GO Mobile App just say "Loading app" — TomTom Community

GO Mobile App just say "Loading app"

Peter bjerrumPeter bjerrum Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
I just got a new mobile a Samsung Galaxy 8S. And all my apps is now on my new phone. But TomTom Go mobil is never start up. It just Say "Loading app. ??

Comments

• AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Peter bjerrum,

You need to give more details on how you installed the app.

On the phone or SD card

If the SD card What is it's rating?

Did give it all the permissions needed?

Did you download the app over your home WiFi or over data?

Should always do it over WIFI

Doing it from a free hotspots not Good to do.

When did it fail.

When you start the app or when you were downloading the map you needed.

All I can say the more details anyone give the better.

Plus did you search this problem before posting?

There are a number of posts regarding this issue.
  • Peter bjerrumPeter bjerrum Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Its not so difficult, I go to Google shop. Download TOMTOM Go. This app will not work on SD card, so the app is on my phone. But somebody must be able to tell me if this app should work with SAMSUNG Galaxy 8S?
  • Peter bjerrumPeter bjerrum Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have Samsung Galaxy 8S, Android -version 7,0. I download TOMTOM GO from Play Store. Witch I paid for 12/4/2016. The app start this screen up, and this is it.
    What to do?
    3bea76b3-1ad8-469e-ae15-c823735454a9.png
    Had you taken the time to search this forum you will find help.

Please read below.

I quote thanks to Vikram:

"There is a technical issue which is under investigation where the GO MOBILE app gets stuck/freezes on the loading screen.

I would suggest you try few steps mentioned below:

# Uninstall the app, log out of the Playstore.
    # Delete Android / data / com.tomtom.gplay.navapp and Android / OBB / com.tomtom.gplay.navapp.
    # Once done please close all the apps which are running in the background and reboot the phone.
    # Open the Playstore login and reinstall. Reopen the TomTom app and test

Should this not resolve the issue then please report it to the customer service so they can keep a track and collect similar reports which should speed up the investigation process."

Regards
    Vikram
  • mausammausam Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had exact same issue this morning when I tried to load the app for my commute to work. The last time I used it was on Friday evening 12th Jan. This morning it restarted about 5 times and wouldn't load anymore. It would then show red error message saying unknown error and I should check forums, etc.! I then used Waze for the commute as traffic was bad and I had to use a navigation app for finding a quick route. Funnily enough Waze took me to the end of a closed road! After reaching work I tried all the 4 steps as mentioned above but it did not work. To make it work, the additional steps I did was to clear cache of Play Store and delete TomTom MyDrive app (which took longer time then expected) and restarted phone again.
    I loaded the TomTom Go app and this time it gave me all those introduction screen and I had to download UK/Ireland map again and also restore my purchases as I have a year's subscription.

The issue occurred on Samsung Galaxy S8 running Android Nougat 7.0 with build number (NRD90M.G950FXXU1AQL5). TomTom app version was 1.17.1 release/1.17 (2121) and UK/Ireland map version was 1000.8631.
  • JMD.PJJMD.PJ Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I am facing same issue // uninstall / cleared cache / reboot / install nothing working..

Mobile : Samsung S7

any suggestion.

Thanks
  • attaxiaattaxia Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    Facing the same issue on brand new Nokia 2
  • ghaleghale Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Hello people,
    I'm in trouble too with current version of TomTom Go and I can't solve issue by myself.

After I've downloaded and installed TomTom Go from Google Play, after I've downloaded Italy map, after I've connected to my account and configured every option in TomTom, I can use application without issues.
    I can close it, reopen it. Reboot device, and application works flawlessy.

But...

After few days, without notice, when I go to reopen application, it's locked on "Loading App" forever.
    I can kill it, reboot phone, clear cache.
    Nothing works.
    Only deinstalling it and reinstall from Google Play.

I've got a Mi A1 device.

My wife, some device, some configuration, uses app EVERY DAY without an issue.

Here, there's a dump of navkit_tombstones folder content.
    Here, you'll find ttndata folder content.

Application is installed on Internal Memory, I've no SD external microsd.

