45 Minutes to acquire GPS signal on TomTom Via?

TomTom website says if your GPS has been off for a while or you have changed locations (like flying all over the country as I do), that it can take up to 45 minutes to acquire signal. It doesn't always take that long but I have spent a lot of time in the Hertz rental lot waiting for a signal. Very annoying.

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,522 Superuser
    @RUKiddingMe

Remember after each flight to do a soft reset, you will loose nothing, it is like rebooting your computer and reloads all the new files from an update.

A soft reset :- with your device charged for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply; press and hold your on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound (or the TomTom hands symbol appears) then release the on/off button. Make sure you are outside and have a clear view of the sky (satellites)
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • CatNipCatNip Posts: 479 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I'm not convinced all these soft resets (actually cold starts?) are really necessary. If there is an actual fault OK, but this "45 minutes" or so under these circumstances is surely just the way things work.

If the TomTom is moved a significant distance while off, or not moved but left turned off for a long while, it will lose either current position and UTC time as well as valid satellite positioning info. When turned on it then needs to work out where it is and needs valid UTC to do that. I assume, in order to get started it needs UTC and to get that quickly it needs an up to date QuickGPSfix and some idea of where it is.

Starting from scratch this must take some time, whereas with time and satellite position information that is still relatively 'fresh' and valid it can do this quickly. So not really a fault and I am not sure the cold start 'reset' can be expected to help much.