Will TomTom sponsor me at the Olympics? — TomTom Community

Will TomTom sponsor me at the Olympics?

Sam131Sam131 Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
I've used my new TomTom Runner 2 twice now, for the same workout, with less than 24hrs between them.

The first time my heart rate was pretty high (it was quite a tough 8km row) but pretty much what I'd expect.

The second time my heart rate was lower than my resting heart rate! Whoop whoop! I'm going to the Olympics!

So, how much sponsorship is my incredible rowing prowess worth to TomTom? Or to put it another way, how much do they rate their products and their accuracy?

Heart Rate Data from Workout 1:-

83af1253-23b1-4505-b53f-1cee81a63f2c.jpg

Workout 1 Data:-

9d27e539-c89a-402d-98c2-57004533e87a.jpg

Heart Rate Data from Workout 2:-

74e5f06b-f99a-4181-b9c6-32ae31d13a26.jpg

Workout 2 Data:-

b7379f18-268b-4216-8dc5-d58915ff3e6a.jpg

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,793 Superusers
    Were you wearing the watch and taking the reading via the built in sensor? In this case, this is the cause. . Low HR is often seen in rowing, cycling and weight lifting. Any time you do an activity that squeezes or tenses the forearms (like the pull stroke in rowing, bearing down on your handlebars in cycling, or virtually any weight lifting move) you are squeezing the blood vessels the watch is reading, so it sees this as a reduced pulse. It is not that the watch is having a problem reading your pulse; it is that your pulse at the wrist has actually dropped because you are temporarily cutting off blood flow to the vessels it is reading. I have experienced this with every optical HR I have used, including a Mio and a Scosche unit. For these sorts of activities you are better off using a chest strap synced to the watch if getting a more exact reading is important to you.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Sam131Sam131 Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    Thanks, @tfarabaugh. You seem to be a one-person answering machine!

What I don't yet understand, and which runs contrary to your suggested answer, is that for one sustained period of over 30 minutes doing indoor rowing, the watch consistently gave what appear to be accurate readings, and then, less than 24 hrs later, over another sustained period of over 30 minutes doing exactly the same activity, it gave consistently inaccurate readings.

During that row, I also grabbed the watch a number of times and moved it on my wrist to ensure that it wasn't pinching, or in an position where reading was difficult.

My reading has suggested, like you have mentioned, that I might be better off with a chest strap, and so I've ordered a Wahoo Tickr X.

It seems likely that if that works where the TomTom Runner 2 watch is falling down, the TomTom will become completely redundant, and the combination of the chest strap, and free android apps on my phone will provide a better, more comprehensive set of services than the TomTom watch does.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,793 Superusers
    I am not sure the Tickr X is compatible with the watch but you can give it a try. Many of the straps with more advanced features are not. Low readings are not a problem unique to TT, it is an issue with all wrist based HR sensors. I have to use a chest strap with my Garmin when rowing or weightlifting as well. As to TT being redundant, the watch was really designed for running, so for other sports (like rowing, weightlifting, etc.) it is not necessarily the ideal tool. Considering TT have left the wearables market and are no longer producing devices, I think they came to this realization already.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.