Lenovo Yoga 920, Windows 10, and MyDrive Connect

vincedovyvincedovy Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
edited January 24 in MyDrive Connect
I have a TomTom Via and have been updating from a Dell running Windows 7 with no problem. I recently purchased a Lenovo Yoga 920 with Windows 10 and am having issues updating my TomTom Via.
  1. MyDriveConnect keeps dropping the connection to the server. The Lenovo uses wifi, not sure if there is a way to do a direct connection to the router. Signal strength is 100% (my laptop is right next to the router.) I had a similar problem with the Dell occasionally on wifi.
  2. MyDriveConnect requires a connection to the server even after it has downloaded the update and is updating the device. This seems like bad design.
  3. MyDriveConnect does not seem to recognize the TomTom when plugged into the USB-A port. I used an adapter and it did get recognized when plugged into the USB-C port, though it kept dropping the connection to the device.
  4. MyDriveConnect does not handle High DPI monitors. There is a separate thread on this that is at least a year old. The application is ridiculously small on my screen. I understand that this is an easy fix, so don't understand why this is an on-going issue.
After some weeping and gnashing of teeth, I did get the latest updates onto my TomTom Via. I hope TomTom has fixed these issues by the next time I need an update.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,340 Superusers
    Hi
    Welcome to the site
    Re "Download/installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"
    The Computer Manufacturers appear to be setting "USB Selective Suspend" to ON as default
    Especially Laptops, maybe to improve the look of the battery life

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)
    GUID Alias: SCHEME_BALANCED
    Subgroup GUID: 2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3 (USB settings)
    Power Setting GUID: 48e6b7a6-50f5-4782-a5d4-53bb8f07e226 (USB selective suspend setting)
    Possible Setting Index: 000
    Possible Setting Friendly Name: Disabled
    Possible Setting Index: 001
    Possible Setting Friendly Name: Enabled
    Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000
    Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000001

I always do updates with the AC power connected. I had earlier gone to all the USB devices under Device Manager and turned off Power Management.

There was a short update available this morning (91 bytes.) First attempt still failed. The TomTom is powered and has the computer symbol on, but the MyDrive Connect app reports it initially as connected, then disconnects during update. The TomTom reports "Oops. Something went wrong." Second attempt succeeded, as reported by TomTom, however MyDrive Connect reported the device as disconnected when the update completed. Plugging and unplugging the cable got MyDrive Connect to report that device was up to date.

I don't think it is the power settings. The TomTom powers down when I disconnect the cable, however in the update scenario, it does not power down when it "disconnects".
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,340 Superusers
    Hi
    @vincedovy
    Theres a couple more posts here....

Random Disconnects on Surface Pro 3 & 4
    Do you have or have access to a 'Surface Dock', if so plug your device into a USB port on that. Others have found that to work

On the Win10 tablets, Microsoft has hidden the "USB Selective Suspend" menu
    You will need to edit the Registry for the USB Selective Suspend menu to show

See….. https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/update-fail-tomtom-rider-410-on-a-microsoft-surface-pro-3-windows-10-1025704?postid=1177921

See..... https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/go-500-random-disconnections-on-surface-3-pro-968783

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

So I turned off Connected Standby as suggested in both posts. (Edit the registry to set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Power > CsEnabled to 0) and restarted the computer.

After restarting I connected the TomTom Via. Unfortunately there is no update that I can attempt to apply, but MyDrive Connect has not reported a dropped connection yet after 30 minutes. When I get the next update I'll try again.