Someone can help me, please?
    Regards,
    ghale
  • Phillips139Phillips139 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Same problem on the S9+. Loading on internal memory. Accept permissions then hangs. Uninstalled, rebooted, cleared cache logged out of Play etc. Nothing working so far.
  • TundraAPTundraAP Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Asprin624 wrote:
    Had you taken the time to search this forum you will find help.

Please read below.

I quote thanks to Vikram:

"There is a technical issue which is under investigation where the GO MOBILE app gets stuck/freezes on the loading screen.

I would suggest you try few steps mentioned below:

# Uninstall the app, log out of the Playstore.
    # Delete Android / data / com.tomtom.gplay.navapp and Android / OBB / com.tomtom.gplay.navapp.
    # Once done please close all the apps which are running in the background and reboot the phone.
    # Open the Playstore login and reinstall. Reopen the TomTom app and test

Should this not resolve the issue then please report it to the customer service so they can keep a track and collect similar reports which should speed up the investigation process."

Regards
    Vikram

Actually, I prefer if everyone who has this problem report it. Searching does not help if the solutions given don't work. Only if LOTS of people report the same problem will we get a solution.

Jeff
    I have spoken to technical support, the only workaround is to reinstall and open in flight mode. Currently, if that doesn't work there is no other fix.
    I have spoken to technical support, the only workaround is to reinstall and open in flight mode. Currently, if that doesn't work there is no other fix.

So what TomTom is saying is, if that doesn't work, tough s***. Nice solution to your OREO problem.
    Oh, btw everyone CoPilot works just fine on OREO. Not one hiccup.
    Nearly, he said that they are investing, with a view to providing a fix, but yeah. For now, nothing. Not sure if it's Oreo or disk size related, the S9 plus has 128gb in the UK.
    Only 64gb here in Canada. But I have a 200gb external. I do everything on my phone so I need the space.
    Please note:

External storage should be formatted in FAT32 not exFAT.

Any sd card over 32GB comes in exFAT and must be reformated to Fat32

TomTom has posted this many times.

Test TomTomGo with a smaller SD card 16GB or 32GB to see if the app then works.

If it works that you know that the larger SD cards are in the wrong format.

Yes other programs work with no problems at all.

But TomTomGo seems to have problems with exFAT until it can find a fix.

Now lets not boo hoo about that problem reformating the sd card is not hard to do.

And stay away from low quality memory cards they only cause problems

Most newer smartphones come with lots of internal memory 32gb and upwards so installing TomTomGo internally is always an option and it will load much faster.
    Did you actually read any of the comments above? It's installed on the internal storage, not the SD drive. Why don't you keep the patronising comments to yourself.

This forum is for help and advice!

You will also see that I have spoken to customer services, who tried to help. Don't you think that if it was as simple as file system they would have fixed it.

Also for your information, the technician told me that large SD cards were no longer a problem.
    Asprin624 wrote:
    Please note:

External storage should be formatted in FAT32 not exFAT.

Any sd card over 32GB comes in exFAT and must be reformated to Fat32

TomTom has posted this many times.

Test TomTomGo with a smaller SD card 16GB or 32GB to see if the app then works.

If it works that you know that the larger SD cards are in the wrong format.

Yes other programs work with no problems at all.

But TomTomGo seems to have problems with exFAT until it can find a fix.

Now lets not boo hoo about that problem reformating the sd card is not hard to do.

And stay away from low quality memory cards they only cause problems

Most newer smartphones come with lots of internal memory 32gb and upwards so installing TomTomGo internally is always an option and it will load much faster.

TomTom Go worked perfectly with Android 7 (Nougat) with the same "external" SDcard, so the problem is not the "external" SDcard. While I know "how" to format a SDcard to larger than 32gb in Fat32, it will limit the size of files you can store on it. Quick google search for you: https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+the+size+limit+for+fat32&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

I've been a computer technician for over 40 years (note I didn't say PC technician before you jump on that). Started with mainframes and knew how and why a drive needs formatting back then, so I know a little bit about the different drive formats. Fat32 was a patch and I never use it if I can avoid it. Causes more problems than it solves. I've seen servers that had been formatted with Fat32 and the admin was wondering why they were having problems with their databases. :dizzy_face:

At any rate, as was stated above, TomTom won't even save it's maps to the external drive so my external drive is not the issue (along with the fact that it worked on Nougat) and I've not changed the external drive one iota. The problem is TomTom on Android 8/Oreo. In the meantime I will use CoPilot. I don't like it as much as TomTom, but at least it works.

