TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Blasted Navigation System

Fed up trying for years to find an answer to this problem I have given up trying about three times since I found out the D!!!! thing will not go past Junction 51, it says Holby Grange on the right of the screen and 8.2 miles at the bottom but it never reaches Scotch Corner, on the A1M It just goes back to base, in other words where I live, and starts all over again, the trouble is I did not find out until I had not used in in over a year from when I bought it so did not know it had a problem, I got it of one of the shopping channels, wish i had never bothered. ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS ANY IDEAS Apart from chucking it in the bin, I can not at the moment afford to buy a new one, catching it abandoning its route has taken me all this time, I have only just caught it doing it for the first time in all these years, blink and you have missed it. but the red road with its little white dots and its blue arrow are still there when it did it, so the road did not run out, it may get to Scotland sometime, the programme it was set for was to go to FK13 clackmannanshire.

Comments

• CatNipCatNip Posts: 479 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Think we need a bit more context.

Model? What are you trying to do, navigate to a destination or run a route on your SatNav? Location, route? Have you kept it updated with maps and QuickGPSfix?
  • Mrs MMrs M Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I originally set off to go to Laid in Sutherland where my cousin lived, in 2013 but when we got to Scotch Corner the sat nav had switched itself off, and would not find a signal again, it was a good job my daughter had a phone that had a navigation system, so she switched to that but she was the driver, so I had to sit and hold it. When we got to Stirling my brother in law tried to get it going again, but failed, we did get to my cousins but no thanks to the tomtom, when we got home I tried to update it but it still had the same problem, it reverted back to its home address, I could only try it using the demo route as we did not go back to Scotland for a couple of years for other reasons, i tried again but the problem was still there, so I abandoned it as not you can not use a phone as a sat nav (law) I thought I would have another go, I have again updated the satnav but the prolem persists, this time i sat and watched it until the point it blipped and switched to its home address. so there you have the story Any Ideas. Thank You P.S. my cousin died on 14th January 2018 so I may or may not need it to go to Sutherland anyway, I may just go and look at her burial site.
  • Mrs MMrs M Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I tried to put everything into the story but I forgot the location Junction 51 on the A1M and as I said I thought I would try to get it going because of the law change of not being able to use a phone as a sat nav, it is a Start 20 the Serial number starts with AP but that does not make it work

It would appear I sent the last part of the story and I did not know, I was trying to add something to it but it would not let me as I had not realising i had sent it, and If you are sat there thinking this woman is and idiot, wait until you get to 75 years old and try the new technology, We are all great in hindsight. We have the technology but do not always know how it works.

Thank You
  • CatNipCatNip Posts: 479 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    It should not just switch off by itself. Do you mean it does actually power off, or just switch to another mode?

If the former are you powering the device in the car using the originally supplied TomTom USB power adaptor? A phone charger etc. may not be able to supply enough power to keep the batteries charged on a long journey.

If the latter then it may have a fault. The first thing to try is to reset your TomTom. Turn off and charge up until fully charged. Then press and hold in the power button until it starts up and you hear the TomTom drumming sound. If this does not correct things then you will need to contact TomTom using the link 'Support /Contact us' at the bottom of this page. Unless somebody else has any bright ideas.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck!