Carminat Live Setup — TomTom Community

Carminat Live Setup

BalooferBaloofer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Built in car navigation
Hi,

Looking for advice on how to set up Live services on a Carminat Live device in a Renault Laguna.

The car was originally UK registered but was imported into Ireland and now the Live services aren’t accessible.

I have purchased a Live subscription but the Carminat seems to be unable to access the Live server or receive traffic messages. There is an option to manually set the TMC frequency but I don’t know what the settings are for Ireland.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
    TMC is not the Live Services. Live works through an active SIM card inside the device.

I'm a bit surprised it doesn't work in Ireland as the mapping is generally identified as United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland.

One possible explanation might be the age of the unit - how old is the car? I think the current device is not a Carminat. It is said that if a SIM card goes unused (without a subscription to Live Services) for three years, the SIM is automatically disabled.
  • BalooferBaloofer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi,

Thanks for that.

Neither of the services work, I can’t access Live services and also can’t receive traffic information.

While the UK and ROI are bundled from a mapping perspective being different countries the TMC frequency is probably different and it is quite possible that there could be a roaming issue with the intgernal SIM if it was originally issued for a different jurisdiction. Interesting point about the SIM being deactivated if it is unused for a period of time which could certainly be the issue in my case.

If I could get the traffic information working that is actually what I am interested in and hopefully that should just be a case of telling the unit what the TMC frequency is.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,957
    Superuser
    @Baloofer

Contact Customer Service to get the current status of the SIM, and also to advise on the appropriate frequency

:flag_ie: Ireland
    1890 812 008
    Monday-Friday: 09:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
    TMC is NOT the HD Traffic service. It is transmitted (free) over FM radio. It is also woefully poor compared with the HD Traffic provided under the Live Services. For TMC, you would get just as good information by having your radio tuned permanently to a radio channel which includes regular traffic reports (in UK for example BBC Radio 5 Live). The only value of TMC on your Carminat is the ability to re-route. But the service is so inaccurate you would be well advised to ignore it!!