Jeff
    Nice response Jeff, I didn't even get to download the map. Simply won't open from first install. Allow permissions then hangs. C'est la vie! I have started using Waze again and was pleasantly surprised at how little data it used (4mb for an hours drive).
    Luckily, I still have some devices that run it fine and my subscription expires in a couple of weeks, so not the end of the world.
    I got TomTom Go working on my Samsung Galaxy S8+. The problem I found was the rights (permissions) given to TomTom were not sticking. I would pick "Allow" to each request and then it would hang at the "Loading" screen. So I went into Android's Settings/Apps and select GO. From there I would pick permissions and noticed that none were selected. So I selected them all and suddenly TomTom Go loaded to the setup screen and was asking what map I wanted to download. Picked my map and away it went. Loads perfectly now.

Jeff
    Thanks for the information Jeff, interesting. Unfortunately I have just checked and all the permissions have applied and stuck.
    There are many reasons why a GPS works on some Smartphones and not works on others.

No 2 Smartphone or Tablet manufacturers versions of Android 8 are the same.

Why one persons Smartphone works with TomTomGO and the other not can be for many reasons.

I ran into 2 Tablets that were bought at the sometime only to find out months later that the GPS was not working.

Been on the phone to the manufacturer many times trying to fix the problem.
    nothing worked.
    They were going to pick up the 2 tablets to see if the team could fix them.

Over the weekend I tried a couple of things first I removed the SD card from the first tablet. Reformatted the 32gb SD card first backing up all to my laptop.
    reinstalled the SD card. Then removed the Pin lock on the tablet.

Test Google map and GPS started working again.
    Tested TomTomGo and it worked.

Then this time I only added a pattern lock to the Tablet.

Rebooted tablet and all was working with the GPS.

I then repeated the test on the second tablet which had the same problem no GPS.

It also worked for the first time.

I informed the manufacturer of my findings and they will add it to their trouble shooting guide.

There are many many reasons for problems as to why apps act up.

It is not always TomTomGo that is at fault.

I also have over 40 years been in the IT world and have run into many strange problems that could not be explained as to why they were happening.

It is not always black and white......

So enough said on this topic
  • purrlynepurrlyne Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    I had this problem on two phones and eventually found a solution, even if it is a bit drastic. TomTom support were no help at all, giving me repeatedly only one suggestion that didn't work.

Return the phone to factory settings which also involves deleting all apps and files. Back up all important information before resetting the phone.

Then install Tomtom Go as the first app before going anything else. It should work and then you can install all your other apps and files. Tom Tom Go should continue to work OK.

I suspect that the original problem is caused by another app interfering with TomTom Go and installing it first stops this.
  • CaptainBCaptainB Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    This worked for me. Uninstall TomTom Go by forcing it to stop, then clearing the cache and then uninstall. Power down phone and remove SD Card. Reinstall TomTom Go and start the app. It should load OK. Install maps etc. Power down phone and reinsert SD Card. Restart phone and TomTom Go should continue to work OK.
  • LucaDNLucaDN Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    TundraAP wrote:
    Oh, btw everyone CoPilot works just fine on OREO. Not one hiccup.
    I doubt this is relevant ;)
    I tried Copilot and it worked fine, apparently. When I inserted my home postcode to add my home address, my street was not listed. And manually selecting home from the map resulted in a completely wrong postcode. I was not impressed, uninstalled it.
    Just to stay OT :D

The only workaround I found (I hope an update will be released ASAP) is to force stop the application, clear cache, and restart it.
    It's a PITA but it works at least.
    And on some lucky days it does not hang on startup. I am pretty confused
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category1

simpd002
simpd002