example.

Overall, I find that the chosen color codes are too clear, result, the new forum lacks readability and contrast.

Regards.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 583 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi, @Niall & @LAURE123

Thanks for your responses!

Tbh, I find this particular Forum Layout to be not particularly "User-Friendly" (which is NOT helped by the fact that TomTom have NOT bothered to update their section on "How to use this Forum" in many years!!}!

Except for the occasions when this Forum arbitrarily logs me off, I'm always perusing it in Logged-In mode!

2e442ff1-8260-458f-b7ef-852d83c0ca09.jpg

As examples (referring to my Scrap-View attached, taken whilst logged in):-
    • I have read all of the Responses to my own post, but I have NOT read the Post (nor the Responses) from the other 2 - yet the Title is still Deep-Slate Grey & the "Number of Responses" is shown as Grey for all of them!
    • I'm assuming the fact that my Nickname is in Black, whereas the others are in Deep-Orange, is simply because it is my own. However, I've seen others that have been in green - why? I had originally thought that this was because it was an "Answered" Question - until I saw another Post, which had been marked as "Answered", but the Poster's nick was still in Deep Orange!
    • Don't understand the significance of the differing colours of the Marker-Roundel, in front of Poster's Nick, as this seems to be totally random - hence confusing.
    • Although these are all obviously recently responded to, my original point was that it would be helpful if I could tell if the original Post was recent & not something that had been resurrected from 5 years ago!!

Regards,

John-Jay

@John-Jay For me, it's different, I see that your nickname is dark blue and the number of new messages in light green.

Maybe you have an add-on advertising blocker or a private browser that changes your display compared to me?
    761dd0f6-5041-40c4-b860-bd8e93cfc105.png

For your initial question, the creation date of a topic in the list: this is visible only by opening the topic. It should be added in the current presentation.
    It remains to be seen if TomTom retains your request and makes the change.
    I just remembered that for the number of new comments, in the forum summary or in the "Recently Active Topics" list, an option must be enabled in the forum profile settings.

My profile / Edit profile / Settings / Display number of new comments = Yes / Save changes

Sorry.