GO 5000 shuts down when connecting to PC — TomTom Community

GO 5000 shuts down when connecting to PC

Edit - Unit is a Go 5100 and not Go 5000
Just trying to update to the latest maps before an overseas trip and have hit problems.
Go 5100 starts up to splash screen when connected to PC. It gets to the point of Windows chime for installing driver and then the screen goes back but the loading bar stays for a few seconds. Then whole system then shuts down and windows chimes that the device is disconnected.
Had my Go 5000 for a while and it has been working fantastically. Been updated a few times without problems.
Just updated my Go 500 without any problems - same cable, same PC.
Unit has the same issue when connected to USB power directly, but will start if it is in the cradle and is connected to a tomtom adapter in the car. Has the same issue if connected to any other power source in the cradle.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,154 Superusers
    To be clear...........you are trying to connect the 5100 to the computer using the cable that came with the device AND by connecting to the device directly, not using the mount connection??
  • imperviousimpervious Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Yes

With the supplied Tomtom cable directly to the PC. Same cable I used to update my Go500 and worked.
    Tried another cable (the cable supplied with the Go500) and had the same issue.
    Tried all methods to be honest.
    Will only start if connected to the tomtom in car power adapter, nothing else.

Battery appears dead in the unit, but this doesn't seem to make a difference as connected to the cable and power usually.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,154 Superusers
    Well, maybe support has some idea:

:flag_au: Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST

It could indeed be a sign of a failing battery
    FIXED!
    Tomtom support were useless. 2 phone calls resulted in being sent instructions to restore (which doesn't work if you cant connect to a PC) and then being told that the USB Micro B port was faulty and I needed to buy a new Tomtom (offered a small discount off Rrp).

As my unit is out of warranty I stripped it down and pulled out the motherboard. I connected this to the PC via the same USB cable and the unit started and was recognised by the PC. Updated without any issues. I have now reassembled and it seems to be fine (though it is back to only working when in the cradle in the car).

I suspect this is a power issue. The battery is dead and perhaps the PC doesn't supply enough power for it to start up. Disconnecting the motherboard reduced power consumption (no screen) so there was enough juice for it to start up.
    Now I need to source a new battery...... any suggestions for buying one in Australia ?
    Thanks for the response.
    Unfortunately they don't sell to the public.
    Local Batteryworld doesn't stock them anymore either (they have the one for the Go500, but not the Go 5100).